How do you live without an optical drive?

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

No. Don't put Windows.iso in there. You need to use a program to make it bootable. Simple copy pasting won't work

Check RUFUS

Also by default the program will format everything thta is inside

What program do I have to use?

What is RUFUS?

Just now, Hip said:

What program do I have to use?

What is RUFUS?

RUFUS is the program you should use. Windows should have it when installing anyway (win 10 or 8) so you don't need one

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

RUFUS is the program you should use. Windows should have it when installing anyway (win 10 or 8) so you don't need one

I have Windows 10, so I should have the program already? Where can I find it?

21 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

So you make one on another computer the same way you burn the DVD on another computer, it's 2016, it's not like you can't gain access to someones computer for an hour to make the Flash drive.

edit: clearly you have access to a computer right now, get a 5 dollar 8GB USB 3.0 flash drive, create the installer with your current computer and just keep it around for when you need the installer the same way you keep a DVD around now.

By the time you find another machine and download the iso. the person with the optical drive is already done installing windows. Great way to waste time isn't it?

And MS do sell USB versions of win10 for those who don't have a optical drive. They need to select the right one before buying.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

By the time you find another machine and download the iso. the person with the optical drive is already done installing windows. Great way to waste time isn't it?

And MS do sell USB versions of win10 for those who don't have a optical drive. They need to select the right one before buying.

Last I looked once I made the Bootable USB I don't have to REMAKE it everytime, it's just my "copy" of Windows that I pull out anytime i need to install the same way I used to pull out my copy of windows I had burned to DVD after downloading, because unless your internet just sucks I can about guarantee it's FASTER to download then to order it and wait for it to be delivered.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Last I looked once I made the Bootable USB I don't have to REMAKE it everytime, it's just my "copy" of Windows that I pull out anytime i need to install the same way I used to pull out my copy of windows I had burned to DVD after downloading, because unless your internet just sucks I can about guarantee it's FASTER to download then to order it and wait for it to be delivered.

internet speed is nothing when don't have access to anything.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

55 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

internet speed is nothing when don't have access to anything.

General rule of thumb, when building a computer have access to another computer, never know when you might need something online, I've had more then a few occasions doing clean installs on laptops where I had to use my laptop to download the driver to get the wifi on the laptop I was working on working so it could get the rest of the drivers.

10 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

General rule of thumb, when building a computer have access to another computer, never know when you might need something online, I've had more then a few occasions doing clean installs on laptops where I had to use my laptop to download the driver to get the wifi on the laptop I was working on working so it could get the rest of the drivers.

I have access to other pcs. The point is to minimize wasted time.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

A combination of streaming and usb drives honestly. The only PC in this house with an optical drive is an old HP slimline desktop. 

Although, I'm considering a blu ray drive if I catch a good enough sale since there is a boxset OVA I want...

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I have access to other pcs. The point is to minimize wasted time.

PLEASE tell me how creating a copy on a flash drive (that you can use OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN), that requires about as much interaction as ordering a disc (or flash drive) from Amazon or Newegg (which can be done weeks ahead of time) and you have that drive for ANY future installs you may do on ANY MACHINE is wasting more time then ordering? this way I can do it all in my house and not have to WAIT for something to arrive in the mail or drive to a store, to me that saves tons of time.

I installed Windows (and even Office on a few occasions) for years from DVD's that I downloaded and burned from the internet using the Media Creation Tool, even with the few minutes it takes to get the process of creating the drive started I still spend LESS time interacting with it and Installing Windows then it takes to install Windows 1 time from DVD it's also CHEAPER this way as you can buy your key from something like Kinguin for like 30 bucks instead of the 90+ it costs to get a OEM Windows Key with physical media and have it shipped to you. I save BIG money (like enough to DOUBLE the RAM or add a 1TB HDD in a tower) and can do it all at home and even while the files are downloading I can still use my personal computer to do OTHER stuff, there is NO WAY it's faster to have to wait for something to ship.

Even if you don't buy from Kinguin you can still buy just the key CHEAPER then the copies with a DVD or Flash drive installer.

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

A combination of streaming and usb drives honestly. The only PC in this house with an optical drive is an old HP slimline desktop. 

Although, I'm considering a blu ray drive if I catch a good enough sale since there is a boxset OVA I want...

That's a good point.

I am thinking about buying a NZXT S340 - which has no optical drive. But I would really like to have a bluray player inside too.

I'm torn apart rather to buy or not to buy a case without optical drive.

26 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Snip

The problem with your thinking is, you have access to other pc means everyone else does too. Don't have access to other pcs?! How is that possible. It just can't be. It's 2016.

I have access to other pcs, yes i can download it once and save it for future use. But do others out there, have the same option. Probably not.

A person who does not have any builds at home nor any access to another pc. Needs to pay attention on the type of os they get. Win10 come in both disc and usb. Got the disc version, get a optical drive.  Don't want a optical drive, buy win10 on a usb.

As for your downloading ahead of time, how can they download ahead of time, when they don't even have a computer?

@Hip

Some cases have slim loading bays 

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The problem with your thinking is, you have access to other pc means everyone else does too. Don't have access to other pcs?! How is that possible. It just can't be. It's 2016.

I have access to other pcs, yes i can download it once and save it for future use. But do others out there, have the same option. Probably not.

A person who does not have any builds at home nor any access to another pc. Needs to pay attention on the type of os they get. Win10 come in both disc and usb. Got the disc version, get a optical drive.  Don't want a optical drive, buy win10 on a usb.

As for your downloading ahead of time, how can they download ahead of time, when they don't even have a computer?

@Hip

To be fair, not everyone has a smartphone so it's more common to order PC parts off of another computer be it friend, family, neighbor or even public access if they are okay with using a usb drive with their system--those scenerios will allow you to create a bootable usb to install Windows/order an optical drive with a physical disc so it's kinda moot either way tbh

If someone orders a prebuilt, it would have Windows installed anyway and a PC shop would have that sorted as well. 

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

@Hip

What is a slim loading bay? ^^

5 hours ago, Hip said:

What is a slim loading bay? ^^

Cases that has a 5.25" drive bay, that uses laptop size drives. Some cases have them and the drive uses micro sata/power cables. 

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Must make yourself a Windows install USB drive and keep that as your permanent USB install drive.  Don't be like 'I'll reformat this now to put some files on and later I'll remember to put Windows back on it'.  This Black Friday I just ordered a cheap Kingston 8GB SE9 G2 key and it's now my perm Windows 10 Pro install key.  (I'd love to find a Windows logo keychain to mark it with).  While you will have to make this, once, it's no different than the many people who's purchases of Windows 10 came as an ISO (My free copies of Windows 7 and 8 from school was just serials and a download link to the disc image).  You burn your CD/DVD and keep it.  Even if you have a full commercial optical disc, if it's your only copy, you're just as screwed if you lose it or break it.

That all said, there can be cases where one needs an optical drive.  If you want to rip that favorite CD or convert a DVD/BD you bought to play on your PC.  Maybe you bought some accessory and for some insane reason the drivers are on disc only.  While it'd be rare, if ever, you really did need an optical drive, it wouldn't necessarily be a stupid idea to have a cheap USB DVDRW drive on a shelf somewhere.  I have four PCs and one laptop and only the main workstation even has an optical drive.

...An LG BDRW BDXL drive bought Boxing Day 2012 that so far has only been used to rip some DVDs and only ripped it's first BDs this month...  It's never even burned a disc since I owned it. >_>

19 hours ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

I would like to know how your overall impression from using a pc case with no optical drive is.

For example with the NZXT S340 or the Corsair 400C.

Hope to get your pro & cons.

If you really need one than get a $20 USB external drive from Amazon to use when you need it like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Pictek-External-Portable-Desktops-Notebooks/dp/B01DXCY55C/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1481297130&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=usb+dvd+drive&psc=1

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Cases that has a 5.25" drive bay, that uses laptop size drives. Some cases have them and the drive uses micro sata/power cables. 

Ah ok, good to know. Can you recommend me one of these?

4 minutes ago, Hip said:

Ah ok, good to know. Can you recommend me one of these?

There aren't many cases with it, so you'll have to look around. Silverstone, Antec, Lian-Li are some of them I've seen that has it and there are two types. Tray and Slot.

SlimDVDRW-Slot-Tray.jpg

This case uses the slot loading type

cooltek-jonsbo-umx2-sides-large.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Must make yourself a Windows install USB drive and keep that as your permanent USB install drive.  Don't be like 'I'll reformat this now to put some files on and later I'll remember to put Windows back on it'.  This Black Friday I just ordered a cheap Kingston 8GB SE9 G2 key and it's now my perm Windows 10 Pro install key.  (I'd love to find a Windows logo keychain to mark it with).  While you will have to make this, once, it's no different than the many people who's purchases of Windows 10 came as an ISO (My free copies of Windows 7 and 8 from school was just serials and a download link to the disc image).  You burn your CD/DVD and keep it.  Even if you have a full commercial optical disc, if it's your only copy, you're just as screwed if you lose it or break it.

That all said, there can be cases where one needs an optical drive.  If you want to rip that favorite CD or convert a DVD/BD you bought to play on your PC.  Maybe you bought some accessory and for some insane reason the drivers are on disc only.  While it'd be rare, if ever, you really did need an optical drive, it wouldn't necessarily be a stupid idea to have a cheap USB DVDRW drive on a shelf somewhere.  I have four PCs and one laptop and only the main workstation even has an optical drive.

...An LG BDRW BDXL drive bought Boxing Day 2012 that so far has only been used to rip some DVDs and only ripped it's first BDs this month...  It's never even burned a disc since I owned it. >_>

That's a good summary of the main question. Thank you for this.

I have downloaded the MediaCreationTool now and have a Windows.ISO on my desktop. So I just have to use RUFUS now and make a new USB Stick a boot loadable device with this file yes?

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

There aren't many cases with it, so you'll have to look around. Silverstone, Antec, Lian-Li are some of them I've seen that has it and there are two types. Tray and Slot.

SlimDVDRW-Slot-Tray.jpg

This case uses the slot loading type

cooltek-jonsbo-umx2-sides-large.jpg

Well I was thining about the NZXT S340 Elite case. Which has none. I think I will have to buy a external, if I will have to use one. The two cases I considered where the Corsair 450d (with an optical drive) and the NZXT S340 Elite (without an optical drive).

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

Well I was thining about the NZXT S340 Elite case. Which has none. I think I will have to buy a external, if I will have to use one. The two cases I considered where the Corsair 450d (with an optical drive) and the NZXT S340 Elite (without an optical drive).

Just pick a case that's right for you and the appropriate optical drives you think it's best. Internal ones can only be used in that PC, while external can be used on any PC.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I use and optical drive for Blu-rays and DVDs as well as ripping music off CDs that I'm given.

Even if I didn't do these things I would still have an optical drive because my system just feels empty without it.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I've an external Blu Ray drive sitting on top of my desktop. It gets some use about every month or so. It came in handy installing drivers when lacking Internet as my network of technologically inclined friends is nonexistent. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 12/8/2016 at 11:57 AM, Hip said:

Hey guys,

I would like to know how your overall impression from using a pc case with no optical drive is.

For example with the NZXT S340 or the Corsair 400C.

Hope to get your pro & cons.

Only use I and many others I would Imagine have an optical drive is ripping bluerays.