What power supply to get?

MrlUnleashed
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
5 hours ago, mrdeadguy34 said:

the cx series is not the highest quality but theryre okeyish

The new CX series is quite good quality, nothing to worry about bar the sleeve bearing fan which is probably the reason it can stay at such a competitive price point.

1 hour ago, MrlUnleashed said:

What about the cs series? As ive seen they are kinda the same only the cs has gold instead of bronze.

CXM is better value, the CX550M you linked before will work fine.

So I went to the coolermaster power supply calculator and got load wattage of 395W and a min. recomended PSU wattage of 445W on my system. Below that was a 600W recomended power supply. So I'd like to know should I get a 600W power supply or would a 500/550W be just fine. I've serched for some informations saying too high just pulls the power for nothing and that it should be at least 100W above the usage. Also any PSU recommendation would be appreciated.

Those power supply calculators often overestimate alot so I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a good quality 500-550W unit (not some cheap one) and you should be fine.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

PSU wattage calculators often over estimate the requirement. By the sounds of things, 500/550W should be fine. 

An EVGA GS/G2 550W would be a good choice. 

if your using skylake and a single pascal gpu you should be good for a 450w or if you want to be safe like a 550w as for brands coolermaster evga corsair and silverstone

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 880K

GPU - MSI AMD Radeon R9 380, 2GB

I've heard the corsair PSUs are not so good, is that true? Also what about Zalman, XFX or Fractal PSUs?

10 minutes ago, MrlUnleashed said:

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 880K

I've heard the corsair PSUs are not so good, is that true? Also what about Zalman, XFX or Fractal PSUs?

Not true, Corsair has excellent power supplies as well (the AX1500i is proof of that). Every brand is either a hit or miss (with the exception of a few such as Seasonic - those guys consistently make good power supply units) so you shouldn't shop by brand, rather by unit.

Get something from this list that's at least tier 3: 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

8 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not true, Corsair has excellent power supplies as well (the AX1500i is proof of that). Every brand is either a hit or miss (with the exception of a few such as Seasonic - those guys consistently make good power supply units) so you shouldn't shop by brand, rather by unit.

Get something from this list that's at least tier 3: 

Tnx :) i actually found this one http://www.corsair.com/en/cx-series-cx550m-550-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-atx-psu-na for a good price. I'll take some more look at some of those, but would this one be ok?

2 minutes ago, MrlUnleashed said:

Tnx :) i actually found this one http://www.corsair.com/en/cx-series-cx550m-550-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-atx-psu-na for a good price. I'll take some more look at some of those, but would this one be ok?

That'll do nicely.

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Those power supply calculators often overestimate *allot

27 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

PSU wattage calculators often over estimate the requirement.

6.PNG

25 minutes ago, MrlUnleashed said:

I've heard the corsair PSUs are not so good, is that true?

Depends on the PSU

14 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not true, Corsair has excellent power supplies as well (the AX1500i is proof of that)

I love my kidney

Just now, keNNySOC said:

I love my kidney

An extreme example but it is the 'best' power supply on the market as of yet, I reckon.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

An extreme example but it is the 'best' power supply on the market as of yet, I reckon.

That's actually not true

We have Acer PSU's and they are in a really tight competition....

3 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

That's actually not true

We have Acer PSU's and they are in a really tight competition....

Can't forget about the cheap Chinese power supplies. Comes with free fireworks.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Yeah ! + there in the PSU ! a great prank to pull on a friend...!

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Some come with smoke bombs too.

Sry got that out 2 times.

Edited by MrlUnleashed

57 minutes ago, MrlUnleashed said:

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 880K

3 hours ago, mrdeadguy34 said:

What about the cs series? As ive seen they are kinda the same only the cs has gold instead of bronze.

5 hours ago, mrdeadguy34 said:

The new CX series is quite good quality, nothing to worry about bar the sleeve bearing fan which is probably the reason it can stay at such a competitive price point.

1 hour ago, MrlUnleashed said:

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

15 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What is the new cx series? cant see any listings on amazon past 2012 for a cx power supply.

10 hours ago, mrdeadguy34 said:

What is the new cx series? cant see any listings on amazon past 2012 for a cx power supply.

The grey-logo CX series. It's good.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||