AMD R9 Fury vs. NVIDIA GTX 1060

Skybound

I'm deciding on picking up a new graphics card for my personal build and am currently undecided on which to go with Specifically I'm looking at the Radeon R9 Fury from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186&cm_re=r9_fury-_-14-202-186-_-Product, goes for about $309 or $290 on Amazon. As for the GTX 1060, Im looking at this one by ASUS for about the same price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126122&cm_re=gtx_1060-_-14-126-122-_-Product. I've heard that in terms of performance the R9 Fury easily beats the 1060 but how does it fair against the newer RX 480? Also, my monitor does support freesync so would it be worth going with the R9 Fury for the benefit of freesync? 

My monitor: Samsung 591 series-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W04YM5013&cm_re=curved_monitor-_-24-022-405-_-Product

Fury is faster than both 480 and 1060

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

Fury is faster than both 480 and 1060

So do you think the card at $290 is a good deal?

Considering the GTX 1060 beats out the RX 480 for the most part, the Fury is considerably stronger than the RX 480.

So with that said, I'd grab the Fury to go with that Freesync monitor.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, CookieMaster said:

Fury is also water cooled if I remember correctly. I think the R9 390x is better though. 

You do not remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Skybound said:

Yes it's a great deal

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, Skybound said:

Wow, that's an insane deal. grab that baby up right now! the fury X competes with the titan X Maxwell, and is almost as fast as a 1070

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, CookieMaster said:

Fury is also water cooled if I remember correctly. I think the R9 390x is better though. 

There are watercooled Furys, but that's the Fury X that's mainly watercooled.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

Yes it's a great deal

My mistake then, I'm thinking  about some other card, probably should of clicked the link. 

7 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Yes it's a great deal

7 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Wow, that's an insane deal. grab that baby up right now! the fury X competes with the titan X Maxwell, and is almost as fast as a 1070

Thanks guys, hopefully the card comes in this week. Cant wait to start gaming with it. Especially considering that my old card is a GTX 750 Ti. Been a long run with this baby but its time to let it go. :(

30 minutes ago, Skybound said:

I'm deciding on picking up a new graphics card for my personal build and am currently undecided on which to go with Specifically I'm looking at the Radeon R9 Fury from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186&cm_re=r9_fury-_-14-202-186-_-Product, goes for about $309 or $290 on Amazon. As for the GTX 1060, Im looking at this one by ASUS for about the same price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126122&cm_re=gtx_1060-_-14-126-122-_-Product. I've heard that in terms of performance the R9 Fury easily beats the 1060 but how does it fair against the newer RX 480? Also, my monitor does support freesync so would it be worth going with the R9 Fury for the benefit of freesync? 

My monitor: Samsung 591 series-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W04YM5013&cm_re=curved_monitor-_-24-022-405-_-Product

Personally, I'd probably get the RX480 if I had to have a card right now.  The Fury is (in every way) a faster card than both the GTX1060 and the RX480 though, I still wouldn't invest that much into that card.

The RX480 can be had for $250 and will do your monitor justice just fine.

But if you can wait 2-3 months I expect Vega to be out, and at the $350 price point you might be able to get a "RX490" something or another.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

28 minutes ago, CookieMaster said:

you are thinking of the Fury X

this is an amazing deal tho this is crazy value

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Great deal for that Fury Nitro especially since you already have a Freesync monitor though 1080p is not really an ideal resolution for the card, don't know if you can activate Freesync alongside VSR.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |