Looking for new PSU

Simon771

So I received my 3rd GTX 1070 from RMA, because coil whine.

All 3 of those GTX 1070 have coil whine, so I decided to buy another PSU.

Right now I'm using RM650x, and I kinda like RM650i. Those corsair "i" versions have monitoring software, so I can check how much power it's drawing etc.

But I'm afraid that RM650x and RM650i use same capacitors and same coils, so I belive that if I have coil whine with 650x, I will also have it with 650i.

Any suggestions on PSUs? Lookig for something around 150€.

I live in EU.

It must be 100% modular.

And without coil whine xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

9 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Right now I'm using RM650x, and I kinda like RM650i. Those corsair "i" versions have monitoring software, so I can check how much power it's drawing etc.

But I'm afraid that RM650x and RM650i use same capacitors and same coils, so I belive that if I have coil whine with 650x, I will also have it with 650i.

I live in EU.

It must be 100% modular.

Well, coil whine is a per-unit problem, so you'll have to try luck

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/9G7wrH/xfx-power-supply-p1650bbefx

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/CfXfrH/seasonic-power-supply-ss660xp2

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650w.

I've personally built 3 systems with the G2 series, they're absolutely wonderful. Fully modular.

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That XFX is sadly only 550W avaliable in my local shop.

Should be still fine. Maybe I will just buy it and test it if I get coil whine with it ... if it will be same crap, I will return it, and hope they will give money back xD 

2 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650w.

I've personally built 3 systems with the G2 series, they're absolutely wonderful. Fully modular.

550W version of that is avaliable, 650W is not.

There is also 750W option, but around 2 weeks to wait for it :( 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

That XFX is sadly only 550W avaliable in my local shop.

Should be still fine. Maybe I will just buy it and test it if I get coil whine with it ... if it will be same crap, I will return it, and hope they will give money back xD 

550W should be fine for any system without crossfire anyway

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Simon771 said:

Avaliable as in it doesn't exist or out of stock?

And I mean sure.. It'd be overkill but you could go for the 850w.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Also yes, 550w should be enough.

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

okay sounds good :) 

5 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Avaliable as in it doesn't exist or out of stock?

And I mean sure.. It'd be overkill but you could go for the 850w.

Not avaliable ... there just isn't 650W version in store. There is 550w, 750w, 850w and 1000W.

All except 550W have long waiting date.

WD My Cloud 4TB

Your build should run just fine on 550w, so I can't do anything but recommend the EVGA G2 550w HIGHLY.

8 hours ago, MVPernula said:

Your build should run just fine on 550w, so I can't do anything but recommend the EVGA G2 550w HIGHLY.

In the EU, due to Brexit, a lot of things are more expensive and high demand parts like the G2 are overpriced when the Corsair RMi is marginally better.

9 hours ago, Simon771 said:

I live in EU.

It must be 100% modular.

RMA your PSU. Corsair is very friendly about RMA and coil whine, from what I've heard (never RMA'd a Corsair part but I'm sure @thekeemohas something to say about them). Coil whine is technically not a "defect" by manufacturing standards so it's not usually RMA-able by most brands but EVGA does it so Corsair naturally would do so.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

In the EU, due to Brexit, a lot of things are more expensive and high demand parts like the G2 are overpriced when the Corsair RMi is marginally better.

RMA your PSU. Corsair is very friendly about RMA and coil whine, from what I've heard (never RMA'd a Corsair part but I'm sure @thekeemohas something to say about them). Coil whine is technically not a "defect" by manufacturing standards so it's not usually RMA-able by most brands but EVGA does it so Corsair naturally would do so.

Corsair is decent but some reports of having to pay shipping to rma a psu which is insane because of how heavy they are

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

15 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

15 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Corsair is decent but some reports of having to pay shipping to rma a psu which is insane because of how heavy they are

Yeah well that's exactly the problem. Shipping isn't cheap and customer always have to pay it.

Also if I send them my PSU back, I can't use my PC.

So I went ahead and bought XFX TS 650 650W 80Plus Gold.

It's not modular, but I would even risk that just to fix my problem. Sadly even with totaly differend PSU, I still have coil whine.

Now I can only hope that store will take that PSU back since I have no use for it.

It seems like I realy am unlucky, and got 3x GTX 1070 all with coil whine.

EVGA still offers me to send back my GPU, but every time I send it back, I have to pay 25€ for shipping, and then waiting like 2 weeks for process to be done.

Not to mention that I have my GPU in water loop, so I would have to drain everything, remove water loop, go back to air cooling for 2 weeks, then when new card arrives, again water loop etc.

Paid 520€ for GPU + 50€ for 2x shipping it back ... I'm done with RMAs. I will just have to live with that annoying coil whine.

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Yeah well that's exactly the problem. Shipping isn't cheap and customer always have to pay it.

Also if I send them my PSU back, I can't use my PC.

So I went ahead and bought XFX TS 650 650W 80Plus Gold.

It's not modular, but I would even risk that just to fix my problem. Sadly even with totaly differend PSU, I still have coil whine.

Now I can only hope that store will take that PSU back since I have no use for it.

It seems like I realy am unlucky, and got 3x GTX 1070 all with coil whine.

EVGA still offers me to send back my GPU, but every time I send it back, I have to pay 25€ for shipping, and then waiting like 2 weeks for process to be done.

Not to mention that I have my GPU in water loop, so I would have to drain everything, remove water loop, go back to air cooling for 2 weeks, then when new card arrives, again water loop etc.

Paid 520€ for GPU + 50€ for 2x shipping it back ... I'm done with RMAs. I will just have to live with that annoying coil whine.

Bcomplain and they will send you a shipping label.

Also leave your experience in the thread below!

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.