Intel Quicksync or Nvidia NVEnc for me in Twitch?

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

So for the sake of my stream speed/quality and my framerate, nvenc would be better? Since I am playing CPU intensive games?

it depends, all 3 have very specific weaknesses:

- quicksync dunks out completely when there's lots of moving objects, if most of the screen is stationary or slow moving it's pretty amazing, but in the tougher scenarios its a joke.

- nvenc is closer to the x264 cpu brute force way, but has some form of intelligent algorithm on where to focus its power, sadly the performance is still quite often lacking, and the algorithm isnt as good as quick sync

- x264 is simply more cpu power = better stream. although i'd dare to argue that in the majority of cases it's far superior of both other options when you have an i7 at your disposal.

For best performance, should I be using Intel QuickSync, or Nvidia NVEnc while I stream?

I have: 

i7-4770 (Non K)

8GB DDR3 (If it matters)

And a GTX 970.

Does either affect the performance of my CPU or GPU while I am encoding? (I understand that NVEnc uses an ASIC within the card, and Quicksync uses the iGPU)

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, zMeul said:

you get a small penalty even if you use the video engine with NVENC

So a small performance hit if I use NVEnc? Similar for Quicksync?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

So a small performance hit if I use NVEnc? Similar for Quicksync?

for QS I haven't tested, but since it's a separate entity on the CPU, it'd say no

Just now, zMeul said:

for QS I haven't tested, but since it's a separate entity on the CPU, it'd say no

So is NVEnc...

Nvidia NVENC is the name given to Nvidia's ASIC IP block that performs video encoding. It was introduced with the Kepler-based GeForce 600 series in March 2012, as a product feature that offloads H264 video encoding from the host CPU.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

So is NVEnc...

the video engine in a nVidia GPU shares a whole lot of resources to function - from bandwith to VRAM

the same holds true for a Intel iGPU but on a different smaller level - the iGPU is a separate entity just like a video card

The performance hit between the two should be similar, perhaps more so for Quicksync if the CPU is being fully utilized. Use whichever gives you the best quality at your target bandwidth.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, zMeul said:

the video engine in a nVidia GPU shares a whole lot of resources to function - from bandwith to VRAM

the same holds true for a Intel iGPU but on a different smaller level - the iGPU is a separate entity just like a video card

So Quicksync would use more system memory?

So NVEnc might be better since I only have 8GB of RAM?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The performance hit between the two should be similar, perhaps more so for Quicksync if the CPU is being fully utilized. Use whichever gives you the best quality at your target bandwidth.

QS doesn't use the CPU, uses the iGPU - not the same thing

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As I'm streaming at a ridiculous bandwidth, how do I tell which is higher quality?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

In my experience, NVENC is the better performer in terms of performance but quality wise at low bitrates, Quicksync is better. I find that Quicksync tends to borrow your dedicated GPU's power for some odd reason, and its that that makes it perform slightly worse than NVENC

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

So Quicksync would use more system memory?

So NVEnc might be better since I only have 8GB of RAM?

I'm gonna stop what I'm doing and specifically do a test for you

will be back in maybe 15-20min

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

While true, the potential concern is the additional heat from running the iGP, particularly if you're running an overclocked system. While a minor concern, if your cpu cooling is fairly borderline, then one you should factor.

My eyes see the past…

Just now, zMeul said:

But both methods use something that isn't the main processing unit, an ASIC for NVEnc, and the iGPU for Quicksync.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

QuickSync use the CPU but a very minimal amount, if your games pin it at 100% you will notice stuttering in the video. You should not have that problem. QuickSync also doesn't hog memory in the slightest.

In your case, you have a 970, use NVENC, the quality is better for streaming.

1 minute ago, GangstaRas said:

In my experience, NVENC is the better performer in terms of performance but quality wise at low bitrates, Quicksync is better. I find that Quicksync tends to borrow your dedicated GPU's power for some odd reason, and its that that makes it perform slightly worse than NVENC

So since I stream at a high bitrate (Advantages of being the only gamer in the house on 50-100Mb/s broadband, with great upload speeds), NVENC would likely be the best?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

While true, the potential concern is the additional heat from running the iGP, particularly if you're running an overclocked system. While a minor concern, if your cpu cooling is fairly borderline, then one you should factor.

It's a non K CPU, that currently runs at a max of about 65 degrees C max while using Quicksync and playing any game.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

So since I stream at a high bitrate (Advantages of being the only gamer in the house on 50-100Mb/s broadband, with great upload speeds), NVENC would likely be the best?

Yep, NVENC would be your best option then as long as the bitrate is higher than around 15 Mbps, you're golden

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

As I'm streaming at a ridiculous bandwidth, how do I tell which is higher quality?

If the video is indistinguishable due to sheer bandwidth, you'd probably have to look at frames individually to pick out differences.

While reducing bandwidth until degradation becomes unacceptable is an option, I doubt it is one you'd consider. Given these factors, you don't seem to have anything to lose picking between the two.

I personally have had better quality using Quicksync on my 4590 than NVENC on my GTX 960, however, my bandwidth was much lower. This was with PCSX2, performance impact was negligible.

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, GangstaRas said:

Yep, NVENC would be your best option then as long as the bitrate is higher than around 15 Mbps, you're golden

15Mbps for twitch?

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

Check the encoding settings. 15Mbps is about 5x what you need, at least 3x

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

15Mbps for twitch?

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

Check the encoding settings. 15Mbps is about 5x what you need, at least 3x

Hmm, those bitrates are pretty low. When I did my testing back in the day 2.5 to 3 Mbps range looked better on QuickSync than it did with NVENC, less artifacts were present. What you can do is do a trial recording at that bitrate and see if you like it. I personally preferred Quicksync at those levels of bitrates though

7 minutes ago, GangstaRas said:

For streaming to twitch the video bitrate should be set exactly at 3.5MBps and nothing higher.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

For streaming to twitch the video bitrate should be set exactly at 3.5MBps and nothing higher.

So NVEnc or Quicksync at that point for performance? I don't care that much about quality, it's not like I am a big channel or I stream a lot.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

So NVEnc or Quicksync at that point for performance? I don't care that much about quality, it's not like I am a big channel or I stream a lot.

I always use GPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I always use GPU.

I'll wait for @zMeul's test, assuming it wasn't sarcasm.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler