Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

7 hours ago, tantalus said:

No. There is not a single reason a new pc should not have all these issues. But you would know this if you bothered to read the trillion pages since the thread was created. This is not about a broken piece of hardware or a faulty videocard. You guys still dont get it..

Still the question remains, what can impact every device in the same way and only localized while still persistent if you move a device.

I honestly think we can nail it down to some very weird interferences or some power issue which in my opinion is less likely.

Threre is probably nothing we can do and thats what so frustrating, alot of people get to enjoy games while for us its not possible for this very weird reason.

If you are interested:

I was in different Stores a few Weeks ago because I wanted to buy a Nintendo Switch.

I tried the Game Stations to test the Switch Consoles.

And I noticed that there was flickering in every Store on the Switch (Handheld Mode)

Jagged Edges and flickering when Moving the Camera/View

I hope this will help you a lot, you can also test something like that yourself.

Goes to the Shops and plays at the Games Stations.

Sry for my poor English, i'm from Germany.

What is going on with this?

Nobody is complaing how games looks on PC, mobile phones and consoles only on this forum and other people on internet.

Nobody have eyes or they think that is normal to games look like shit in 21. century.

For me this is never gonna be fixed and I started to play Arma 3 again beside low LOD and texture flickering.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, tantalus said:

This is not about a broken piece of hardware or a faulty videocard. You guys still dont get it..

We get it ok but your attitude goes on my nervs like you are smart ass guy and we are imbeciles who know's only to turn on PC or consoles and nothing more.

CALM DOWN FFS!!! ???

3 hours ago, Strider890 said:

What is going on with this?

Nobody is complaing how games looks on PC, mobile phones and consoles only on this forum and other people on internet.

lol.... there is a thing called Google. Use it. You will be surprised how many people complain about this.

And again, if you didnt bother to read all the pages before these two last ones... you dont have a clue what we are talking about. You are from the DX11 generation so you obviously think that videogames look perfectly fine these days. Its undestandable. Someone who played videogames only for the last 8 years will never EVER understand what we are talking about. This is not me being a smart ass, it is just common sense.

28 minutes ago, tantalus said:

lol.... there is a thing called Google. Use it. You will be surprised how many people complain about this.

And again, if you didnt bother to read all the pages before these two last ones... you dont have a clue what we are talking about. You are from the DX11 generation so you obviously think that videogames look perfectly fine these days. Its undestandable. Someone who played videogames only for the last 8 years will never EVER understand what we are talking about. This is not me being a smart ass, it is just common sense.

I don't have nothing against you but this shit is like cancer.

Does your dark souls 3 look the same? The shimmering is huge. You can clearly see it in the Dancer's room at 0:22 on the left side. The candlesticks, chandeliers, ladder everything is shimmering like hell. 

I recorded this video to show to my friend so I speak there in my native language. Just mute the video and watch it. 

https://streamable.com/whtzt

The shimmering and pop up looks like they are affected by something e.g sometimes I have low and sometimes high intensity in Arma 3.

1 hour ago, Strider890 said:

The shimmering and pop up looks like they are affected by something e.g sometimes I have low and sometimes high intensity in Arma 3.

It indeed is, my observation so far is that metall or other reflecting textures are the main issue here, thats also the reason why at night time most of the textures look absolutly fine.

4 hours ago, Lonilele said:

Does your dark souls 3 look the same? The shimmering is huge. You can clearly see it in the Dancer's room at 0:22 on the left side. The candlesticks, chandeliers, ladder everything is shimmering like hell. 

I recorded this video to show to my friend so I speak there in my native language. Just mute the video and watch it. 

https://streamable.com/whtzt

Capture that with your phone or camera and send it straight to nvidia and ask them how that is normal in there opinion.

1 hour ago, Sanspooky said:

I recorded some video of this issues look at this shit:

I feel you bro.

Is there anyone with witcher 3 installed who could check one place?

It's the very, very beginning of the game when Geralt woke up from the "tutorial dream".

Watch it on fullscreen.

https://streamable.com/w01a7

Just skip it to 0:55 and you don't even have to look closely. Im sure you will see it.
I wonder if you have the same issue. 
The shimmering is huge. 
The game is maxed out. I mean everything is on ultra including nvidia hairwork. Only sharpen is set to low. 

Well. This spot looks very good when I scale the resolution to 4k. This is how it should look like even on my native res I think.

https://streamable.com/ktui9

At the beginning it's 4k then you can clearly see a switch to 1080 and then switch to 4k again. 4k looks fine, 1080p looks terrible. I don't know what could I do with it.

I can't believe it's been a year. A year with this problem. A whole year searching for answer to a very simple question. And the question is: why my games look like shit?

Since it's been a year I decided to do a summary of everything I tried. I won't say or show anything new, just a quick summary of a past year.

So, when did these issues started?

Problems started once I installed RTX 2080 Ti to my main gaming rig exactly one year ago, at december 31, 2018. I noticed first problems during the first week of january, 2019.

What kind of issues we are talking about?

Completely broken anti-aliasing in 3D apps. There are various problems of massive shimmering, flickering and jaggies in ALL games. To keep it short: TAA produces weird flickering on various edges of objects even if the scene is static and camera isn't moving, but jaggies are minimal (examples: Assassin's Creed: OdysseyGreedFall, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, No Man's Sky, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Red Dead Redemption 2). All other AA methods, such as FXAA, SMAA, MSAA etc. have massive jaggies and shimmering when moving, in some cases jaggies are visible on static scene too (examples: Destiny 2, No Man's Sky, The Long Dark).

I also noticed massively increased jagginess in all video content, doesn't matter if it's media player or web browser, all videos are affected.

To summarize, it feels that computers completely lost their ability to proper render and work with AA.

Wait, you say computers. Does this also happen on other systems?

Yes. I tried several PCs, laptop and even some separate parts of hardware. This will sound crazy, but my secondary PC, which haven't been turned on since 2016 summer, now have identical issues to my main gaming PC. Laptop too. Now, I haven't changed any hardware parts in my secondary PC or messed around with apps. This problem just came out of nowhere. Like magic. Maybe my RTX 2080 Ti has some bad aura or what?

Are there any AA methods, which work 100% fine without any issues?

No. All of them, more or less, have various problems, be it jaggies, shimmering or flickering or all of them together. There are few games, which look fine enough, but the problems are still there. I played Metro Exodus back in february and I didn't noticed ANY problems at all. But back then I wasn't aware that this issue is widespread and that it affects all of the games, so maybe I just didn't noticed any problems. Resident Evil 2 remake also looks kinda okayish. There are still flickering on static image (if set to TAA), or massive jaggies (if set to FXAA or SMAA), but TAA looks decent in this game. 90% of the environments are dark in this game and darkness masks these issues quite well. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is also decent. It has Filmic SMAA, which is much better than standard SMAA. There are still jaggies and flickering, but nothing too bad, game is quite playable.

Did everything worked fine before december 31, 2018?

Yes. Games looked super gorgeous on all resolutions using any of the AA methods and any of the graphical settings. There was no flickering, shimmering or jaggies. I didn't even knew that such horrible graphical distortions could happen.

Is there a way to counter this issue?

In my case, no. Using Nvidia DSR or increasing render scale in-game settings (if it has one) has very little impact on flickering, shimmering and jaggies. Again, my Destiny 2 video is a good example of it.

What troubleshooting you have tried?

I don't know how many hours I spent trying various things and searching the internet for answers, but it's probably well over 100 hours. I search internet every day, there are new reports every week of similar issues here and there, but nothing specific.

Below is a list of what I tried:

- Different combos of graphical settings in each specific game

- Various settings in NVCP

- Reinstalling GPU drivers (using DDU), various versions of drivers, both old and new

- Doing a clean reinstall of Windows OS (tried Windows 10 and Windows 7)

- Various settings in Windows, such as changing power settings, disabling game mode, enabling/disabling page file etc.

- Many different video cards (RTX 2080 Ti, GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1070, GTX 980, GTX 780, GTX 760)

- Completely changed every single part of my main gaming PC (new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, SSD, even got a new case and new coolers)

- Laptop (tested my games on both 860m and integrated GPU)

- Different monitors (1080p and 1440p) and TVs (1080p and 4K), also various settings on them

- Also tested the games on my secondary PC (with an old AMD CPU and GTX 980)

- High quality 8K certified DP cable, new and different HDMI cable

- High quality extension cord with a surge protection

- Different electrical outlets in different rooms

- Updating BIOS

- Changing various settings in BIOS such as disabling c-states etc.

- Disabling Steam, Origin and other app overlays (I heard it could cause similar issues)

- GPU overclocking and downclocking

- Disabling all the unnecessary processes, such as antivirus, afterburner, bluetooth etc (I keep my main gaming PC clean, just Steam, few apps and games).

And so on and so on.

So, I think that's it, guys. Have a nice holidays and happy new year!

What's the point in buying the high end gaming PC if you can't even play games because they look awful. This is ridiculous. With every new nvidia driver I have hope that this particular driver will fix it.

@Lonilele

Regarding The Witcher 3, yes, it looks the same on my pc. So frustrating I see everyone playing the game after watching the show on Netflix, and I cannot do that. As a wise man(Geralt) once said... "Fuck".

On 12/31/2019 at 4:56 AM, Asasinas said:

I can't believe it's been a year. A year with this problem. A whole year searching for answer to a very simple question. And the question is: why my games look like shit?

Since it's been a year I decided to do a summary of everything I tried. I won't say or show anything new, just a quick summary of a past year.

So, when did these issues started?

Problems started once I installed RTX 2080 Ti to my main gaming rig exactly one year ago, at december 31, 2018. I noticed first problems during the first week of january, 2019.

What kind of issues we are talking about?

Completely broken anti-aliasing in 3D apps. There are various problems of massive shimmering, flickering and jaggies in ALL games. To keep it short: TAA produces weird flickering on various edges of objects even if the scene is static and camera isn't moving, but jaggies are minimal (examples: Assassin's Creed: OdysseyGreedFall, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, No Man's Sky, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Red Dead Redemption 2). All other AA methods, such as FXAA, SMAA, MSAA etc. have massive jaggies and shimmering when moving, in some cases jaggies are visible on static scene too (examples: Destiny 2, No Man's Sky, The Long Dark).

I also noticed massively increased jagginess in all video content, doesn't matter if it's media player or web browser, all videos are affected.

To summarize, it feels that computers completely lost their ability to proper render and work with AA.

Wait, you say computers. Does this also happen on other systems?

Yes. I tried several PCs, laptop and even some separate parts of hardware. This will sound crazy, but my secondary PC, which haven't been turned on since 2016 summer, now have identical issues to my main gaming PC. Laptop too. Now, I haven't changed any hardware parts in my secondary PC or messed around with apps. This problem just came out of nowhere. Like magic. Maybe my RTX 2080 Ti has some bad aura or what?

Are there any AA methods, which work 100% fine without any issues?

No. All of them, more or less, have various problems, be it jaggies, shimmering or flickering or all of them together. There are few games, which look fine enough, but the problems are still there. I played Metro Exodus back in february and I didn't noticed ANY problems at all. But back then I wasn't aware that this issue is widespread and that it affects all of the games, so maybe I just didn't noticed any problems. Resident Evil 2 remake also looks kinda okayish. There are still flickering on static image (if set to TAA), or massive jaggies (if set to FXAA or SMAA), but TAA looks decent in this game. 90% of the environments are dark in this game and darkness masks these issues quite well. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is also decent. It has Filmic SMAA, which is much better than standard SMAA. There are still jaggies and flickering, but nothing too bad, game is quite playable.

Did everything worked fine before december 31, 2018?

Yes. Games looked super gorgeous on all resolutions using any of the AA methods and any of the graphical settings. There was no flickering, shimmering or jaggies. I didn't even knew that such horrible graphical distortions could happen.

Is there a way to counter this issue?

In my case, no. Using Nvidia DSR or increasing render scale in-game settings (if it has one) has very little impact on flickering, shimmering and jaggies. Again, my Destiny 2 video is a good example of it.

What troubleshooting you have tried?

I don't know how many hours I spent trying various things and searching the internet for answers, but it's probably well over 100 hours. I search internet every day, there are new reports every week of similar issues here and there, but nothing specific.

Below is a list of what I tried:

- Different combos of graphical settings in each specific game

- Various settings in NVCP

- Reinstalling GPU drivers (using DDU), various versions of drivers, both old and new

- Doing a clean reinstall of Windows OS (tried Windows 10 and Windows 7)

- Various settings in Windows, such as changing power settings, disabling game mode, enabling/disabling page file etc.

- Many different video cards (RTX 2080 Ti, GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1070, GTX 980, GTX 780, GTX 760)

- Completely changed every single part of my main gaming PC (new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, SSD, even got a new case and new coolers)

- Laptop (tested my games on both 860m and integrated GPU)

- Different monitors (1080p and 1440p) and TVs (1080p and 4K), also various settings on them

- Also tested the games on my secondary PC (with an old AMD CPU and GTX 980)

- High quality 8K certified DP cable, new and different HDMI cable

- High quality extension cord with a surge protection

- Different electrical outlets in different rooms

- Updating BIOS

- Changing various settings in BIOS such as disabling c-states etc.

- Disabling Steam, Origin and other app overlays (I heard it could cause similar issues)

- GPU overclocking and downclocking

- Disabling all the unnecessary processes, such as antivirus, afterburner, bluetooth etc (I keep my main gaming PC clean, just Steam, few apps and games).

And so on and so on.

So, I think that's it, guys. Have a nice holidays and happy new year!

It's pretty much the same for me. At the beginning of this year, I changed most of my pc components like RAM, MOBO and CPU. During summer break I bought myself a RTX 2060 and that's really when I started noticing this as well. People who don't experience this think it's normal and keep saying "oh yeah, there are limitations that's why it looks like this" if that was the case I would notice this years ago. I've been gaming for years and it's actually the first time I'm experiencing something like this. I've also pretty much done everything above and nothing seems to work. I can't game anymore, it bothers me too much. I try tweaking a game for days sometimes and spend more time while tweaking than actually playing the darn game.

I believe it's mostly related to bad draw distance at this point. I have everything on Ultra game looks awesome but 50 meters away the ground (like the wooden part) is shimmering, the edges of buildings are flickering.

Witcher 3 for instance, I played that game for 250 hours and I was looking forward to playing with some graphic mods but I started noticing bad lod and shimmering all of a sudden. Never have I witnessed something like that in my 250 hours of playtime. It literally came out of nowhere.

27 minutes ago, Jokel 1 said:

So this is how games are ''supposed'' to look 

Is it a bad thing that I started seeing the same shimmering on my YT videos as well? Funny enough, I watched the same exact videos on my phone and they too had the shimmering. What is going on? Either I was blind or something is wrong here.

One is sure, nobody don't care about this issue. We are left alone.

2 hours ago, phrasal said:

Is it a bad thing that I started seeing the same shimmering on my YT videos as well? Funny enough, I watched the same exact videos on my phone and they too had the shimmering. What is going on? Either I was blind or something is wrong here.

I see little shimmering in those videos on phone but not even close to that much,i also see some on youtube but much less.

If I watch footage in these small windows I also have this massive shimmering on Steam. But if I watch a video in game page, it looks much better. And yes, like I said, I have this on most YouTube videos too.

Quick example:

Do you see shimmering on buildings and foliage? Especially visible at 0:29 sec. I have this shimmering effect in most games videos on YouTube.

@Asasinas

Yep i see huge shimmering in this video but I think everyone does bcuz it's recorded like this. I watched on my phone and I see it too. Showed it to my friend and he also sees. But i think it's normal.