Fallout 4: Do I need to have played last games?

Alir

I haven't played any Fallout games. Is it a bad idea to start with the fourth game?

1 minute ago, Alir said:

I haven't played any Fallout games. Is it a bad idea to start with the fourth game?

no, its a lot different than other fallouts. if youve played games like mass effect youll know what to do

Just now, Mkander99 said:

no, its a lot different than other fallouts. if youve played games like mass effect youll know what to do

I haven't tho.

I have played star wars kotor

Just now, Mkander99 said:

Does the story continue?

The stories are related by timeline but not by story. You don't need to play the first to know 3 fully.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Alir said:

Does the story continue?

Fallout 1+2 are the only ones that on a technicality continue the story. 3, New vegas, 4, and BOS, all were independant stories.  Myself, I would say it is Much better if you have not played the older ones first, as they are much better games imo (and real RPGs, vs role play as shooter in 4). 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

5 hours ago, stconquest said:

You can play Fallout:  New Vegas before it gets too old.  That is worth playing.

What do you classify as old? The newest game I've played is Assassins Creed 3. Or maybe AC Liberation

1 hour ago, Alir said:

What do you classify as old? The newest game I've played is Assassins Creed 3. Or maybe AC Liberation

Old as in looks too dated to be worth playing.  With mods and such, I had a great experience with New Vegas.  Got some inventory tweaks, grabbed some nice armor (changed the values to mimic in game statistics), and a few other minor mods... nothing that changes the game too much.

I even build my own base in the editor:  GECK  That took a few days to do.

Update: I had the option of buying Fallout 4 for £10 as part of an Xbox One Elite deal. Decided against it. Not a big fan of consoles due to them not being 21:9.

21:9 is the future. :P point being I might consider getting it on PC now. Thanks guys!

fallout 3 and fallout NV >> fallout 4

But they're also different.

Shipping sucks

I seem to remember them mentioning The Institute in Fallout 3, but other than that Fallout 4 is pretty independent of the earlier games other than them being in the same gaming universe so that everything is a result of the nuclear war with China in 2077.

Fallout 4 is an excellent game, though the weakest of the Fallout canon. The DLC isn't very good but I loved the main storyline. If I was to rank the games in order of how much I liked them I'd put them in the order:

1. Fallout 2

2. Fallout New Vegas

3. Fallout 1

4. Fallout 3

5. Fallout 4

Fallout 1 + 2 really have to be played one after the other; 2 is a direct sequel to 1. In Fallout 3 there is one questline which builds directly off Fallout 1+2.

Fallout 1 + 2 are oldschool turn based RPGs. They play a lot like Super Nintendo era RPGs. Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 are like Skyrim with guns and in a wasteland instead of the beautiful areas you usually see in the Elder Scrolls games like Skyrim and Oblivion.

Fallout 4, like most games are designed to be picked up by people who have never played the franchise before. Games don't tend to age well, especially on PC where compatibility with changing drivers and OS can make running an old game impossible, and they also tend to be long. This means devs need to make franchises easily accessible to new players as they can't expect the customer to catch up on the story so far, in the way film and television produces can.

As noted New Vegas is worth a look before you do, and 3 too if you can get it to run (it's not that happy running on W10 last time I checked), but not necessary. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Fallout 4, like most games are designed to be picked up by people who have never played the franchise before. Games don't tend to age well, especially on PC where compatibility with changing drivers and OS can make running an old game impossible, and they also tend to be long. This means devs need to make franchises easily accessible to new players as they can't expect the customer to catch up on the story so far, in the way film and television produces can.

As noted New Vegas is worth a look before you do, and 3 too if you can get it to run (it's not that happy running on W10 last time I checked), but not necessary. 

I gotta disagree, I think the Fallout series has aged really well. The fact that it happens in a wasteland where everything is supposed to be really ugly and drab makes the XBox 360 level graphics in FO3 and FONV a lot more forgiving. And then the isometric view RPGs always age well IMO since there really wasn't a whole lot to improve on for 2D graphics since the Super Nintendo era. That sucks to hear New Vegas is a pain on Windows 10. I heard similar for Fallout 3.

• 2 weeks later...

this is coming from someone who has not played anything from Bethesda before fallout 4. not skyrim, not another fallout, nothing. so I hope this hits home.

I think fallout 4 as a standalone game was a pretty good experience. the story could have used a bit more...story I guess. but this isn't a review of the game so ill move on.

it took me a second to figure out exactly HOW to play fallout, but it has been an overall very good experience and I recommend it to you. you very much feel as your decisions have an impact, the gameplay is challenging but not impossible, and every play style has its place. (I went for a long range stealth thing that really turned on when I found an explosive sniper) its not the best game ive played, for sure. but it was enjoyable and I found myself taken aback, several times, at the landscape and the idea of the game. rugged, rusty, broken down scraps of technology combined with utopian superintelligence narrated by the sounds of the 50's. If you play it youll enjoy it.

Everyone detailed answer doesn't exactly give the answer he needs. Sure, no is the correct answer but realistically you don't need to play the previous games because the game starts you off in a different place with a different main character. You don't continue where you left off with Fallout 3 (I did not play Fallout 1 and 2, I tried 1 but didn't like the gameplay).

Sure, you will be missing the lore which is the same with every game you haven't played previous installments of but if this is your first game and you want the lore there are a lot of great videos on Youtube bringing you up to date from Fallout 1 to Fallout New Vegas and I enjoyed them since I did not play Fallout 1 and 2.