PSU smell?

Emillionaire
Go to solution Solved by Julian5,

Open the case up and leave it outside for a bit

Hi guys, 

so i bought a cheap 600W PSU from somebody i know, (Cooler Master B600 VER.2, 600W)

but i found out that it sligly smells. (no, not because the PSU is a pile of junk and failing.) 

Its the PSU and the PSU cables. I got it used for a pretty good price, and its working great so i dont really want to complain about it to my friend. 
I did not really notice is that often at first, but know the entire case smells abit of it. (not that i smell it away from the case, but i wish it removed.) 

What can i do to get rid of the smell? 
Yeah, its weird i know. 

Yes, the username is cringe. 

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Is the psu new or semi new? 

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

you could try something like Ozium? strong stuff tho.

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

7 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

A fan next to it might help too

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

Spray your deodorant can in it!!

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Spray your deodorant can in it!!

I would never do that XDDD

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

it's probably just the environment it was in.

unless there's some odd behavior,you should be fine.

26 minutes ago, L0gic said:

Hi guys, 

so i bought a cheap 600W PSU from somebody i know, (Cooler Master B600 VER.2, 600W)

but i found out that it sligly smells. (no, not because the PSU is a pile of junk and failing.) 

Its the PSU and the PSU cables. I got it used for a pretty good price, and its working great so i dont really want to complain about it to my friend. 
I did not really notice is that often at first, but know the entire case smells abit of it. (not that i smell it away from the case, but i wish it removed.) 

What can i do to get rid of the smell? 
Yeah, its weird i know. 

I mean, the B600 isn't great but it shouldn't smell? Maybe ask for an RMA?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

30 minutes ago, durpflip said:

it's probably just the environment it was in.

unless there's some odd behavior,you should be fine.

I'm pretty sure that its the environment and not the PSU itself.

41 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

Is the psu new or semi new? 

The PSU is semi-new. But again, its the environment not the PSU itself. 

18 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I mean, the B600 isn't great but it shouldn't smell? Maybe ask for an RMA?

Honestly, i dont want a refund as i got it for a pretty good price as a favor, and returning it now would seem ungrateful, and i would have to invest money in a new psu. :)

Yes, the username is cringe. 

New PSUs should smell some. All of mine I recall smelling. Ahh, how I love that smell. :x

Printed circuit boards, I have read, are sometimes sprayed with some type of chemicals for when they are in the packaging. Apparently this stuff can smell, so it's totally normal. Now, a burning smell is not a good smell, but if it's more of a metallic type of smell that's the good stuff.

Often the manufacturer sprays a conformal coating over the components / PCB to seal out moisture / humidity. This will often emit a sort of chemical smell for a short while in service. As long as it's not a burning smell, or you see smoke, you're fine. It'll go away soon. 

Source of quote: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3000525/power-supply-emitting-weird-smell.html (user techgeek)

21 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

New PSUs should smell some. All of mine I recall smelling. Ahh, how I love that smell. :x

Printed circuit boards, I have read, are sometimes sprayed with some type of chemicals for when they are in the packaging. Apparently this stuff can smell, so it's totally normal. Now, a burning smell is not a good smell, but if it's more of a metallic type of smell that's the good stuff.

Source of quote: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3000525/power-supply-emitting-weird-smell.html (user techgeek)

it's almost like a new rolls royce smell for IT enthusiasts :P