PC game starts stuttering after about 40 mins of playing

krex93

Hi guys. Been having a problem and need some help.

So just built a pc. Main specs:

i7-6700k

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero motherboard

2x8GB Ram (Ripjaws)

Asus Strix gtx 980 ti (6gb)

500gb ssd and 3tb hdd

Corsair h100i gtx (plugged into w_pmp, cpu_fan and cpu_opt on mobo)

Corsair RM 1000i PSU

Ok, so the problem is after about 30-40 mins of perfect, smooth game play with settings all turned up, the game starts to lag/stutter/freeze and unfreeze, etc. Even with settings turned down it still happens. I have overclocked my cpu (or whatever the Asus 5-way optimization does). I have checked gpu temps (monitored while its been happening) and they are around 68-72 degrees Celsius (are these temps too high or are they normal). It is like this right from the start of playing. So it runs perfectly on these temps, and then all of a sudden becomes annoyingly unplayable. I thought it might be the game, so i changed games and the same result except it is stuttering right from the beginning; no smooth game play at all. So it must be a problem with the pc right, or a setting i have missed. 

I have been guessing that it could be the monitor. I am using my Samsung smart tv when playing games (plugged in via hdmi). In games like GTA V, Assassins Creed Syndicate it comes up with GHz setting, which is set to max (60), but in Batman Arkham knight it doesn't have such a setting. So i assume it runs at 60. But this shouldn't be the issue right. I have a mate who does the same thing with a less powerful rig and gets perfect game play and never have such problems. Could it also be the hdmi cable or something (highly unlikely... just spit balling).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

you went pretty deep into that computer by why only 8 GB of ram? :o Sure most games will run fine on it but that kind of build 16 would have suited you better for these kinds of situations where the amount of ram could be a potential problem. 

Stuttering and stuff might be the TV, Which with that kind of GPU you should probably get a  decent monitor in the first place, no point if that tv is a 1080p TV. 

you went pretty deep into that computer by why only 8 GB of ram? :o Sure most games will run fine on it but that kind of build 16 would have suited you better for these kinds of situations where the amount of ram could be a potential problem. 

Stuttering and stuff might be the TV, Which with that kind of GPU you should probably get a  decent monitor in the first place, no point if that tv is a 1080p TV. 

He has 2 x 8GB of RAM so he has 16 total

Does this issue only occur in games or rather also when you're watching movies or running apps like Adobe?

Hi guys. Been having a problem and need some help.

So just built a pc. Main specs:

i7-6700k

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero motherboard

2x8GB Ram (Ripjaws)

Asus Strix gtx 980 ti (6gb)

500gb ssd and 3tb hdd

Corsair h100i gtx (plugged into w_pmp, cpu_fan and cpu_opt on mobo)

Ok, so the problem is after about 30-40 mins of perfect, smooth game play with settings all turned up, the game starts to lag/stutter/freeze and unfreeze, etc. Even with settings turned down it still happens. I have overclocked my cpu (or whatever the Asus 5-way optimization does). I have checked gpu temps (monitored while its been happening) and they are around 68-72 degrees Celsius (are these temps too high or are they normal). It is like this right from the start of playing. So it runs perfectly on these temps, and then all of a sudden becomes annoyingly unplayable. I thought it might be the game, so i changed games and the same result except it is stuttering right from the beginning; no smooth game play at all. So it must be a problem with the pc right, or a setting i have missed. 

I have been guessing that it could be the monitor. I am using my Samsung smart tv when playing games (plugged in via hdmi). In games like GTA V, Assassins Creed Syndicate it comes up with GHz setting, which is set to max (60), but in Batman Arkham knight it doesn't have such a setting. So i assume it runs at 60. But this shouldn't be the issue right. I have a mate who does the same thing with a less powerful rig and gets perfect game play and never have such problems. Could it also be the hdmi cable or something (highly unlikely... just spit balling).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

First thing you should do is disable any overlocks and test if the issue persists, use MSI after burner or another similar program to log what your pc is doing, Temps, cpu/gpu useage, memory useage ect ect.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Does it happen with every Game or only with Arkham Knight (which is a horrible port)?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I just fixed my friend's PC he had someone else build. The 2x8GB ripjaws RAM sticks weren't in channel 1 on the motherboard and in channel 2 instead. So I'm assuming by not being in the first channel it greatly reduced the performance of the RAM for processes. Switched them to the designated first spot on the motherboard (as it was labelled right beside the slots what channel 1 pair was) and all was fixed. He was having similar problems, all drivers up to date, every game would stutter, all settings were at absolute minimum and still wouldn't change. So I looked into the case and I noticed that. I also undid the GPU and checked all the pins were clear and seated it back in the mobo too. Possibly the problem but I'm only guessing being that it fixed the problem he was having. 

Yeh i get ya. I'll give it a try on my monitor. I haven't played on the monitor because i thought if i can plug it into the tv and play then why not. I'll see how i go. Thanks

He has 2 x 8GB of RAM so he has 16 total

yep. 16GB total.

Does this issue only occur in games or rather also when you're watching movies or running apps like Adobe?

So far, it only occurs when playing games. I watched some youtube clips and videos here a there on using the tv. But mostly just play games on the tv and everything else on the monitor. Have not really watched a full movie to see if it has problems. In terms of apps, whenever the TV is the main monitor, everything works find. Mozilla, chrome, youtube, word and adobe all work fine. Just gaming that is the problem

Does it happen with every Game or only with Arkham Knight (which is a horrible port)?

Happens with every game. I know Arkham knight is a terrible port, but i thought maybe with the GPU i have, i may not have problems. The game runs perfectly with settings maxed. After about 40 min, game starts stuttering and lagging and becomes annoyingly unplayable. I monitored temps and it stayed around the 69 degrees mark. After this happens, i try another game like assassins creed syndicate or GTA V and right from the start it is unplayable. So i am guessing it has to be something with the system. Whether i have missed a setting or not idk.

I just fixed my friend's PC he had someone else build. The 2x8GB ripjaws RAM sticks weren't in channel 1 on the motherboard and in channel 2 instead. So I'm assuming by not being in the first channel it greatly reduced the performance of the RAM for processes. Switched them to the designated first spot on the motherboard (as it was labelled right beside the slots what channel 1 pair was) and all was fixed. He was having similar problems, all drivers up to date, every game would stutter, all settings were at absolute minimum and still wouldn't change. So I looked into the case and I noticed that. I also undid the GPU and checked all the pins were clear and seated it back in the mobo too. Possibly the problem but I'm only guessing being that it fixed the problem he was having. 

Yeh I will take a look at that. I know the ram is seated in the primary channels. Ill take a look at the GPU and make sure everything is seated properly.

Thanks

First thing you should do is disable any overlocks and test if the issue persists, use MSI after burner or another similar program to log what your pc is doing, Temps, cpu/gpu useage, memory useage ect ect.

So with the overclock, I didn't do it directly off the mobo or bios. I did it using Asus's 5-way optimization tool. So to disable an overclock, do i go into the bios and reset everything to optimized defaults or is there another way. 

Thanks for the replies, ill give it a go and report back.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, in my BIOS it has an option to enable xmp profile. Should i use this.

Also, to remove an overclock, do i simply restore the settings in bios to its defaults. 

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, ill give it a go and report back.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, in my BIOS it has an option to enable xmp profile. Should i use this.

Also, to remove an overclock, do i simply restore the settings in bios to its defaults. 

Thanks

Enable xmp profile.

Ok. So an update. I tried all the things you guys said may or may not work and i am sad to report nothing seemed to work. In fact, i got longer smooth game play on my tv than my monitor. It is an old monitor using a dvi connection, but that shouldn't really effect anything right. It is still a full hd monitor. Something else i noticed is that the sound gets choppy as well. Like every few seconds the sound cuts out then comes back. Again monitored temps and they were round 68-72. Highest i think it reached was 72 degrees. 

Guess i need some more help guys. Anything else i can try. This is really annoying. I thought a build like this wouldn't have any issues lol.

you may have a memory leak i had this problem windows was using 4 plus gigs of ram at a time check your usage in task manager

you may have a memory leak i had this problem windows was using 4 plus gigs of ram at a time check your usage in task manager

how do i check for a memory leak. In Task manager what should i look for. I am looking at it now and everything seems ok.

how do i check for a memory leak. In Task manager what should i look for. I am looking at it now and everything seems ok.

any process that's using more memory than say your game like gta v or something intense. go to performance and then look at memory. i use around 3.3 to 3.5 GBs running just chrome and steam

any process that's using more memory than say your game like gta v or something intense. go to performance and then look at memory. i use around 3.3 to 3.5 GBs running just chrome and steam

Ok. so right now i am running steam and chrome and it says 2.5gb in use. 13.3gb available. 12.0 cached. That leads me to another question. Do you know what ram cachiing is. Asus ROG has a program called ROG Ramcache. Where it lets me pick a drive and allocate ram. Minimum is 100MB and max is 13000MB and a button that says start, thats it. Should i be using this. Could this be affecting anything currently. 

Ok. so right now i am running steam and chrome and it says 2.5gb in use. 13.3gb available. 12.0 cached. That leads me to another question. Do you know what ram cachiing is. Asus ROG has a program called ROG Ramcache. Where it lets me pick a drive and allocate ram. Minimum is 100MB and max is 13000MB and a button that says start, thats it. Should i be using this. Could this be affecting anything currently. 

idk. I wouldn't until i know what it is. i think its just more space to put frequent files. like ram but slower. 

ROG would be pointless unless you are using all your ram.

idk. I wouldn't until i know what it is. i think its just more space to put frequent files. like ram but slower. 

ROG would be pointless unless you are using all your ram.

ok. But in terms of memory leak. I don't think i have one. I was getting lower usage than you were running the same applications. This problem is so annoying. I can't play anything for more than like 30 min

This is another question. What about overclocking my gpu. I am pretty sure 5-way optimization software from Asus overclocked my cpu so that's done. But as far as i know, my gpu has been running at default profiles. So after running some benchmarks and possibly increasing the memory and gpu clock, would that possibly help with my problem

This sounds exactly like the problem I had to fix. Sound and video was stuttering and etc. I really think it's your RAM. 2 GB constant usage was also what was reading from task manager when the RAM was in the wrong spot. Only Chrome and Steam were running but at idle not being used, which I think 2GB of RAM was ridiculous for idle usage and it never dipped down either which usually it'll move slightly but it never did. What locations are your DIMM's in? I just want to make sure:) And on your motherboard painted in white or some colour near your DIMM slots is there a diagram showing what slots are channel 1? If show, follow that guide and put your two sticks of RAM in those slots and try it. Let me know what you find!

This sounds exactly like the problem I had to fix. Sound and video was stuttering and etc. I really think it's your RAM. 2 GB constant usage was also what was reading from task manager when the RAM was in the wrong spot. Only Chrome and Steam were running but at idle not being used, which I think 2GB of RAM was ridiculous for idle usage and it never dipped down either which usually it'll move slightly but it never did. What locations are your DIMM's in? I just want to make sure:) And on your motherboard painted in white or some colour near your DIMM slots is there a diagram showing what slots are channel 1? If show, follow that guide and put your two sticks of RAM in those slots and try it. Let me know what you find!