high quality speakers

Dackzy
2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Oh I'm confused apparently. I thought you were going with this one: http://www.dba.dk/receiver-marantz-sr4003/id-1028823900/

SR4003 only switches HDMI though (does not get audio through it), so he still needs SPDIF for this receiver. He might be better off getting a newer model if he's getting a surround receiver.

2 minutes ago, Stagea said:

SR4003 only switches HDMI though (does not get audio through it), so he still needs SPDIF for this receiver. He might be better off getting a newer model if he's getting a surround receiver.

I thought I saw optical in on that model hmm

14 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Oh I'm confused apparently. I thought you were going with this one: http://www.dba.dk/receiver-marantz-sr4003/id-1028823900/

well I will try to get that one, but I also need a new option, just so I am not stading there with no amp or receiver when I get my speakers, since there might go a month or two before I get the speakers, depending on life xD 

17 minutes ago, Stagea said:

pretty much yep.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

well I will try to get that one, but I also need a new option, just so I am not stading there with no amp or receiver when I get my speakers, since there might go a month or two before I get the speakers, depending on life xD 

pretty much yep.

Denon makes pretty darn good receivers. When I'm back home, I use one of them for my speakers and headphones, and I've never been anything less than happy with it.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

Denon makes pretty darn good receivers. When I'm back home, I use one of them for my speakers and headphones, and I've never been anything less than happy with it.

Well I am not going to use them for my headphones, since I have the O2/ODAC combo. :D 

Yeah I know that Denon make some damn good receivers on the cheap.

I would guess this speaker and receiver setup is going to be fairly mid range for audiophiles xDxD 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

41 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well I am not going to use them for my headphones, since I have the O2/ODAC combo. :D 

Yeah I know that Denon make some damn good receivers on the cheap.

I would guess this speaker and receiver setup is going to be fairly mid range for audiophiles xDxD 

This brings up a good point.

How much do you have to spend on something before you're truly considered an audiophile? 

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

This brings up a good point.

How much do you have to spend on something before you're truly considered an audiophile? 

for me it is more about knowledge.

A lot of people called me a audiophile when my K612 was the highest end headphones I had and even more after I got my HE560.

24 minutes ago, JohnT said:

In my opinion, you don't even have to spend any. Having profound appreciation of the audio reproduction process is enough (even without owning any system).

39 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

for me it is more about knowledge.

A lot of people called me a audiophile when my K612 was the highest end headphones I had and even more after I got my HE560.

16 minutes ago, Stagea said:

In my opinion, you don't even have to spend any. Having profound appreciation of the audio reproduction process is enough (even without owning any system).

If you don't own any thing, then how can you enjoy it? But you guys are bringing up a good point about the knowledge aspect of it.

Just now, JohnT said:

If you don't own any thing, then how can you enjoy it?

good point, I would say that it is a combination, you have something you enjoy (may it be 100$ or 50,000$) and you have a lot of knowledge about audio, then you are a audiophile, but then you google audiophile and you just see people with crazy expensive audio setups.

I would rather listen to and call a guy with 200$ headphones and nothing else, and a lot of knowledge about audio an audiophile, than a guy with 3000$ headphones and 8000$ speakers with 2000$ DAC and amp, but has close to zero knowledge about audio.

I think for some people it is all about the gear.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:42 AM, Dackzy said:

@KaminKevCrew @spwath

I am guessing you two know the most about speakers, so I have a question. I am most likely going for the Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

How do I hook them up to a normal stereo amp?

Reveal hidden contents

mabronze22.jpg

Also the speakers are 8 Ohm 100w, do you guys know a amp/receiver that would work well with them?

Because this thread going on way to long

http://www.soundstorexl.com/produkter/847-effektforstaerkere/107571-american-audio-vlp300-forstaerker-2x100w-8-ohm/
This amp is from a company you said you can buy from, its also a similar price to all the receivers which have been linked
That amp will work perfectly for the 8 ohm 100 watt speakers you said you liked.
To set it up plug the amp into a power socket
Take some speaker wire (i dont know if the speaker comes with it, but its cheap so may have to buy some)
Then take the red screw thing on the back of the amp rap the red wire around that then to the speaker. Same for the Black. And now again for the other Speaker.
Now take the output from your device and ram it in to the amp via a XLR cable or into the jack plugs using a jack cable.
Hey Ho all done.
Image result for American Audio VLP300
Image result for Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

3 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

SNIP

Well the setup part was more about if I needed to bridge the two black ports together and the two red ports together. 

it has two fans on the back.. I am not sure that I want such a thing, since no digital in and it would not fit in at all.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Well the setup part was more about if I needed to bridge the two black ports together and the two red ports together. 

it has two fans on the back.. I am not sure that I want such a thing, since no digital in and it would not fit in at all.

Why you need digital in. The XLR and Jack inputs work fine.
You dont need to bridge it since that amp is powerful enough. At this wattage just spend the tiny bit extra for a amp which does the correct Wattage then wasting time with bridging.
http://www.soundstorexl.com/produkter/847-effektforstaerkere/115037-ld-systems-xs-400-forstaerker-2x100w-8-ohm/
This amps a little more and you get RCA plugs if the XLR and jack are a problem.
But most professorial grade amps dont do home spec stuff like digital inputs which are not RJ45 and I linked you a professional amp.

1 minute ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

SNIP

Well it would be neat to have it in one package, I will be upgrading my desktop and I connot promise that I would have good onboard again and my O2/ODAC only has 3.5mm out and I use that for my headphones.

2500DKK is about as much I am willing to spend on a amp and DAC for the speakers.

16 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well it would be neat to have it in one package, I will be upgrading my desktop and I connot promise that I would have good onboard again and my O2/ODAC only has 3.5mm out and I use that for my headphones.

2500DKK is about as much I am willing to spend on a amp and DAC for the speakers.

Right I went through every website you linked you can buy from 
https://www.thomann.de/dk/the_tamp_e400.htm
http://www.soundstorexl.com/produkter/847-effektforstaerkere/114674-ld-systems-dj-300-forstaerker-2x100w-8-ohm/

Those are the cheapest amplifier which can do the job from the websites which actually sold amplifiers.

The tomann one is the cheapest but is 125watts so a little too powerful so if you got that one dont turn it up to max (keep it around 75% dont risk it) 
The sound store one is similar price to the previous two but it is the cheapest on that website, but only by a small amount.

1. I recommend spending the extra bit of money when you upgrade your computer to get a mother board with decent audio. Its not hard, its normally only a little extra to a basic board.

2. Unless you want to risk getting Chinese shit you aint getting a cheaper professorial amplifier since i converted that into a currency I understood and was actually surprised that a pretty good price for a amp.

3. If you want to use some magical input get a mixer or a interface then use the XLR outputs of that into the amp.

Have you looked at Edifier S1000DB?

They are awesome for $350.

4 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

SNIP

1. I am most likely buying a workstation motherboard, since I have bad luck when it comes to my own desktop PCs (first 4770k was dead, two 780ti's broke, AX860i broke after 1 ½ years and lastly a dead sata cable)

2. Well do I really need a pro amp?

3. no mixer, but I guess that I maybe need to buy a extra DAC at some point.

This amp is going to live on my desk or under my desk, so I can adjust the volume fairly easily 

I might go for Thomann's own amp, since Thomann own brand is usually pretty high quality for the price, but the VLP 300 is tempting.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

1. I am most likely buying a workstation motherboard, since I have bad luck when it comes to my own desktop PCs (first 4770k was dead, two 780ti's broke, AX860i broke after 1 ½ years and lastly a dead sata cable)

2. Well do I really need a pro amp?

3. no mixer, but I guess that I maybe need to buy a extra DAC at some point.

This amp is going to live on my desk or under my desk, so I can adjust the volume fairly easily 

I might go for Thomann's own amp, since Thomann own brand is usually pretty high quality for the price, but the VLP 300 is tempting.

Does your workstation motherboard even have audio. You may have to buy a sound card or a DAC.

I find you got three options with audio. The cheap home audio shit, The expensive hardcore audiophile shit. Or the professional option which ends up being either reasonably priced for quality or fuck off expensive. With amps i find the cheap home stuff there more about selling extra features like receivers do. And audiophile stuff is like thousands of pounds for some magic dust. While for low wattage professional its normal good price.

Also i dont recommend using the amps gain knob like a level fader.

Does your workstation motherboard even have audio. You may have to buy a sound card or a DAC.

yeah Asus workstation motherboards have, right now I have a ROG Formula VI motherboard, it has great onboard, but Asus workstation onboard is kinda meh.

3 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

I find you got three options with audio. The cheap home audio shit, The expensive hardcore audiophile shit. Or the professional option which ends up being either reasonably priced for quality or fuck off expensive. With amps i find the cheap home stuff there more about selling extra features like receivers do. And audiophile stuff is like thousands of pounds for some magic dust. While for low wattage professional its normal good price.

that is very true.

4 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Also i dont recommend using the amps gain knob like a level fader.

so you recommend that I set the amp to lets say 50% and then use windows volume slider?

Just now, Dackzy said:

so you recommend that I set the amp to lets say 50% and then use windows volume slider?

Yeah, set the amp up so you get the max level you want when windows is at 100%.
IF you get the 100W at 8 ohms one you can run it at 100% on the amp but personal I wouldnt run it that high.

Just now, Ahoy Hoy said:

IF you get the 100W at 8 ohms one you can run it at 100% on the amp but personal I wouldnt run it that high.

well I am sensitive to sound, so 50% is most likely the max I would ever use.

Out of the three amps you linked which one would you pick?

This is not how it works. The system gain structure does not solely dictate the power output, and speaker power handling ratings do not dictate the program level that they're supposed to run at.

8 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

How is he supposed to measure 100w? Dude where are you getting this information from 

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

If you don't own any thing, then how can you enjoy it? But you guys are bringing up a good point about the knowledge aspect of it.

Maybe integrated into a phone/tablet/notebook/TV/clock/car/etc.? The person essentially "spent" to acquire the audio component of that device, but the device was acquired primarily for another purpose (the device may even be a gift/donation, making it next to free).

1 hour ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

You dont need to bridge it since that amp is powerful enough. At this wattage just spend the tiny bit extra for a amp which does the correct Wattage then wasting time with bridging.

He was referring to terminal bridging of the LF and HF portions of the speaker's passive network (running the high level inputs in parallel), and not bridging an amplifier.