Wich processor will be better for programming

So i'm getting an upgrade for my actual pc cause it's getting older and I need help deciding wich processor should i pick the options are i5 (6500, 6600k) i7(6700, 6700k) those are my options i have the mony for a desent MOBO and tridentz z RAM but i don't know wich processor perform better for web development and programming

If you're testing games, you'll need something beefy to actually RUN the game. If you're only looking at code, get an i3.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

You don't need much for web development and programming. the 6500 won't have a problem. If you were doing something more intense then get an i7 for the threads

Well if your just writing code any cpu will do. if your making a game and need to test it get an i5 or i7 if you can afford it 

Everyone should own a vive.

Are you going to be running a localhost install and stuff on your computer? If so then an i3 is out IMO.

More cores plus threads is always nice when compiling large projects. I would go i7 solely for that reason

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Any.

To be a bit more specific, it depends on what you want to engineer.  But since you just want to do web development, any processor.  You can get an i3, and it will work perfectly.

Web development is one of the least processor intensive things one could development.  Hell, any n00b can do web development.  That is why I call web developers, weblings.

49 minutes ago, savstars said:

Any.

To be a bit more specific, it depends on what you want to engineer.  But since you just want to do web development, any processor.  You can get an i3, and it will work perfectly.

Web development is one of the least processor intensive things one could development.  Hell, any n00b can do web development.  That is why I call web developers, weblings.

Don't knock us web developers. REAL web development done properly takes skill and is not easy. Sure anyone can sign up for Wix and create a half decent looking website. But to code your own website and add a bunch of custom functionality, that is not something that anyone can just jump up and do.

2 hours ago, Carlos Jaime said:

So i'm getting an upgrade for my actual pc cause it's getting older and I need help deciding wich processor should i pick the options are i5 (6500, 6600k) i7(6700, 6700k) those are my options i have the mony for a desent MOBO and tridentz z RAM but i don't know wich processor perform better for web development and programming

Go i5 unless you can easily afford an i7. An i5 is plenty powerful and should do the job though.

As long as it's intel and it has 4 or more cores (not 2 hyperthreaded) with boost to 3GHz it won't be a bottle neck for common software development. Keep in mind that game dev is exception from all the rules. 

1 hour ago, savstars said:

Dude, good web devs, of any persuasion (Full stack, front end, or back end) are just as good at programming as anyone else. The problems they have to solve are as difficult and sometimes more difficult than problems that others have to solve. We are even starting to see AI development take place in web *stuff*

The point is: There's more to being a webdev than basic HTML/CSS you know. You still have to know computer science stuff, and you still have to be able to engineer/architect good software systems, just like any type of programming.

3 hours ago, Carlos Jaime said:

If all you do on it is web development and programming, I would get the nicest processor that you can that costs the same as the i5-6500. Personally though, I try to save up and buy way more than I need because I keep my computers for nearly a decade. My shortest lived daily driver was 3 years old when I replaced it. The other two were 7 and going on 4 with no end in sight.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

An i5 will be sufficient but an i7 would be most optimal. Just ensure that you also incorporate a high end SSD in your build.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

i7 if you can, but it really doesn't matter that much.  For web development and programming you really won't need much, because you will most likely be using HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL etc which are all pretty light.  If you want to make games then it might be worth getting an i7 to make things faster.  Chances are that you are probably going to be doing pretty basic stuff, and that's why I suggest the i5, I use an i5 on my desktop, and it runs fine with everything I do.  

Don't think that getting an i7 will necessarily make a big difference, because in reality, although it's better it won't necessarily make a difference to your web development and programming. 

I was programming with an older i3 in JAVA, doing factorial recursion and iteratio  along with Big O computations for runtimes. My new laptop with i7 does perform significantly better in computing over my i3.

I would go with the higher performance processor just to future proof your hardware. If you do basic Web Development, but want to do more complex things in the future,  you'll probably wish you went with the other option.

12 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Dude, good web devs, of any persuasion (Full stack, front end, or back end) are just as good at programming as anyone else

There's something to be said about writing [borderline] stateless programs with multiple (order undecidable) entry points that still have to function as a cohesive application...

Well, in the company where I work a developer has a quad core i5 or i7 and 16GB of RAM. Plus two displays on iGPU. No games or GPU computation ;)

2 minutes ago, riklaunim said:

Well, in the company where I work a developer has a quad core i5 or i7 and 16GB of RAM. Plus two displays on iGPU. No games or GPU computation ;)

someone I might be working with has an i5 and 8GB of ram running ubuntu on a 120GB harddrive. :P

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, riklaunim said:

That's more due to having what's recommended rather than needed. You don't want to have to send I/T personnel to add a RAM stick or two to every machine.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

For Web Development and intermediate programming, it doesn't really matter. The differences aren't that significant. 

However if you do a lot of GUI's, Graphics (OpenGL, ...), Games or Back - end development where you host your own Apache Server locally, i would probably take the better i5.

An i3 (or any dual core equivilent) will suffice unless you are coding a game, otherwise you will need more power. Also maybe more processing power if you are building something that takes a while in the compiler stage...

CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.6Ghtz MB: Asus z87-Deluxe RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866mhtz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 PSU: Corsair HX1000 GPU: ASUS GTX 780 DCU2 Case: Define R4

LTC: LeBdcWLcreZREjTRHJsi3vN4oRDVvqRNXf

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

That's more due to having what's recommended rather than needed. You don't want to have to send I/T personnel to add a RAM stick or two to every machine.

We use Docker and Vagrant/Virtualbox before - those things can eat up a lot of ram. 8GB won't cut it with all containers running :)

Programming no matter the language is highly CPU and RAM bound. When making a computer for the task of development, you want to prioritize that as much as possible. There is some misconception in this thread regarding games being more intensive (false, a compilation of a program can use up all available CPU resource with ease), and that web "development" is simply building GUI's and requires only a lightweight machine (this is also false, many web developers need virtual machines and containers to run very intense back end that they themselves need to build and extend and test).

Another thing to note is that programming is also heavily multithreaded, so you want to a good balance of IPC performance and core/thread count (Intel threads, AMD's implementation doesn't really help here due to lack of IPC performance). Entry level 6-core processors from Intel are a great choice, even if you build a used (last generation enthusiast or "HEDT") X79 system, it will be better suited for working in development than a newer Z170 based system.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

-- ignoring all previous posts --

Just get the 6600k and atleast 8gb ram with expandability for 16gb. 6600k is mostly overkill for programming (/what you are doing), but if you have the choice then I'd take it for when you need it in the future.

Your average Software Engineering student.