Tough decision plz read

Hey guys i need a couple of people to help me with a tough decision and its whether  i should get the new razer blade stealth with a 4k screen and 512 gb ssd which has a dual core i7 or should i just get the new razer blade which has a quad core but only 216 gb of ssd and only full hd (1080p)  but i can actually game on it. The use that i will have for this laptop is basically light work for college and work the absolute most that i will do is edit video in 1080p and wont be that regularly i am set on a budget of $2000 i do have a full desktop with a 6600k and a 1070. with that being said i do however spend some time away from home and need to get my work done while commuting from home to school to work as i said before it will be used for work and senior lvl of highschool all the way through my senior year of college so i need it to last me a good 4 years any help or insight would be nice.

depends what classes u have i guess. if you work in adobe ill or photoshop and such i would suggest getting a 4k screen with 512 gb ssd as the i7 IS an i7 despite it being 2 cores.
however if its something like Programming or design, i would suggest the 4 cores as that would definitely make a difference.

Also don't worry about storage u can always upgrade in the future.

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

neither because of razer's quality control and thermal problems.

Go for an XPS 15

do they have a 4k display ? 

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

neither because of razer's quality control and thermal problems.

Go for an XPS 15

Honestly what he said is true. if you're going to razer just for the looks you're taking the wrong route. stop thinking about what kids will think of you and get something actually viable. there are plenty of other better laptops you can get especially at 2 thousand dolllars. one with storage, and i7 with 4 cores even dedicated graphics.

5 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

Honestly what he said is true. if you're going to razer just for the looks you're taking the wrong route. stop thinking about what kids will think of you and get something actually viable. there are plenty of other better laptops you can get especially at 2 thousand dolllars. one with storage, and i7 with 4 cores even dedicated graphics.

do you guys have any other options because the xps15 doesnt have 16 gb of memory which for me is something that im not really willing to compromise on I also need it to be light and slim 

4k display on a notebook.... just... why? even if you do professional graphical work, remember how small these screen are anyways... also razer is overpriced, the Apple of PCs, with this budget I would get the desktop but I wouldnt bother with the 6600k and get the 6700 with a cheap h110m board.

Or like stated XPs 15 or an Acer Aspire V 15 Nitro VN7 the prettiest high end laptop I know of

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

What programs will you be using? If it's Photoshop, get as much RAM as possible. Even 32GB would be useful.

Why do you want a 4k screen? Sounds like unnecessary battery drain to me.

Honestly, if it's a school rig and you still have your desktop accessible at home, get something like an ultrabook. You'll get much better battery life, and it'll actually be more useful for you school wise.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, Nvmeisfuture said:

do you guys have any other options because the xps15 doesnt have 16 gb of memory which for me is something that im not really willing to compromise on I also need it to be light and slim 

heres what you do. you buy the laptop. upgrade ram buy buying it seperately along with ssd if you're really that picky

the end. its not that hard lol if you have a budget of 2k it shouldn't be a problem. you also said you have a desktop at home which that other guy obviously didn't read >_>. so this should be set. done deal

is the Microsoft surface book worth taking a look at for an ultra book experience ?

Xps15 does have 16gb of ram. You could even upgrade it to 32gb.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

whyd u even make a topic if ur werent going to listen to anyones advice?

Neither go Apple. Apple OS gives you free FREE Pages (MS worlds) Numbers (MS excel) keynote (MS powerpoint) and did you say video editing

Linus pussied out. Notice if you use Final Cut then its really good.

To be precise Macbook Pro 13 inch with touch bar. That touch bar is really good when video editing  

1 hour ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

free FREE Pages (MS worlds) Numbers (MS excel) keynote (MS powerpoint)

Heads up. No professional uses theses. Word, excel and ppt are standards of the industry. Nobody uses anything else. 

1 hour ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

Notice if you use Final Cut then its really good.

Only fcp. But then it chugs on excel and heavy Photoshop cause not optimized, duo core and no DGPU. 

Also the new Macbooks have shit battery life.

Laptop Main

Definitely don't go for the MacBook pro, this generation is pretty bad IMO, I've used it and it's just not very good. The Dell XPS is a beautiful option, my friend owns one and it's really nice. 

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

That's not true. A lot of professional writers get Macs just for Pages.

Proof? Link? Source?

A clevo would probably be a better option if it's this kind of need and demand in mind.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

58 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

even JK Rowling uses a Mac

she's rolling in dough and feels obligated to look more sophisticated than the rest of the writers out there... that's not to mention that a fairly recent Macbook will cost upwards of 2500$ at minimum specs and the ram is soldered onto the motherboard. So is the SSD... so forget upgradability or anything above 16GB DDR3 RAM.

So go with the above suggestion of XPS15, you won't be disappointed for the most part.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

(uses a Macbook Air, which is a wholly different category from the XPS 15)

And excuse you for assuming her motives. Besides, she's not the only one.

apologies accepted.

9 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

That's not true. A lot of professional writers get Macs just for Pages.

Ahhh that's true. I forgot about that. I'm talking about the rest though. Airlines, banks, mining, energy, financial etc. You are right that writers like to use pages. I read that somewhere too. 

Laptop Main

19 hours ago, Pendragon said:
21 hours ago, NA_NotAvailable said:

free FREE Pages (MS worlds) Numbers (MS excel) keynote (MS powerpoint)

Heads up. No professional uses theses. Word, excel and ppt are standards of the industry. Nobody uses anything else. 

My recommendation was made on this statement. For college Pages is good and even for work. you might have to get excel.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:09 AM, Nvmeisfuture said:

i will have for this laptop is basically light work for college and work the absolute most that i will do is edit video in 1080p

Video edit, Final Cut Pro.

I recommended the Macbook Pro 13 with touch BUT BUT know what will be really nice?

Get a Laptop any laptop EXCEPT razer (because you might as well get a Mac) and put hackintosh on it. (hackintosh has a problems but its the best of both worlds. 

11 hours ago, Jean-Nicholas said:

she's rolling in dough and feels obligated to look more sophisticated than the rest of the writers out there... that's not to mention that a fairly recent Macbook will cost upwards of 2500$ at minimum specs and the ram is soldered onto the motherboard. So is the SSD... so forget upgradability or anything above 16GB DDR3 RAM.

Jean-Nicholas tends to hate everything and thus the facts aren't always straight. If he is talking about Macbook Pro the 13 starts at $USD 1500 without touchbar and with $USD 1,800 for the 15 it starts at $USD 2,400. That being said he does bring some light into situations. Apple's view is cloud storage and external storage thus all ports being thunderbolt. EVEN then its not for the average consumer. It is a amazing machine, I love the OS and for something to use such old parts and still compete with current gen PC is a testitiment to how good the OS is.

IF you are a content creator/ really into content creating then only then would i even suggest you go for a Macbook pro.

IF you are a average consumer get a normal PC and get hackintosh on it. Sure it will have some problems but its the middle ground of a Macbook  and a PC without shelling out a fortune for it.

and Jean-Nicholas read this

thou Jean-Nicholas is a hater he does give some advice that are well worth it. IF you are thinking about getting a Razer blade you are better off getting a https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE72VR-Apache-Pro-024-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IS33QWY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483764112&sr=1-4&keywords=msi%2Blaptop%2Bgaming&th=1&tag=linus21-20

He found it and I do think it is a better option than a Razer.

On 09/01/2017 at 1:25 AM, NA_NotAvailable said:

Jean-Nicholas tends to hate everything

I don't hate everything... else I'd be dealt with by staff already... I just have a pessimistic and rather negative point of view on things. That said, I always forget I'm using CAD rather than USD for my prices so, there you go, lol.

I also don't hate on the iOS/OS X platform, I just find it incredibly hard to adopt something like that without a bulging wallet in the first place.

I will say this, Razer, for what their products are, makes more premium hardware than MSI, which is more focused on price to performance ratios.