New AMD Ryzen Pricepoint??

Ok I was wondering, my pcs are due for an upgrade, disclaimer work pcs.

So I have 3 option, upgrade them:

1)Intel again

2)Go for Ryzen

3) Go Apple and regret it.

Truth be told I am dying to,make the switch and the WS are,long due for an upgrade, naught them used parts and my own scrap parts 3 years ago.

The question is this, without knowing the price of ryzen, how much would you be willing to pay for X99 counterparts for 75-85% lets say of the performance.

Just as a reference I need 2 light Ws for sales/ planning and project management stuff, 2 more for Cad design and light bed editing and my own for doing all of the above and some testing regarding business gear and server duties for the Business.

What would you be willing to pay???

3 hours ago, JamieOlive said:

Ok I was wondering, my pcs are due for an upgrade, disclaimer work pcs.

So I have 3 option, upgrade them:

1)Intel again

2)Go for Ryzen

3) Go Apple and regret it.

Truth be told I am dying to,make the switch and the WS are,long due for an upgrade, naught them used parts and my own scrap parts 3 years ago.

The question is this, without knowing the price of ryzen, how much would you be willing to pay for X99 counterparts for 75-85% lets say of the performance.

Just as a reference I need 2 light Ws for sales/ planning and project management stuff, 2 more for Cad design and light bed editing and my own for doing all of the above and some testing regarding business gear and server duties for the Business.

What would you be willing to pay???

If the equivalent Ryzen CPU performs roughly 75% slower than the comparable Intel CPU, it will cost ~75% of the price.

Expect Ryzen to cost where it performs. Expecting anything else is fanboying or naive. They might undercut Intel by a few percent, price wise, but I doubt by very much.

Take the 8c16t Ryzen flagship model, that has similar specs as an i7-6900K extreme processor. This CPU will in all likelihood, cost roughly the same as the Intel. Maybe $100 or $200 cheaper at best (And for a $1000 CPU, that's being generous).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If the equivalent Ryzen CPU performs roughly 75% slower than the comparable Intel CPU, it will cost ~75% of the price.

Expect Ryzen to cost where it performs. Expecting anything else is fanboying or naive. They might undercut Intel by a few percent, price wise, but I doubt by very much.

Take the 8c16t Ryzen flagship model, that has similar specs as an i7-6900K extreme processor. This CPU will in all likelihood, cost roughly the same as the Intel. Maybe $100 or $200 cheaper at best (And for a $1000 CPU, that's being generous).

If that is true then AMD will have a product Intel cannot respond to: a 75% performance and 75% price 6 core 12 thread chip means it will probably punch near to a 4790k but with 6 cores, not 4. 

That's a space intel has left untouched seemingly on purpose since jumping from 115x to 2011 platforms implies a huge jump in price as well, meanwhile a relatively cheap AMD b350 board (that's the middle tier ATX size one) will probably overclock and be a lot better price to performance overall to get a 6 core 12 threads parts than jumping to the 6800k or 5820k and substantially more expensive 2011 motherboards.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

They'd be idiots to not completely undercut intel.

I think that they could make a play,at 599 to 699$ for 8c/16t and around 300-500$ for the other two 4c/8t and 6c/12t...

That would be ideal...cause it would,make it pretty sweet deal for those on the edge...

Personally I would buy them,immediately for that price point at 70-80%,of the performance of,a 6900k.

49 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Please explain how this is a long term good move for AMD?

Consider the following scenario:

1. AMD prices 8x16t 6900K competitor at say $500

2. AMD loses significant profit from said SKU, which reduces payback on R&D

3. Intel sees the drastic price difference, and thus due to lost sales, cannot ignore it

4. Intel drops pricing to match

5. AMD runs out of money and dies

6. Intel does not, because they have BILLIONS OF USD available as cold hard cash

If AMD tries to drastically undercut Intel, Intel can simply drop prices, take the cut in profit, and wait AMD out. AMD, on the other hand, needs cold hard cash to pay back the R&D investments of making Ryzen, not to mention needing additional profit to pay off their insane debt.

Seriously, you're being massively naive.

AMD may undercut Intel by a few percent. Maybe up to 15% tops, but even then I'm skeptical. But if their product performs like the comparable Intel product, it will be similarly (if maybe slightly lower) priced.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

They were making noises about the mobos being cheaper than the Intel equivalents, and it would make sense they would price it keenly to grab market share. Obviously they won't be giving them away, but I'd be surprised if they didn't undercut Intel by a significant margin and aim to shift volume to turn a healthy profit. Unless of course yields are poor and they don't have as many to sell as the hoped.

4 hours ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

They'd be idiots TO completely undercut intel. They'd be throwing away profit. "Hm guys we can probably sell this similarly performing chip for 10% less than intel, but why don't we sell it for 40% less just to make sure everyone buys it?"

Yeah, that's an awful business plan. 

3 hours ago, corrado33 said:

They'd be idiots TO completely undercut intel. They'd be throwing away profit. "Hm guys we can probably sell this similarly performing chip for 10% less than intel, but why don't we sell it for 40% less just to make sure everyone buys it?"

Yeah, that's an awful business plan. 

Not only that: If we assume AMD are not idiots, then they have to know that if they start a Pricing War with Intel, they. will. lose.