Game starts stuttering after about 20 min of gaming

krex93

Yo,

So long story short, this problem is back again. (please see link; https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/530605-pc-game-starts-stuttering-after-about-40-mins-of-playing/ . This time round I have 32gb 3000MHz RAM. Had to get a new cpu and all that and reinstalled everything and now the problem is back again. Did all the things that was mentioned above, but problem is persisting. New benchmark scores from Unigin are:

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:

Score:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

System

Platform:

Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit

CPU model:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (4007MHz) x4

GPU model:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 10.18.13.6519 (4095MB) x1

Settings

Render:

Direct3D11

Mode:

1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen

Preset

Extreme HD

GPU temps: Max was 77 degrees Celsius. Mainly stayed around 74-75 degrees celcius. I think this was slightly higher then what is was before (by like 1 or 2 degrees), but this time I have rearranged my cooling so can always go back to how it was before)

CPU temps: I monitored using MSI afterburner and they were around the 47 degree mark. I think highest it went to for a few seconds was 51 degrees.

I also observed huge frame rate drops; like from 60+ to <20. Not during the unigine benchmark, but during actually gaming and recording data when this problem came up.

I have pretty much opened my case and reseated the RAM and GPU and checked everything else I could.

I am really at a loss as to what the problem is now. Reinstalled everything after i got the new cpu (same model as the one before, just a new one), reinstalled everything, did fan tuning using AI suite 3 and thats it. NO OC or anything. All BIOS settings are in default. XMP disabled. Can't be the PSU. I forgot how i checked it last time, but concluded that it was not drawing anywhere near the power needed to have the fan on the PSU kick in.

I am thinking of reinstalling the older RAM i had, (which would essentially downgrade back to 16gb total lol), but i don't wanna. Can't be that....

Once this happened in one game after about 20-30 min, any game becomes unplayable. Everything else, videos, word, web browsing is perfect. Just gaming is the problem.

Tried, need for speed, GTA V, The Division, Batman Arkham Knight.

Funny thing is after restarting the computer or waiting a really long time, after reloading into a game, it works perfectly and then after 20 min, the problem arises. It is just another endless loop. I just wanna cry...

Any help would be appreciated.

Also the attached file is the log i recorded after running Prime95 for about 20min (if it helps).

HWMonitor.txt

I had a similar problem, stuttering, frame drops, audio stutter. Would happen about 20-40 min after I started playing. It only happened when I used my Xbox one controller. There was a driver conflict in Windows 10. Had to reroll to an older driver. K&M was never a problem just the controller.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

You have to run Prime95 for several hours to be sure.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Is the game located on your SSD or HDD? This kind of stutter can be related to HDD being at really high usage while gaming (eg. virus scan running or windows updates). With SSD it shouldn't be issue. I would also advice to take a look your pagefile size and increase it for testing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still having this problem? What do you do once the stuttering starts? I might have the same issue.

Wow that previous thread is the same old throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks without trying to actually analyse the cause of the problem as is so common with forum advice, you get what you pay for (the PSU is not the problem!).

You need to plot your FPS, GPU temperature AND clockspeeds, CPU temperature AND clock speeds as well as the drive IO as a minimum. Usually its thermals or throttling of either the GPU or CPU but it can also be IO causing the machine to stutter or something else like going past the VRAM limits of the GPU. So GPU-Z sensors page is a must as is a system temperature monitor tool (like hwmonitor although graphs are better) and you need to line it all up. Something happens when your game starts stuttering and it is going to show up in a system graph somewhere.

It might also be worth using the fraps frametime capture and graphing that out as well for the cross over as it might show you something. Although it should be noted I am not convinced by the game selection, that is a whos who of broken arse games with problems.

Try doing the following as this works for me.

When the stuttering starts, go the the game graphic options and change the screen resolution, then revert back to the original setting. Does the game now run without stuttering? I have this problem where a game runs at 60FPS, then after 40mins suddenly drops to near zero and requires the above solution.

I have changed PSU and GPU, formatted, different OS, nothing works

Every time i restart my computer, it works perfectly for a while, and then back to the stutturing. I check temps, and they are more or less the same as the temps posted in the previous thread. Not higher. I remember using MSI afterburners and running the OSD while gaming and all the temps stayed the same while perfect gaming and stutter gaming, just the FPS changed dramatically (dropped). I will try that changing resolution thing, but I have no clue what it is. I will further monitor using CPUz monitor and post back.

So i uploaded what CPUID HW Monitor reported. From what I saw, temps looked normal.

This is really annoying lol... $3,000 computer and can't even game on it, (which is the main purpose for building it... WTF)

HWMonitor.txt

If this was due to there being a system wide problem, I would notice performance drops or bugs in other tasks right. For example, this only happens when gaming. When I close the game, and do some work, or watch a movie or something, it is perfect.

1 hour ago, krex93 said:

If this was due to there being a system wide problem, I would notice performance drops or bugs in other tasks right. For example, this only happens when gaming. When I close the game, and do some work, or watch a movie or something, it is perfect.

I really would try your older ram... 3000 Mhz is pretty high, and I am not sure if there is thermal issues with it.

7 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

I really would try your older ram... 3000 Mhz is pretty high, and I am not sure if there is thermal issues with it.

The RAM does not run at 3000Mhz though. Each stick runs at 2133Mhz. 

Results from running Unigine Valley

FPS 97.5

Score 4080

Min FPS 31.4

Max FPS 187.1

The OSD in the top right corner of the application read:

Graphics 1506MHz

Memory: 3600MHz

Temperature 73 degrees C.

One questions, for the memory, I have 4 sticks each 8gb. The model of the RAM is G Skill Ripjaws 3000 kit. F4-3000C15-8GVRB.

So i am a bit confused about the 3600MHz. Is that for the actual RAM or something else, because i thought the RAM's max would be 3000MHz for the kit i have. 

1 hour ago, krex93 said:

The RAM does not run at 3000Mhz though. Each stick runs at 2133Mhz. 

Run a intel diagnostics test to make sure your CPU is perfectly fine since you got a new CPU.

If that passes try to put your old ram in. (Gaming performance should barely change) If there is no frame drops then you know where the issue is.

3 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

Run a intel diagnostics test to make sure your CPU is perfectly fine since you got a new CPU.

If that passes try to put your old ram in. (Gaming performance should barely change) If there is no frame drops then you know where the issue is.

ok will do. I will do that and post back with the results. 

Can you try the fix that I suggested? Play a game until the stuttering starts. Then go to the game options and change the resolution to something random, then change the resolution back to what it was set at. Then exit the game settings and see if the gameplay FPS is back to normal?

12 hours ago, krex93 said:

One questions, for the memory, I have 4 sticks each 8gb. The model of the RAM is G Skill Ripjaws 3000 kit. F4-3000C15-8GVRB.

So i am a bit confused about the 3600MHz. Is that for the actual RAM or something else, because i thought the RAM's max would be 3000MHz for the kit i have. 

That's your graphics memory, it runs at 7200mhz

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

7 hours ago, tintin82 said:

Can you try the fix that I suggested? Play a game until the stuttering starts. Then go to the game options and change the resolution to something random, then change the resolution back to what it was set at. Then exit the game settings and see if the gameplay FPS is back to normal?

Yeh i tried it. It made a slight difference in that the audio got a bit better and less stuttering, but overall, was still pretty bad and eventually (a few minutes) went back to the really bad audio and video stuttering. 

5 hours ago, Sharkyx1 said:

That's your graphics memory, it runs at 7200mhz

Graphics 1506MHz

Memory: 3600MHz

That's what it said on the unigine benchmark. So would that mean my gpu is not running at enought mhz and that is why this is happening? 

17 hours ago, Dionyz said:

so i tried this. It passed the test and reinserted my old ram and the problem still came up. 

The 980ti has auto overclocking of the gpu right? Can you disable that at all? Quickly read the previous thread and didnt see anyone suggest that at all...

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

35 minutes ago, BigMic said:

The 980ti has auto overclocking of the gpu right? Can you disable that at all? Quickly read the previous thread and didnt see anyone suggest that at all...

Sounds like something i should try. Would you know how to disable the auto OC. I have no clue. I have not done any OC (that i know of lol). The only programs I have are ai suite 3 and asus gpu tweak, but there aren't options I see there for auto clocking.

I was thinking, could it also have something to do with the voltage of the GPU. 

Not too sure sorry, might be a disable button in nvidia control panel or even one of the overclocking suites like msi afterburner and such.

MSI afterburner I think (recall) overrides the function to allow a constant overclock rather than power saving measures. gpu tweak could have it also.

You could be right about voltage, I've had the pc stutter or the graphics card driver crash when OCing. 

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

4 hours ago, krex93 said:

so i tried this. It passed the test and reinserted my old ram and the problem still came up. 

I am not sure what the issue can be. It's extremely weird.

Here is a thread where a guy gets random lag in game. I am sorry that I wasn't much help.