Question regarding my internet speed, router and adapter

ricko99

Hi, I just got a new 30Mbps connection from my ISP. I currently use TP-LINK WN821N 300Mbps wireless adapter with TP-LINK TL-WR841HP 300Mbps Wireless N Router . If I understand correctly, using these two devices should give me my full 30Mbps download speed from my ISP right? Because I've been testing out my download speed using Speedtest and the maximum download speed I got hovered around 22Mbps only. Anyone mind to share their knowledge with me regarding of what's wrong with my setup?

™You Are What You Eat™

™Mini Destroyer™

Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3 | GIGABYTE Z97X UD3H BK | GALAX GTX 970 EXOC BE 1492/3995MHz Kraken G10 w/ Antec H20 920 | Avexir Core Series 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Black White LED | Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | Intel 520 Series SSD 180GB | Phanteks TC14PE Dual Tower Cooler | Thermaltake Smart SE 730w | DELL S2240L | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Brown Switch | NZXT H440

2 minutes ago, ricko99 said:

Hi, I just got a new 30Mbps connection from my ISP. I currently use TP-LINK WN821N 300Mbps wireless adapter with TP-LINK TL-WR841HP 300Mbps Wireless N Router . If I understand correctly, using these two devices should give me my full 30Mbps download speed from my ISP right? Because I've been testing out my download speed using Speedtest and the maximum download speed I got hovered around 22Mbps only. Anyone mind to share their knowledge with me regarding of what's wrong with my setup?

wifi has some losses, 1/3th loss does seem quite steep. test wired and compare results, that is the loss you have over wifi. and the real connection speed.

300Mbps is the theoretical speeds that those adapters will hit. You'll never hit those speeds in reality.

There are a lot of factors that influence wireless connections.(and reduce speeds)

-Distance

-Walls

-Transmitting Power

-Protocol

edit: Interference

Also, something else could be using the remaining bandwidth.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Wifi is always slower than wired.

Doesn't matter what speed you have, it will always get decreased some amount.

If you want the full speed you need to use an ethernet cable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Before getting my 30Mbps connection, I had a 5Mbps connection with the same setup and most of the time I always get between 4.5 - 5Mbps download speed at speedtest using wireless connection. I'll try to use wired and let you guys know. Thanks!

™You Are What You Eat™

™Mini Destroyer™

Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3 | GIGABYTE Z97X UD3H BK | GALAX GTX 970 EXOC BE 1492/3995MHz Kraken G10 w/ Antec H20 920 | Avexir Core Series 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Black White LED | Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | Intel 520 Series SSD 180GB | Phanteks TC14PE Dual Tower Cooler | Thermaltake Smart SE 730w | DELL S2240L | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Brown Switch | NZXT H440

6 minutes ago, ricko99 said:

Before getting my 30Mbps connection, I had a 5Mbps connection with the same setup and most of the time I always get between 4.5 - 5Mbps download speed at speedtest using wireless connection. I'll try to use wired and let you guys know. Thanks!

That makes sense. Before, you didn't have enough bandwidth to fully saturate your wireless connection. And now you do.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.