GTX 1060, GTX 980 or RX 480?

somerandomguy12
1 hour ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

the advantage of the rx480 is that high hz freesync monitors dont come at as much of a premium than their g sync equivalent also alot more choice in the freesync market

This is the exact reason Vega looks real promising.

14 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

This is the exact reason Vega looks real promising.

and if you compare the sheer amount of freesync monitors available versus g sync

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 hour ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

and if you compare the sheer amount of freesync monitors available versus g sync

The price difference on ultrawides puts AMD ahead on upper tier cards without them existing yet, imo.

1 minute ago, JabroniBaloney said:

The price difference on ultrawides puts AMD ahead on upper tier cards without them existing yet, imo.

well g-sync is more resticting afaik it changes the colours/calibration or something, 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

18 hours ago, somerandomguy12 said:

They are selling for £220

oh lol my bad
1060 if you ask me

On 2 December 2016 at 9:32 PM, 1Reshiram12 said:

980 is the most powerful of the 3, but the best value for performance is probably the 1060.

On 2 December 2016 at 10:31 PM, just tilt said:

if you can afford a 980 why not buy a 1070?

On 2 December 2016 at 10:28 PM, NuclearKing said:

Get the 1060, which is about equivalent to the 980, and it works with less power (so you can use a smaller PSU) and its more efficient than the RX 480. I bought the 1060 and I'm extremely happy.

On 2 December 2016 at 10:26 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

GTX 1060 6GB

The cheapest one that is not a blower style card, is not a mini (unless you want a mini) and has a backplate (if you don't care, ignore backplate)

EDIT: This would be the better 1060 to get in the states and probably other places as well:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7RKhP6/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-windforce-oc-6g-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd

But if you can get a deal on a R9 Fury and you have a good 650W + PSU i would get this instead:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M2mxFT/sapphire-video-card-112470340g

On 2 December 2016 at 10:24 PM, smokefest said:

get the 1060... it performs better than a 980... and its newwer, and has more vram

On 2 December 2016 at 9:45 PM, KOMTechAndGaming said:

the advantage of the rx480 is that high hz freesync monitors dont come at as much of a premium than their g sync equivalent also alot more choice in the freesync market

On 2 December 2016 at 9:41 PM, PCMR Ricos said:

So 8GB would be more future proof too, hope I helped and enjoy your gaming!

Just one thing, what is your CPU? (Just to check if there will be bottleneck)

On 2 December 2016 at 9:32 PM, Starelementpoke said:

If they all are so close, then 1060.

On 2 December 2016 at 9:45 PM, KOMTechAndGaming said:

On 2 December 2016 at 9:34 PM, Starelementpoke said:

Bit stronger than the 980/just as strong with more VRAM.

On 2 December 2016 at 9:32 PM, 1Reshiram12 said:

980 is the most powerful of the 3, but the best value for performance is probably the 1060.

Thanks for all your help guys. I've decided on a RX 480. This is due to a £30 lower price tag and a recent hardware chucknucks video showing that the RX 480 will perform slightly better (1 or 2 FPS) in DX 12 games. Yes the  GTX 1060 will be better for the next year or so as games are still on DX 11 but I am willing to invest in the future.

I have more dedocated WAM than you on my Minecraft server!

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

i5 4460 w/ Raijintek Aidos cooler

XFX TS 650W PSU

Cheap OEM Acer motherboard w/ Cheap dollar tree Micro-ATX case

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

On 12/2/2016 at 10:30 PM, somerandomguy12 said:

The question is in the title as all of them are just above the £200 mark. with the GTX 1060 I would only want the 6GB model and I am not sure for which model to go for in the case of the RX 480 Should should I buy?

The RX 480 is faster than 1060 and with drivers an future DX12 title will become even more so.

Go with the RX 480 8GB.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

The RX 480 is now winning over with performance. As enthusiasts voted it's a smarter buy, it definately is, and it's also the case with drivers...

Your choices are:

Get RX 480 (at the about the same price as a GTX1060) and get FreeSync for free - gives you chance to opt for a better monitor or save $200.

Get a GTX 1060 and PAY $200 more on top for G-Sync.

Even though I have a GTX 980 from back 2014, I did not buy into this big scam of G-Sync. nVidia won't get away with this, and with Vega 10 coming on front, a GTX 1080 would have to run for its money.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

the 980 does not support DX12 and async compute as well as either of the other two. That will impact the longevity of your purchase

24 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

the 980 does not support DX12 and async compute as well as either of the other two. That will impact the longevity of your purchase

980 support DX12, in fact it support DX12 with feature level 12_1 compare to RX 480 with feature level 12_0. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

980 support DX12, in fact it support DX12 with feature level 12_1 compare to RX 480 with feature level 12_0. 

It does but Maxwell async compute performance is no different than it is without enabling the setting. Async compute improves pascal and and to an even greater extent AMD Polaris performance

17 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

It does but Maxwell async compute performance is no different than it is without enabling the setting. Async compute improves pascal and and to an even greater extent AMD Polaris performance

Yes, Async-Compute on Maxwell will actually cripple the card performance when use heavily but the card excel in DX11 and if the game offer both DX12/DX11 then just stick with DX11 like in BF1.

GTX-1060-UPDATE-72.jpg

GTX-1060-UPDATE-60.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

don

18 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Yes, Async-Compute on Maxwell will actually cripple the card performance when use heavily but the card excel in DX11 and if the game offer both DX12/DX11 then just stick with DX11 like in BF1.

The maxwell cards are excellent cards. The only thing against them now in December 2016 is that they are 2014 technology that has been made obsolete by pascal. DX12 didn't exist when they were introduced to the market so what is going to become more important from this point of time forward was not included in the design of the card that will require more and more compromises over time. It happens. It it the very nature of technology. Time moves on and new tech emerges. If you have a 980, and are prepared to compromise game settings down from ultra and can run at dx11, there is probably no driving force to upgrade to a 1060. 

That being said, I cannot see the value in investing now in an obsolete technology that is already starting to ask for compromises when for teh same price, you can get something that doesn't ask for compromises at all.

Get the 1060 because I'm using one and it performance is remarkable 

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

snip pictures

The GTX 980 was a great card. The Maxwell generation was great for what it offered, but it is getting old now, I mean, since I already have it, I might as well keep it until Vega 10 releases (it will be ok for that short term), then I would buy a good Ultrawide monitor with FreeSync, upgrade to AMD Vega cards, and then I may keep it for longer. I however DO NOT suggest buying a GTX 980 - it's too late to go on the Maxwell GM204 and even GM200 (GTX 980Ti) now, back then it was a blast with this card.

I bought it cuz of greediness to have more Vram for the Skyrim mods and other games, and on top, I did not want AMD (even if they had 8GB Vram), cuz I thought of them being crap, only for consoles and stuff, well, until I did not start digging up what they got, and found out it's the opposite way.

AMD gave people more value for better performance and technology, yet, they bought nVidia, cuz of that mindshare, NVIDIA really is a cool name especially for a GPU company, you will always remember it, it's like a name that, in a way, signifies "quality products". And this is really how they make so much money.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

2 hours ago, GTBTK said:

don

The maxwell cards are excellent cards. The only thing against them now in December 2016 is that they are 2014 technology that has been made obsolete by pascal. DX12 didn't exist when they were introduced to the market so what is going to become more important from this point of time forward was not included in the design of the card that will require more and more compromises over time. It happens. It it the very nature of technology. Time moves on and new tech emerges. If you have a 980, and are prepared to compromise game settings down from ultra and can run at dx11, there is probably no driving force to upgrade to a 1060. 

That being said, I cannot see the value in investing now in an obsolete technology that is already starting to ask for compromises when for teh same price, you can get something that doesn't ask for compromises at all.

LOL, Radeon HD 7970 released on 2011 but it already support Async Compute. How do you explain that?

1 hour ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

The GTX 980 was a great card. The Maxwell generation was great for what it offered, but it is getting old now, I mean, since I already have it, I might as well keep it until Vega 10 releases (it will be ok for that short term), then I would buy a good Ultrawide monitor with FreeSync, upgrade to AMD Vega cards, and then I may keep it for longer. I however DO NOT suggest buying a GTX 980 - it's too late to go on the Maxwell GM204 and even GM200 (GTX 980Ti) now, back then it was a blast with this card.

I bought it cuz of greediness to have more Vram for the Skyrim mods and other games, and on top, I did not want AMD (even if they had 8GB Vram), cuz I thought of them being crap, only for consoles and stuff, well, until I did not start digging up what they got, and found out it's the opposite way.

AMD gave people more value for better performance and technology, yet, they bought nVidia, cuz of that mindshare, NVIDIA really is a cool name especially for a GPU company, you will always remember it, it's like a name that, in a way, signifies "quality products". And this is really how they make so much money.

I know, i just pointing the misinformation about 980 doesn't support DX12.

They all perform the same. I would get a 480 because of AMD's track record of longevity. If you do decide to upgrade, FreeSync monitors are cheaper too.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

LOL, Radeon HD 7970 released on 2011 but it already support Async Compute. How do you explain that?

GCN architecture of  AMD cards has been designed to specifically support Async compute and do it in hardware. AMD developed Mantle to support it back in 2011 and it was exclusive to AMD hardware. Mantle is now dead but it did provide the foundations for Vulkan. 

Before Vulkan and DX12, there was no API that nvidia could use that made use of Async compute so the hardware was not designed for it. Even now, they are using software schedulers to provide that functionality on pascal cards that AMD is doing in silicon. Nvidia cards have been hardware optimized much more for DX11 non async applications. That is why we are seeing huge performance jumps with AMD 390 and Fury cards cards in Vulkan and well written DX12 titles and Nvidia is not really improving at all 

On 07/12/2016 at 4:52 PM, GTBTK said:

GCN architecture of  AMD cards has been designed to specifically support Async compute and do it in hardware. AMD developed Mantle to support it back in 2011 and it was exclusive to AMD hardware. Mantle is now dead but it did provide the foundations for Vulkan. 

Before Vulkan and DX12, there was no API that nvidia could use that made use of Async compute so the hardware was not designed for it. Even now, they are using software schedulers to provide that functionality on pascal cards that AMD is doing in silicon. Nvidia cards have been hardware optimized much more for DX11 non async applications. That is why we are seeing huge performance jumps with AMD 390 and Fury cards cards in Vulkan and well written DX12 titles and Nvidia is not really improving at all 

On 07/12/2016 at 4:12 PM, ivan134 said:

They all perform the same. I would get a 480 because of AMD's track record of longevity. If you do decide to upgrade, FreeSync monitors are cheaper too.

On 07/12/2016 at 2:44 PM, xAcid9 said:

I know, i just pointing the misinformation about 980 doesn't support DX12.

On 07/12/2016 at 0:53 PM, WhiteSkyMage said:

On 07/12/2016 at 0:49 PM, lawmen2002 said:

Get the 1060 because I'm using one and it performance is remarkable 

On 07/12/2016 at 11:38 AM, GTBTK said:

don

On 07/12/2016 at 11:22 AM, xAcid9 said:

GTX-1060-UPDATE-72.jpg

GTX-1060-UPDATE-60.jpg

On 07/12/2016 at 11:00 AM, GTBTK said:

On 07/12/2016 at 10:57 AM, xAcid9 said:

On 07/12/2016 at 10:01 AM, WhiteSkyMage said:

The RX 480 is now winning over with performance. As enthusiasts voted it's a smarter buy, it definately is, and it's also the case with drivers...

Your choices are:

Get RX 480 (at the about the same price as a GTX1060) and get FreeSync for free - gives you chance to opt for a better monitor or save $200.

Get a GTX 1060 and PAY $200 more on top for G-Sync.

Even though I have a GTX 980 from back 2014, I did not buy into this big scam of G-Sync. nVidia won't get away with this, and with Vega 10 coming on front, a GTX 1080 would have to run for its money.

On 07/12/2016 at 9:10 AM, Vode said:

The RX 480 is faster than 1060 and with drivers an future DX12 title will become even more so.

Go with the RX 480 8GB.

On 04/12/2016 at 4:39 PM, just tilt said:

oh lol my bad
1060 if you ask me

On 03/12/2016 at 3:17 PM, KOMTechAndGaming said:

well g-sync is more resticting afaik it changes the colours/calibration or something, 

On 03/12/2016 at 3:15 PM, JabroniBaloney said:

We have a nice debate going on. :)

Anyway, thanks agian but I have a new question

Should I pay £10 ($14) more for this XFX RX 480 or go for the reference one which is £10 cheaper?

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-rs-8gb-dd-rx-480p8lfb6

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

rx480s run quite warm. The the hotter they get, the more they down clock to manage temps. The better cooler will give you better performance. I would get the card with the best custom cooler and avoid the blower style reference units.

18 minutes ago, somerandomguy12 said:

We have a nice debate going on. :)

Anyway, thanks agian but I have a new question

Should I pay £10 ($14) more for this XFX RX 480 or go for the reference one which is £10 cheaper?

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-rs-8gb-dd-rx-480p8lfb6

Don't get the reference. What other 480s are close to that price?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

32 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

rx480s run quite warm. The the hotter they get, the more they down clock to manage temps. The better cooler will give you better performance. I would get the card with the best custom cooler and avoid the blower style reference units.

28 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Don't get the reference. What other 480s are close to that price?

Those are the only choices under £230($289.38).

I could get the 

MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 

but that is 4GB

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1 minute ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Those are the only choices under £230($289.38).

I could get the 

MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 

but that is 4GB

Get the xfx

woud go 1060, it the best bang4buck and it has newer custom software just as the intire gtx -10 series

3 minutes ago, alexkohuis said:

woud go 1060, it the best bang4buck and it has newer custom software just as the intire gtx -10 series

The RX 480 has better bang 4 buck for Vulkan and DX12 games. So in a few months that will be the best one.

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM