AMD livestream has begun- Hawaii GPUs

Humbug

OMG they still haven't said the price yet. This is ridiculous. Oh and amd must have consulted the same focus group that liked the new banners in MS office when they were told that any of us care about better sound from a video card. I cant believe they spent an hour talking about sound.... at the gpu event. Really... nothing else better to talk about. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Dat BF4 Gameplay was the worst I have ever seen, they need someone who can actually play the game well. But Im also disappointed in the lack of information of the New GPUs :[

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

Waste of time . Nothing on 290X that would make watching be worth something.

Holy crap, BF4 will use up to 8 cores !

sooooooooooooo, who were those telling me that 8 core optimisation isn't going to be a thing?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

sooooooooooooo, who were those telling me that 8 core optimisation isn't going to be a thing?

... Yeah. This will be awesome. :)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Wow amd you wasted 3 hours of peoples time when all they wanted was the price of the one card anyone cares about, and you left them hanging. That gonna leave a good taste in their mouth when it comes time to buy. They really must steal MS PR ideas.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

So... I've been saying that 8 core optimizations are coming for like... the past 9 months, now confirmed !

Really happy with my FX 8320 purchase, payed for it less than an i3 Haswell.

So... I've been saying that 8 core optimizations are coming for like... the past 9 months, now confirmed !

xD I don't even know how long I've been talking to people about 8-core optimisations about all I know is that it's been a long time but no one has been listening to me :/

... Yeah. This will be awesome. :)

:D more performance! hopefully this will drive for 8 core Intel CPUs :3

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

It needs all those eight cores just to tail behind the 4770k.

Mantle sounds pretty nice but I am willing to bet that one of these things will happen:

1) Nobody uses it and it dies out.

2) DirectX and/or OpenGL starts developing very quickly and crushes it in terms of features.

3) It isn't as good as they made it sound and people are disappointed, and it slowly dies out.

Mantle sounds pretty nice but I am willing to bet that one of these things will happen:

2) DirectX and/or OpenGL starts developing very quickly and crushes it in terms of features.

3) It isn't as good as they made it sound and people are disappointed, and it slowly dies out.

or it works and is actually used? I think if EA is willing to gamble on it it's worth it.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

What does 9 times more draw calls per second in the mantle api mean in terms of game performance? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

It sounds like they have quite a few studios on board already.

You mean Microsoft might actually do something with dx3d other than use new versions to push people towards buying the new OS?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It needs all those eight cores just to tail behind the 4770k.

fanboy is obvious - in integer-based operations the 8350 wipes the floor with the 4770k and I cbb to type a wall of text so please read my thread on APUs to know why that's pretty much all that matters.

It literally means 900% the performance according to Raja Koduri, but that just sounds utterly insane.

I don't think it'll scale 100% per extra call but I'm expecting something more like 300% performance increases

It literally means 900% the performance according to Raja Koduri, but that just sounds utterly insane.

Yes i heard him say that but it seemed ridiculous if it is 2* the performance it'll still be good :) :)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Mantle is a direct result of AMD's console wins, without them something like this would have never existed.

So it is basically bringing the low-level hardware access that consoles get (the only reason they stay half-way competitive so far into their lifespan) to the PC?

You know, 900% might not be that far off, I mean look at what they can do with GTA V on 8 year old PS3s, I doubt you'll be able to play it like that on a computer from before the Core2duo days.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

What does 9 times more draw calls per second in the mantle api mean in terms of game performance? 

Impossible to say. If you ask me, the fact that they used such a vague measurement is a warning sign that it might not be all that great.

if the numbers are true (which I highly doubt, press releases are usually lie about numbers) then there is an 800% increase in the number of draw calls that can be made each second. A draw call is when you tell the GPU "hey, render this texture".

Please note that a draw call is not what the GPU actually renders, but rather what it is told to render. So as long as the GPU can't keep up with the workload, it doesn't matter if there was a 10000000% increase in draw calls, it would still only be able to do the same amount of work.

Mantle should (hopefully) have an edge in performance over Direct3D and OpenGL though, since it is lower level.

fanboy is obvious - in integer-based operations the 8350 wipes the floor with the 4770k and I cbb to type a wall of text so please read my thread on APUs to know why that's pretty much all that matters.

Ehhh... What? First of all your APU post is completely irrelevant here. Not sure why you're bringing it up.

Secondly, even in very integer heavy applications the 8350 is on par with the 4770K, it does not wipe the floor with it.

That is actually a very fascinating way to look at it, thank you. I wonder if we will get to the point where we adjust out sound on games similar to our texture/shadow details. 

So as an example maybe, you are picturing a situation where you bang your weapon on a barrel drum and the sound might resonate differently depending on the material your weapon is made of and/or how full the drum is?  So the sound could change according to your situation in a more realistic manor rather than the same thump effect.  Is that sorta what you are talking about?

That's actually a better example than I think I could've come up with, but yeah, that kind of thing. Various kinds of echoes/resonance, along with better directionality (such as altering voices appropriately for people who are in other rooms, behind doors or inside different environments etc.) are the most obvious sorts of implementations, but even something like altering the way things sound when you're underwater I can imagine being done on the GPU.

You know, 900% might not be that far off, I mean look at what they can do with GTA V on 8 year old PS3s, I doubt you'll be able to play it like that on a computer from before the Core2duo days.

That's very true, I hope it's true.

People with APUs will never, ever need to buy graphics cards.