nvidia 1000 series

keiwein2

so for those of you who dont know the nvidia conference for the power of ten is going down at 6PM PDT, this will likely be the 1000 series GPUs being announced, probably the 1080 and 1070. What do you guys think? from leaked performance benchmarks the 1080 can run stable at over 1800 mghz! and has the performance of a 980ti (in fact just over).

http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks

new cooler looks kewl but i really dont see it as very practical being that it looks like petrudes slightly over the 2 pcie limit, so SLIing these one on top of the other might pose a heat problem being that the fan might be pulling a little bit of hot air from the other GPU.

im sad because i just dumped a shit load of money on a 980ti and i havent had alot of time  with it ;(

They look pretty awesome, though I'm probably going to wait for aftermarket cards to come out before I actually buy one, even though I could definitely use an upgrade from my sad little 760. Performance should be pretty awesome but I wouldn't worry about your 980 Ti, that'll be perfectly relevant and you won't really need an upgrade just cause the new generation's dropping :D

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

They look pretty awesome, though I'm probably going to wait for aftermarket cards to come out before I actually buy one, even though I could definitely use an upgrade from my sad little 760. Performance should be pretty awesome but I wouldn't worry about your 980 Ti, that'll be perfectly relevant and you won't really need an upgrade just cause the new generation's dropping :D

Ohey, we will be upgrading from the same card :3 I cant wait to see what Gigabyte or EVGA is gonna come out with, though I'll be waiting for the 1080ti

Moist

8 minutes ago, keiwein2 said:

so for those of you who dont know the nvidia conference for the power of ten is going down at 6PM PDT, this will likely be the 1000 series GPUs being announced, probably the 1080 and 1070. What do you guys think? from leaked performance benchmarks the 1080 can run stable at over 1800 mghz! and has the performance of a 980ti (in fact just over).

http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks

new cooler looks kewl but i really dont see it as very practical being that it looks like petrudes slightly over the 2 pcie limit, so SLIing these one on top of the other might pose a heat problem being that the fan might be pulling a little bit of hot air from the other GPU.

im sad because i just dumped a shit load of money on a 980ti and i havent had alot of time  with it ;(

It's like 26% above the reference 980 Ti. Of course that will really suck if that is the score of a 1080 pushed to its limits, considering that score is in OC 980 Ti territory.

i really would love to see the overclocking on these beasts being that they are really efficient. i would love to see people get it up 2 2000 mghz

2 minutes ago, Kenji the Uke said:

Ohey, we will be upgrading from the same card :3 I cant wait to see what Gigabyte or EVGA is gonna come out with, though I'll be waiting for the 1080ti

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It's like 26% above the reference 980 Ti. Of course that will really suck if that is the score of a 1080 pushed to its limits, considering that score is in OC 980 Ti territory.

i really doubt that the 1080 in the benchmark isnt OCed being that it is running at 1860 mghz so i really dont know why im worried, maybe because im insecure LOL

2 minutes ago, keiwein2 said:

i really doubt that the 1080 in the benchmark isnt OCed being that it is running at 1860 mghz so i really dont know why im worried, maybe because im insecure LOL

Well if the 28nm which is a VERY old manufacturing tech did 1200Mhz, why not 1900+ Mhz on 16nm?  

1 minute ago, lukart said:

Well if the 28nm which is a VERY old manufacturing tech did 1200Mhz, why not 1900+ Mhz on 16nm?  

No idea how micro architectures actually work, but this seems like it would be the case. 

The lower manufacturing process you go ( size of each transistor gets smaller)  the faster you can run that transistor with the same amount of power... 

Basically thats how it works in a very simplistic way.  

2 minutes ago, lukart said:

The lower manufacturing process you go ( size of each transistor gets smaller)  the faster you can run that transistor with the same amount of power... 

Basically thats how it works in a very simplistic way.  

Okay, so would it theoretically scale at a 1:1 ratio, meaning that since they're almost halving the process they can almost double the speed with the same amount of power?

26 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Okay, so would it theoretically scale at a 1:1 ratio, meaning that since they're almost halving the process they can almost double the speed with the same amount of power?

For example previously, AMD had claimed that it would deliver a 2x performance-per-watt improvement with Polaris as compared with its 28nm-class hardware. Now, the company has bumped that prediction to 2.5x improved performance-per-watt. you should keep in mind that like all metrics, performance-per-watt is not an absolute. Because silicon power consumption is not a simple linear curve, these figures are likely best-case estimates based on midrange hardware, not the worst-case scenario when comparing top-end parts clocked at maximum frequency. Even so, a 2.5x efficiency bump is a noteworthy generational leap.

Also there are deep architecture changes, to how the GPU will process the information that also makes it more efficient. 

i really want to see the new technologies they are gonna have as well, im kind of sad that the new titan probably wont be released for a little while being that the gp 101- gp103 hasnt really even been heard of yet, its only gp 100 and 104

CAn we just jope for a competitive gen this time around? I mean AMD last six months have been good to them (partly because DX 12) but they kinda need a boost in popularity to stay relevant, which is beneficial to all of us.

Just now, Flowey said:

CAn we just jope for a competitive gen this time around? I mean AMD last six months have been good to them (partly because DX 12) but they kinda need a boost in popularity to stay relevant, which is beneficial to all of us.

yeah, i really hope they make a really good new core, i think polaris is in fact. i just want competition, that would be the best for all gamers and performance enthusiasts

17 minutes ago, keiwein2 said:

yeah, i really hope they make a really good new core, i think polaris is in fact. i just want competition, that would be the best for all gamers and performance enthusiasts

Polaris won't be shite, VEGA I have hopes for tho. Basically from what I've red, so that's IMO, Pascal is aimed at high end gaming, while polaris10/11 isn't. But VEGA, realesing in the fourth quarter of 2016, will be. So to be honest I think that's why we dn't have a lot of 489/490 specs leaks and shite, because the leaks we have are not related to the 480/490

Check out the stream at Twitch.tv/nvidia

Its automatic, just press this button!

I'm having a nerdgasm atm...

I'm buying it right when it comes out, maybe the 1070 if it's gud

3 minutes ago, panzerK said:

What do you guys think? Any guesses on pricing? Any of you thinking of buying it?

649$ is my guess...and no i don,t need/want one :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

Check out the stream at Twitch.tv/nvidia

Luke is also livestreaming from twitch.tv/linustech ;)

Almost as cool as my temps  

im probably going to get the 1070 or maby the 1080 will just ditch sli'ing for a bit  just for shits and giggles since its going to only cost me a replacement plan fee from MC. really hope that the leaked 1080 is not OC'd since then its going to be a great line of cards . time to see if the do not touch boxes show up at MC where i am  i will try to sneak a peak like for the 900's then i know its soon the release xD

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

6 minutes ago, panzerK said:

NVidia's new top-line GPU confirmed as GTX 1080!

So excited!

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia

What do you guys think? Any guesses on pricing? Any of you thinking of buying it?

Only just got my 980 ti. Handles all my gaming needs.

"The 1080 is faster than 980SLI" "The 1080 is also faster than a Titan X" - CEO of Nvidia because I can't spell his name.

The 1080 runs over 2GHz. Sweet baby Jebus!