PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 minute ago, Ektelion said:

shorter? you mean by size? nothing else inside of the product itself?

Yeah, pretty much

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, Ektelion said:

shorter? you mean by size? nothing else inside of the product itself?

Yes, size.  

For performance and noise, they're practically the same. They use a different platform, since they're shorter. 

:)

B3 should be tier 7 because it's a fire hazard

Also the gap with tier 3 and tier 4 is HUGE

Is there any difference between rm550x and rm750x both 2018 version other than wattage itself, im thinking like extra protections on large unit or something like that.

550w should be enough for my build rx 580 + ryzen 2200g/2400g (havnt decided yet) i plan to upgrade CPU to 3000 series as they come out, same with amd GPU.

Price difference between PSUs is about 30 euros so im leaning more towards rm550x but if larger unit gives better protection/is more durable i wouldnt mind spending extra for that.

1 minute ago, Bezki said:

Is there any difference between rm550x and rm750x both 2018 version other than wattage itself, im thinking like extra protections on large unit or something like that.

550w should be enough for my build rx 580 + ryzen 2200g/2400g (havnt decided yet) i plan to upgrade CPU to 3000 series as they come out, same with amd GPU.

Price difference between PSUs is about 30 euros so im leaning more towards rm550x but if larger unit gives better protection/is more durable i wouldnt mind spending extra for that.

Protections are the same on both units.
Really the only difference between the two you will notice is the wattage and the number of connectors that it has. The RM550x (2018) has 1x 8pin EPS, 2x PCIe 6+2pin, and 6 SATA connectors. The RM750x (2018) has 2x 8pin EPS, 4x PCIe 6+2pin, and 9 SATA connectors.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Bezki said:

Since the RMx lacks multi rail, if anything, the 550W offers better protection.

As mentioned, the extra connectors is the main benefit. The 550W only has a single PCIe cable with 2 connectors, so if you're looking at a high power GPU, you might want a different PSU. 

thx for quick reply guys, is rx 580 considered high power GPU that would warrant something stronger than 550w? 

I dont plan on doing any OC or SLI, and would probably have up to 3-4 SSD/HDD so connector wise rm550x should be enough.

What kind of card would need more than single PCIe cable with 2 connectors?

5 minutes ago, Bezki said:

thx for quick reply guys, is rx 580 considered high power GPU that would warrant something stronger than 550w? 

I dont plan on doing any OC or SLI, and would probably have up to 3-4 SSD/HDD so connector wise rm550x should be enough.

No. The spec for an 8 pin connector is 150W. That's what you find on the PSU side. After the 75W from the PCIe slot, you have to have a >225W GPU to be out of that spec. That's what I consider to be high power. That would include the highest end Nvidia cards and Vega. 

34 minutes ago, Bezki said:

The RX580 is more towards mid range in terms of graphics cards. For "high powered cards" it's stuff like the Vega 56/Vega 64, Radeon VII, GTX 1080Ti/2080Ti, Titan, etc. Stuff that needs 2x 8pin PCIe connectors.
The RM550x will be fine for your system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, ears_ears said:

B3 should be tier 7 because it's a fire hazard

Also the gap with tier 3 and tier 4 is HUGE

It's quite a competitive budget design, and not a fire hazard.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/be-quiet-s9-evga-b3-80plus-bronze-test/3/#abschnitt_schutzschaltungen

Not that I support the tier list, this PSU is hardly comparable to others in T7, lol.

And no, the gap isn't really huge. For example, the Cougar GX-S (tier 3) IMO is hardly better than the EVGA BQ in tier 4. 

The Cougar is loud, no inrush protection, ripple is only OK.

No matter who makes this PSU tier list, it will have flaws and controversy. That's a given. You cant sort power supplies into simple categories.

Hello, so the thing is, my old PC (planing to replace whole new pc, in 1 year or so..) is having some problems with PSU. So i'm looking for something dirt cheap, but also kinda good to replace it. Anyone could give me some psu names?

That are cheap, but also silent mainly silent or olsmot no noise?

Budget would be around 40-60$

More psu names the better ? Watts i would need 450 if i'm not mistaken? From wall while gaming it's pulling around 380..

PC parts:

GPU - gtx 660 oc gaming

CPU - amd fx-8120

Mobo - asrock 970 pro3

1 hdd 5 fans..

2 sticks of ram

Thanks for helping in advance. ?

22 minutes ago, IDontKnoww said:

Hello, so the thing is, my old PC (planing to replace whole new pc, in 1 year or so..) is having some problems with PSU. So i'm looking for something dirt cheap, but also kinda good to replace it. Anyone could give me some psu names?

More psu names the better ? Watts i would need 450 if i'm not mistaken? From wall while gaming it's pulling around 380..

PC parts:

GPU - gtx 660 oc gaming

CPU - amd fx-8120

Mobo - asrock 970 pro3

1 hdd 5 fans..

2 sticks of ram

Where are you from? Can you provide a link to a store?

47 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Where are you from? Can you provide a link to a store?

Can get any psu via online, but here are some stores> 

https://www.dateks.lv/cenas/psu-barosanas-bloki

https://www.1a.lv/datoru_komponentes_tikla_produkti/korpuss_dzesesana/barosanas_bloki?search_text=Barošanas+bloki+(PSU)

https://m79.lv/datorukomponentes/barosanasbloki

They all offer more or less the same.. Can get any psu of psu list's..

Hello i finally gathered the money to buy a pc.I've found a seasonic focus plus 550 platinum and a bitfenix formula gold 750w for the about the same price 90€.I'm planning to pair it with a vega 56 the thing is i want to oc and flash vega 64 bios on it will 550w do the job?Thanks.

4 hours ago, Panos_Vl said:

Hello i finally gathered the money to buy a pc.I've found a seasonic focus plus 550 platinum and a bitfenix formula gold 750w for the about the same price 90€.I'm planning to pair it with a vega 56 the thing is i want to oc and flash vega 64 bios on it will 550w do the job?Thanks.

For the same price, I would take the 750W

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

14 hours ago, Rexper said:

It's quite a competitive budget design, and not a fire hazard.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/be-quiet-s9-evga-b3-80plus-bronze-test/3/#abschnitt_schutzschaltungen

Not that I support the tier list, this PSU is hardly comparable to others in T7, lol.

And no, the gap isn't really huge. For example, the Cougar GX-S (tier 3) IMO is hardly better than the EVGA BQ in tier 4. 

The Cougar is loud, no inrush protection, ripple is only OK.

No matter who makes this PSU tier list, it will have flaws and controversy. That's a given. You cant sort power supplies into simple categories.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-b3-psu,5160-6.html

OPP doesn't work

4 hours ago, ears_ears said:

a) with the Sample Toms Hardware had

b) Computerbase disagrees

c) its possible that they fixed it. Wich should be a relatively easy fix as all you need to do is to get an engineer to calculate some resistors. And change the Resistors in the Pick and Place Machine. That's a rather trivial fix...

Oh and there is also another possible fix: You use better MOSFETs on the Primary side.

As its the Primary Swtiching MOSFETs that exploded the input voltage doesn't really matter in this case...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 hours ago, IDontKnoww said:

PC parts:

GPU - gtx 660 oc gaming

CPU - amd fx-8120

Mobo - asrock 970 pro3

1 hdd 5 fans..

2 sticks of ram

Anyone any examples? ☹️

Hi all, is a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W overkill for ASUS Strix Vega 56 and a Ryzen 5 2600? 

1 minute ago, bigotee said:

Hi all, is a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W overkill for ASUS Strix Vega 56 and a Ryzen 5 2600? 

No, but rather a formula gold 750W instead if you live in the US. 

3 hours ago, bigotee said:

"Overkill" is a silly word when we get no details.

Do you have the PSU already?
Is a 650/550W cheaper? Why are you looking at 750w?

That system would be fine with a high quality 550w PSU. If you plan to overclock both CPU + GPU pretty far, I'd suggest a good 650w.

Remember computer power supplies are designed as "pull". They will only deliver what your system needs. So a higher wattage PSU doesn't mean it will consume more power.

19 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

For the same price, I would take the 750W

thanks for the advice

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is anything known about Corsair's 2018 RMx units?

They're top quality of the consumer units (not seasonic Prime. evga P2, corsair ax/hxi series etc. level but also not as expensive) along with the whisper m and the straight power 11. A notch above the EVGA G2/G3, which both are a notch above the Seasonic Focus/Focus+.