Arma 3 and GTX 780

JoshuaTjandra

I was wondering what FPS you guys are getting on arma 3, with my GTX 780 I get around 30-40, but sometimes it drops way down to 15-20 during explosions.

I tried looking it up, and people seem to be getting different things, some are smooth sailing 60, others 20 (Ultra Preset)

I played in alpha and it was so un-optimized (like alpha should be) and it wasn't good. Got 15-30fps on my 680m.

I'd hopefully assume 50+ on ultra at 1080p with a 680m.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I get over over 30 with 2 GTX 560's with everything maxed except for anti aliasing and view distance.

The difference between the highest and lowest view distance for me is like 35fps.

You need to TWEAK the settings in Arma.

The RV engine is not like other engines where you just put it on default LOW/HIGH/ULTRA....settings and expect a certain level of FPS.

There is an FPS counter in the video settings, play around with things and find a balance between visuals and performance.

If you crank up the view and object distance expect to take a hit.

Some settings like Shadows provide higher FPS on HIGH then they do on LOW.....  LOW = CPU rendering / HIGH/ULTRA = GPU rendering.

FPS is also dependent on the Server in MP.    Shitty server = Shitty FPS regardless of what you have in your system.

Poorly coded missions like Wasteland lead to lower FPS also.

144 fps (capped) with 4 over clocked titans. I have yet to test it out out with 4k.

What's the rest of your build...to me 4 titans is stupid...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Medium-High settings (click medium and then tweak higher), 40-70FPS. Not bad, not good, judgement reserved. F**king beautiful game though.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

I get around 25-30 (easily playable) with my overclocked 680 (1266mhz core clock).

A 780 will beast it.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Arma is a game which puts full control of every setting at your disposal in order to tweak and find the balance that you find enjoyable.

You simply cannot use presets like you would with other games. From manually testing every in-game setting to editing config files for precise and "hidden" settings. It really is a massive process but the ends justify the means when you get the perfect balance of high fidelity graphics and smooth FPS. It's also not recommended to settings that people suggest, just because they work for some, they wont work for all.

One of the biggest boosts to performance will be having the game on an SSD, and/or using Ramdisk for select files with high I/O depending on the mission you are playing. Fast ram can also see a boost in performance.

Arma is very heavy on CPU use for simulations, and read speeds from where the game is stored.

As for the troll post with 4 titans, you will not see more fps no matter how many titans you run. The FPS rate relies on making calculations before the engine can call another frame, the heavy simulations that are constantly run is what binds fps to CPU. A balance of gpu and cpu horsepower is required.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

FPS is also dependent on the Server in MP.    Shitty server = Shitty FPS 

This. The mission/server i'm playing on is pretty much the only thing that affects my fps. 

What's the rest of your build...to me 4 titans is stupid...

He doesn't have 4 titans...... Just your garden variety Youtube/Forum kid bragging about imaginary wealth.

This. The mission/server i'm playing on is pretty much the only thing that affects my fps. 

It's also the fact that most Wasteland servers are running a ported version from Arma 2

on budget server hosts that are very very likely running several games on a single box.

Arma hosting is expensive so people have a tendency to go with the cheapest option.

`

Arma is a game which puts full control of every setting at your disposal in order to tweak and find the balance that you find enjoyable.

You simply cannot use presets like you would with other games. From manually testing every in-game setting to editing config files for precise and "hidden" settings. It really is a massive process but the ends justify the means when you get the perfect balance of high fidelity graphics and smooth FPS. It's also not recommended to settings that people suggest, just because they work for some, they wont work for all.

One of the biggest boosts to performance will be having the game on an SSD, and/or using Ramdisk for select files with high I/O depending on the mission you are playing. Fast ram can also see a boost in performance.

Arma is very heavy on CPU use for simulations, and read speeds from where the game is stored.

As for the troll post with 4 titans, you will not see more fps no matter how many titans you run. The FPS rate relies on making calculations before the engine can call another frame, the heavy simulations that are constantly run is what binds fps to CPU. A balance of gpu and cpu horsepower is required.

I have arma on my WD Black, I will try moving it to my 840pro to see if I get better performance

I have arma on my WD Black, I will try moving it to my 840pro to see if I get better performance

An SSD won't increase FPS

It will eliminate texture popping, LOD switching issues, micro stutter and make z-fighting less annoying.

exactly as @jbr said, you won't notice a difference with using an SSD if you're only watching the FPS. You will notice it while playing, gameplay will become smoother, responsive, and look nicer due to less LOD switching occurring in your face every time you turn.

Another thing you can try is, setting up launch parameters. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters While those are the ones for arma 2, they will for the most part work for arma 3 as well. Reportedly -nologs has reduced lag spikes by not reporting errors as they occur. Downside to that is if you encounter a game crash there is no error log to review.

Don't forget to ignore the FPS every once in awhile. Watching it the entire time will have the placebo effect of a poor gaming experience ;) 

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Ultra 40-60 fps. View distance 3000 everything else maxed. In MP... Depends on server a lot.

SSD also eliminates fps spikes, therefore it does improve FPS.

Also this game is CPU heavy, GPU doesn't matter much in this game.

WIP: Ryzen 5 3600@4,2ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming | ASRock B450M Steel Legend

Corsair Crystal 280X | Cooler Master MWE 550W | Gigabyte CV27F 1080p 165hz

I was wondering what FPS you guys are getting on arma 3, with my GTX 780 I get around 30-40, but sometimes it drops way down to 15-20 during explosions.

I tried looking it up, and people seem to be getting different things, some are smooth sailing 60, others 20 (Ultra Preset)

That is about right. It doesn't matter what GPU you have on this game as it's incredibly CPU intensive. The game is the biggest most detailed map and simulates lots of stuff all at once. All the AI on the map is doing stuff all the time even if you are on the other side of the map. We will need to wait a few years before we can run this game at 60fps. Good news though the GPU performance of the game is really good so the game looks great on most GPU's with very little frame rate drop. I have a 680 and I get the same frame rate as you if not more as GPU memory is also very important. Arma 3 for me can consume about 3.4 GB which is think is more then the 780. Hopefully Maxwell will come with 4GB standard. There are some tweaks in the Nvidia control panel you can do which will change performance.

Maximum pre-rendered frames. Change to 1 (this will increase fps by about 10, for me)

Power management (prefer maximum performance). For me with this turned off my GPU would go into idle

Vertical sync Adaptive.

Don't change any of the other settings, they can cause problems to the game, decrease performance or do nothing at all. I tried many configurations of the game. In multiplayer try and find a good server that has a very powerful setup as in multiplayer the server does all the calculations for the players in the game. Also I would enter into the Dev Build as you can get new stuff faster and better performance.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Oh and people that say they are getting constant 60 fps are lying through their ass. No setup exists that can run the game at 60 fps all the time unless you had a duel CPU Ivy-bridge E and 4 Titans setup but even then I don't think it's possible. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I've got between 40-60fps on my haswell rig, it runs so well on haswell.

I don't think they are lying, the probably have a 4770K, as i run a 4670K.

WIP: Ryzen 5 3600@4,2ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming | ASRock B450M Steel Legend

It will help stabilize your minimum FPS., it will not under any circumstances increase FPS in a game.

It will help stabilize your minimum FPS., it will not under any circumstances increase FPS in a game.

I didn't say anything about increased FPS.