CD vs iTunes

Cosmos_i7
Go to solution Solved by tycheleto,

I think the best way is to try it for yourself. Take a CD you are familiar with and you think sounds good, rip it in full AIFF and in 256kbps, and compare them for yourself. I doubt the difference is that major on the M50, especially when on the go, but some people may be more sensitive than others to this

You can group together seperate albums, artists and so on. I like to organise everything into folders though. Or have different genre structures. I find it works very well for me. It's quicker to select which music I like.

That's fine for smaller libraries. However, I'm faced with having hundreds of albums, most of which are in AIFF, and I would have to first sort what I want, then convert them all, then delete the originals. This is just messy in comparison to what iTunes offers for iOS, you choose what you want, you get it to convert higher bitrate songs for syncing, and it just works.

Again, I understand your method has its merits, and it might work great for you, but it just doesn't offer the same level of functionality as iTunes for me.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

just so we're clear, im not trying to instigate an argument here, so lets calm down shall we lol!

i've owned many earphones, from cheap ones to quiet expensive ones, and the apple ones, though being priced at $30, have beaten others in term of life and quality even when others have costed $50 upwards. this includes their old ones and their new ones (the pod ones)

maybe they do cost $8 to manufacture, but they are cleverly designed. or at least i think so

Sorry I thought you were playing with me because I thought it was obvious the article I posted was about imitation buds.  :)

They'll definitely have tighter quality controls that's for sure, I can't see apple putting their name on Taiwanese ear buds without it.

Sound is always an individual thing, For me they are better than the $10 goodguys buds I found behind the couch, but not as good as my senns MX's ($30) and I haven't really compared them to anything else I have because that would not be an apples to apples comparison. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's fine for smaller libraries. However, I'm faced with having hundreds of albums, most of which are in AIFF, and I would have to first sort what I want, then convert them all, then delete the originals. This is just messy in comparison to what iTunes offers for iOS, you choose what you want, you get it to convert higher bitrate songs for syncing, and it just works.

Again, I understand your method has its merits, and it might work great for you, but it just doesn't offer the same level of functionality as iTunes for me.

I have probably 100,000 plus songs. I have a pretty large lybrary. Not sure quite how many but I have a folder filled with over 100 songs. The other folder have a little less but it increases all the time thanks to OCRemix and YouTube.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I have probably 100,000 plus songs. I have a pretty large lybrary. Not sure quite how many but I have a folder filled with over 100 songs. The other folder have a little less but it increases all the time thanks to OCRemix and YouTube.

Fine. You can get it to work for you. Still doesn't mean it's the best option for everyone. I have tried other methods and they just do not work as well FOR ME.

I've already said I don't want to get into a long drawn out battle over which is better. I see very little productive things coming out of this.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Fine. You can get it to work for you. Still doesn't mean it's the best option for everyone. I have tried other methods and they just do not work as well FOR ME.

I've already said I don't want to get into a long drawn out battle over which is better. I see very little productive things coming out of this.

I agree with that response entirely. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

So, hypothetically speaking.. you find the itunes versions clearly a little off compared to the CD.... what would you still do?  

The difference is so small that it isn't really worth the effort. I think it may have even been a placebo test, maybe if I did a blind test with more songs I would notice. But generally I couldn't tell much of a difference if at all.

@kuddlesworth9419 @ShearMe @tycheleto @mr moose @iWearKiltz @stevv

Come on guys really? This was just a simple post trying to address a fairly simple but slightly objective point to the difference between CD and iTunes.

How this got into a debate between Windows and iTunes I do not know, nor do I know how we managed to talk about earphones as well!!???

Here is my opinion, iTunes works for me because I use iOS devices, therefore it is natively supported, coupled with the fact I use a Mac its a no-brainer. Also the way I organise music is through albums which iTunes does very well with its grid view, allowing me to see all the albums with full colour artwork and quickly choose a song. Plus the fact I can play a song without leaving the album viewer is another bonus. 

All of my files are either downloaded from iTunes or ripped from CDs as ALAC files. Not FLAC, because of compatibility issues. 

I will continue to use iTunes and Mac OS along with my iOS devices until there becomes a valid reason to not to, so far I don't see that coming. 

What has happened to this forum lately? Everyone used to be so friendly and now it looks like people want to pick arguments with random people they may never have met!

Yes you can constantly bother me saying how Windows>Mac or Android>iOS or WMP/VLC>iTunes and how everything I use is terrible and switch immediately.

I'm guessing someone will most likely reply to this with a "meme" or gif of some sort trying to be funny, but who are you trying to impress exactly? People you have never met.

End rant.

Cosmos out.

Reading this topic is like watching my mum flick through the TV for channels. It never stays on one topic lol

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

Reading this topic is like watching my mum flick through the TV for channels. It never stays on one topic lol

I literally thought someone would just say get the download, its just far more convenient. But oh no!

Come on guys really? This was just a simple post trying to address a fairly simple but slightly objective point to the difference between CD and iTunes.

How this got into a debate between Windows and iTunes I do not know, nor do I know how we managed to talk about earphones as well!!???

Here is my opinion, iTunes works for me because I use iOS devices, therefore it is natively supported, coupled with the fact I use a Mac its a no-brainer. Also the way I organise music is through albums which iTunes does very well with its grid view, allowing me to see all the albums with full colour artwork and quickly choose a song. Plus the fact I can play a song without leaving the album viewer is another bonus. 

All of my files are either downloaded from iTunes or ripped from CDs as ALAC files. Not FLAC, because of compatibility issues. 

I will continue to use iTunes and Mac OS along with my iOS devices until there becomes a valid reason to not to, so far I don't see that coming. 

What has happened to this forum lately? Everyone used to be so friendly and now it looks like people want to pick arguments with random people they may never have met!

Yes you can constantly bother me saying how Windows>Mac or Android>iOS or WMP/VLC>iTunes and how everything I use is terrible and switch immediately.

I'm guessing someone will most likely reply to this with a "meme" or gif of some sort trying to be funny, but who are you trying to impress exactly? People you have never met.

End rant.

Cosmos out.

me and moose misunderstood each other, and everything is okay now lol

sometimes an initial idea can sprout into other conversations. sorry for doing this on your thread and we were never fanboying a product. i own both windows and mac, and i primarily use google music for my music, so im more hybrid then fanboy

you might be directing this at other people, im not sure, but i can assure you me and @mr moose are not enemies and we werent arguing :)

sorry for any hassle!

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

me and moose misunderstood each other, and everything is okay now lol

sometimes an initial idea can sprout into other conversations. sorry for doing this on your thread and we were never fanboying a product. i own both windows and mac, and i primarily use google music for my music, so im more hybrid then fanboy

you might be directing this at other people, im not sure, but i can assure you me and @mr moose are not enemies and we werent arguing :)

sorry for any hassle!

No harm done. It was just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own but it shouldn't involve arguments, I like constructive debates and this was a good one. At least no insults were given, just facts and opinions. I have seen worse trust me.

Come on guys really? 

Wut, why am I on that list?  :(  Sure, your thread devolved a bit, but this is the internet yo. Your question was answered by quite a few intelligent people and then others decided to have a conversation. 

I literally thought someone would just say get the download, its just far more convenient. But oh no!

Someone did say that - you even liked the post.

I think the problem is people like you who get offended by arguments. Just because two people disagree doesn't mean they aren't being friendly. Maybe stop pushing your expectations of how we should act onto other free individuals who might happen to have a different view point? It's not like we've started insulting each other.

No harm done. It was just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own but it shouldn't involve arguments, I like constructive debates and this was a good one. At least no insults were given, just facts and opinions. I have seen worse trust me.

Welcome to the world of audio, it is a rather perplexing subject with more arms and tentacles than anime.  It is a subject that has no one exclusive component, it is all linked, it is a chain that is only as good as the weakest link, that is why discussions on sound quality can move between headphones, source files and anything in between.  I can't say anything about the itunes v windows debate, I don't see how it's relevant. As for my discussion with Kiltz, I thought it was productive calm and reasonable not to mention very relevant.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wut, why am I on that list?  :(  Sure, your thread devolved a bit, but this is the internet yo. Your question was answered by quite a few intelligent people and then others decided to have a conversation. 

Someone did say that - you even liked the post.

I think the problem is people like you who get offended by arguments. Just because two people disagree doesn't mean they aren't being friendly. Maybe stop pushing your expectations of how we should act onto other free individuals who might happen to have a different view point? It's not like we've started insulting each other.

See now you're insulting me, saying I get easily offended, the fact is 2 pages of this thread was just people arguing with eachother as to which product is better, I don't care, use whatever I didn't ask for a Windows VS iTunes debate, I asked a simple question gave my reasons but what I received was more than a straight forward answer. 

I merely tagged everyone involved in this post just to get my point across, it doesn't mean that I disagree with what you said just I felt like I needed to raise a point. 

Look I have no problem with discussing different options, the problem I have is why do it on a completely unrelated topic? I said I use iTunes, at no point did I say I wanted to switch, I use Audio Technica Headphones, at no point did I say I use £2 earphones, I use ALAC, at no point did I say I use FLAC. 

I honestly have no clue as to how this thread got so out of hand, it seems worse than some people who intentionally try to cause arguments. iTunes VS CD, all I needed was a straight answer, or list of reasons for and against. 

The question was answered 2 pages ago. Why are we still discussing this matter?

Lets stop now?

See now you're insulting me, saying I get easily offended,

Well I certainly wouldn't have said "easily" before this post, but opinions do change rapidly it seems.

Look I have no problem with discussing different options, the problem I have is why do it on a completely unrelated topic? I said I use iTunes, at no point did I say I wanted to switch, I use Audio Technica Headphones, at no point did I say I use £2 earphones, I use ALAC, at no point did I say I use FLAC. 

I honestly have no clue as to how this thread got so out of hand, it seems worse than some people who intentionally try to cause arguments. iTunes VS CD, all I needed was a straight answer, or list of reasons for and against. 

There's not exactly a chatbox for peeps to discuss unrelated topics. What're we supposed to do - start a new thread every time we sprout a new branch to a conversation? Go post on Yahoo! Answers if you want a one-way Q&A service.

You were the one providing rebuttals to people suggesting you get another music player, which would obviously only make them want to try to reinforce their suggestion. If you're perfectly content with what you're using, just ignore their suggestions and carry on with the conversation you actually want to have with the people actually answering the questions you hold.

Lets stop now?

No one said you had to stick around - convos gonna convo even without you around.

No one intentioned an argument, your original questions was which is better the itunes download or a rip of the cd. This is different for everyone and thus a discussion cropped up. They are all relevant discussions because they all centre around how to get the best result and why, they are all different because everyone's needs/ears/cash supplies are different. 

Lets stop now?

Because this is audio, we are gods, we do not stop until all conclusions are reached. 

And as the first grand benevolent dictator of the world I will have the last say. :P

So, hypothetically speaking.. you find the itunes versions clearly a little off compared to the CD.... what would you still do?

The difference is so small that it isn't really worth the effort. I think it may have even been a placebo test, maybe if I did a blind test with more songs I would notice. But generally I couldn't tell much of a difference if at all.

I don't know why I'm on the list too... 

I'm am really stuck right now. I have a small CD collection but the fact that I have credit just makes the choice that much harder.

I read from this last statement that your questioning whether to purchase or not based on cd vs itunes... so I basically wanted to ask you how bad would the audio have to be to have you give up the convenience factor. (which I believe you would still get the digital copy even if people here say they hear the difference and cd is much better... kind of making this thread pointless in the first place). 

If that isn't a legit question, then I think your just here hoping people will agree with what you already decided... which is perfectly fine with me as long as you state from the beginning... "I want to use itunes no matter what... is there a way to get my cd to itunes without paying again?"

I would have suggested that, except iTunes isn't the only solution... and doesn't really give you what I think you really want... which is to be able to have what your already own in CD to be available on itunes without paying again.

I was going to suggest the alternative (which I use) to get my CD's available online, which is google music. Something you can still use along with itunes. The free version give you I think up to 10K songs to be available, and auto syncs from computer.

With that, you can save your credits for songs your don't have or want "right now".

Btw, I know I'm posting this after the fact you already stated you pretty much want to stay with itunes (I use both)... but for anyone out there reading this and interested, there are alternatives EVEN is you only use apple products... it's not a no-brainer.

My Rigs (past and present)