Full refunds available for GTX 970 owners (Amazon)

RoroTheDeer

I recently discovered that full refunds are available to those who bought their GTX 970s from an Amazon supplier (Amazon EU S.a.r.L in my case), so I contacted Amazon support through text chat and within a few minutes I got my return order.

Thanks for the free 1070 upgrade, Nvidia ;)

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

What's the catch?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

What's the catch?

Nothing. Just contact Amazon support asking about it and they should offer you it. Really simple. (not sponsored ;) )

Only in the US right?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

1 minute ago, Insp1r3 said:

Nothing. Just contact Amazon support asking about it and they should offer you it. Really simple. (not sponsored ;) )

Dammit! I bought mine at a little local shop, thinking I would get better support...

Just now, racer243l said:

Only in the US right?

I'm in the UK, so I guess everywhere just as long as you got it from an Amazon supplier.

Just now, SandersFlor said:

Dammit! I bought mine at a little local shop, thinking I would get better support...

You should try to contact them and explain the lawsuit. I'm sure they'll try and help you out in any way that they can. Hell, you may even be able to get a refund for it being under warranty!

Hm, I bought mine from Amazon Germany, so I might give it a try

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

ooooooohhh thats gonna hurt :S  thousands of "old" cards coming back for full refunds.  Like op said though, most will probably just get a 1070 so they're still getting the money back plus some

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

ooooooohhh thats gonna hurt :S  thousands of "old" cards coming back for full refunds.  Like op said though, most will probably just get a 1070 so they're still getting the money back plus some

Nvidia wouldn't have to be dealing with this if this "miscommunication" never happened. But hey, it's something that was bound to happen.

YES! MY PLAN COMES ALONG! Now i'll just go to a retailer and ask them if i can have 3 970's for like 500euros and then just build some rigs and sell em for profit! MUAHAHAHA! 

Nvidia wouldn't have to be dealing with this if this "miscommunication" never happened. But hey, it's something that was bound to happen.

Yeah I can't say that they didn't have it coming or don't deserve it xD I just bet they're wishing this happened a while ago so they'd have a chance of reselling the cards as refurbished or something like that.  Do you think there will be a surge of refurb 970's floating around in a few months?  like 100$ 970's?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

21 minutes ago, Insp1r3 said:

I recently discovered that full refunds are available to those who bought their GTX 970s from an Amazon supplier (Amazon EU S.a.r.L in my case), so I contacted Amazon support through text chat and within a few minutes I got my return order.

Thanks for the free 1070 upgrade, Nvidia ;)

I bought my GTX 970 from the same amazon supplier. Do you need the original packaging in order to get the full refund?

Just now, SauronsV said:

I bought my GTX 970 from the same amazon supplier. Do you need the original packaging in order to get the full refund?

It's the same as any Amazon return order, so I'd imagine so.

Just now, Katsunaka said:

Aren't you supposed to get 30 bucks, not a refund? I mean I own a 970 and PC gamer had an article about getting the 30 bucks. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-settles-gtx970-false-advertising-lawsuit/

I assumed it was you get 30$ and keep your card or return it for a refund but I haven't looked into it since I don't own any 970's

I bought my 970 from newegg because it was cheaper at the time.....

never newegg again

Just now, Katsunaka said:

Aren't you supposed to get 30 bucks, not a refund? I mean I own a 970 and PC gamer had an article about getting the 30 bucks. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-settles-gtx970-false-advertising-lawsuit/

I found this Reddit thread and thought I might give a full refund a try since I'd be sacrificing more than £100 trying to sell my 970 used when I can get the full price back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4v5dqd/if_you_bought_a_gtx_970_from_amazon_you_are/

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

I bought my 970 from newegg because it was cheaper at the time.....

never newegg again

Yeah, you're not the only one pissed at NewEgg. A lot of people have been complaining about how they aren't able to get their 20% or full refund. I tried ordering a motherboard from them once and it was DOA, tried to contact them and they couldn't replace it. Since then it's only been Amazon for my orders :) 

i bought my gtx970 g1 at a store that doesnt even excist anymore. Im screwed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

I'd rather not deal with the hassle of returning it but you can get a 20% refund on the purchase as well which mean essentially free 60 bucks for me, I'm sure it's credit though, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I found this Reddit thread and thought I might give a full refund a try since I'd be sacrificing more than £100 trying to sell my 970 used when I can get the full price back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4v5dqd/if_you_bought_a_gtx_970_from_amazon_you_are/

20% of the what 350 US is 70 bucks? 

Amazon will be pissed when they find out they screwed up. I didnt buy mine through amazon anyway, I'll take my 30 bucks and keep the card around, at least you can still cash out on it. 30 bucks, sell it to someone for 100 and end up with 130 on a card, if you REALLY wanna get rid of it. 

Plus your in the UK anyway OP. So any refunds might be specific to Amazon.co.uk. 

7 minutes ago, Insp1r3 said:

Yeah, you're not the only one pissed at NewEgg. A lot of people have been complaining about how they aren't able to get their 20% or full refund. I tried ordering a motherboard from them once and it was DOA, tried to contact them and they couldn't replace it. Since then it's only been Amazon for my orders :) 

If only Amazon had rebates... The price they have is the price you pay. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2016 at 4:54 PM, Insp1r3 said:

You should try to contact them and explain the lawsuit. I'm sure they'll try and help you out in any way that they can. Hell, you may even be able to get a refund for it being under warranty!

Isn't this a US lawsuit? 

If so... I don't think they will be able to help me since I live in Europe... Or am I totally wrong?