I5 6500 idleing at ~90C (stock cooler)

TurnipMaster

im kind of a noob at pc's, anyone have any advice as to why this is happening and how i can fix it? edited, was running around 80C at idle now its running at around 90C. this is according to NZXT CAM which might be the problem

If its a laptop processor it may be that the pc is not properly ventilated, or that dust has blocked the cooler, if you have compressed air lying around you can blow it out.

2 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

If its a laptop processor it may be that the pc is not properly ventilated, or that dust has blocked the cooler, if you have compressed air lying around you can blow it out.

im retarded, its just a 6500. will fix

1) Find another monitoring program to confirm that you are reading the correct temps.

2)check thermal paste

3)Upgrade cooler (212 evo should be good)

4) RMA (#3 if you don't want to buy an after market cooler)

Just now, EminentSun said:

1) Find another monitoring program to confirm that you are reading the correct temps.

2)check thermal paste

3)Upgrade cooler (212 evo should be good)

4) RMA (#3 if you don't want to buy an after market cooler)

i have a 212 evo on my shelf but im waiting for some stuff to clean the thermal paste

how are you reading the temps?

80deg shouldn't be happening unless the cooler is mounter improperly

13 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

I5 6500 is not a laptop cpu, but you should open your computer and see if any dust blocking airflow/the cooler. If you have some money you could buy new cooler if want lower temps/noise such as hyper 212. 

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I5 6500 is not a laptop cpu, but you should open your computer and see if any dust blocking airflow/the cooler. If you have some money you could buy new cooler if want lower temps/noise such as hyper 212. 

he edited his post from   6500u to 6500 so not his fault to say that comment tbh

Just now, abhishekshere said:

he edited his post from   6500u to 6500 so not his fault to say that comment tbh

Oh ok ... I am not saying it his fault. There no one of my knowing it been edited unless he has edited since options enabled. 

Magical Pineapples

38 minutes ago, TurnipMaster said:

now its running around 90C

What steps have you taken so far to try to remedy the issue?  Also, are you still using NZXT CAM or have you tried other monitoring programs?

18 minutes ago, TheStigsChineseCousin said:

What steps have you taken so far to try to remedy the issue?  Also, are you still using NZXT CAM or have you tried other monitoring programs?

i tried others and they all say the same. I have just tried uninstalling and redownloading cam.

19 minutes ago, TheStigsChineseCousin said:

Also games like over watch and csgo are barely keeping up with 60 FPS. i have a 1060, ample power and 16GB of ram. no idea what is happening, ive never had the problem before.

17 hours ago, TurnipMaster said:

Also games like over watch and csgo are barely keeping up with 60 FPS. i have a 1060, ample power and 16GB of ram. no idea what is happening, ive never had the problem before.

Ok, so we've verified the monitoring software isn't faulty, so that's good.  A few questions to get us moving forward: how long has this CPU been running overall, and how long have you been seeing elevated temps?  Have you checked for dust buildup in the cooler or case?  Did the temps just suddenly start spiking, or was it a gradual increase?  Lastly, are you currently using the stock cooler on that CPU, or did you install that 212 Evo? 

My next steps based on what you've said so far would be checking for and cleaning dust out, then re-installing the CPU cooler if dust wasn't the issue.  I saw you were waiting for thermal paste cleaner, so I'm guessing you haven't had the chance to pop the cooler off yet.

Are the plastic pins fully pushed through the board with the knobs rotated clockwise?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.