PWM or DC

mdeze

My setup

PCPARTPICKER:http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mdeze/saved/rrXxFT

I just set this up yesterday and during the first boot, I forgot what the initial Q-fan setings were. PWM or DC? Which setting is more efficient? Thanks

Also I had to in tall my gpu in the 2nd PCIE×16 slot instead of the first one because I have a wireless network card installed in the middle of the two which didn't give enough room for graphic card to be placed abover it. (I want the computer to be wireless, mobo has only one network card slot and 3 PCIE×16 slots). Now my question is, is it going to be an issue since my gpu is not in the first pcie×16 slot? The network card is right next to gpu (above the solid plate, opposite of the fans), is it going to get too hot?

10 minutes ago, mdeze said:

PWM or DC?

if your fans are 3 pin, DC. if your fans are 4 pin, PWM

you can configure each header individually depending on what fan is plugged in

if you want an efficient computer, use fan xpert and turn off the fans when not needed (low load and what not)

12 minutes ago, mdeze said:

Now my question is, is it going to be an issue since my gpu is not in the first pcie×16 slot? The network card is right next to gpu (above the solid plate, opposite of the fans), is it going to get too hot?

no and most probably no

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

15 minutes ago, mdeze said:

My setup

PCPARTPICKER:http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mdeze/saved/rrXxFT

I just set this up yesterday and during the first boot, I forgot what the initial Q-fan setings were. PWM or DC? Which setting is more efficient? Thanks

Also I had to in tall my gpu in the 2nd PCIE×16 slot instead of the first one because I have a wireless network card installed in the middle of the two which didn't give enough room for graphic card to be placed abover it. (I want the computer to be wireless, mobo has only one network card slot and 3 PCIE×16 slots). Now my question is, is it going to be an issue since my gpu is not in the first pcie×16 slot? The network card is right next to gpu (above the solid plate, opposite of the fans), is it going to get too hot?

You won't have GPU issues because of that.

On a side note, I would strongly suggest you do NOT overclock ANYTHING on that PSU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

PWM is better. If you lower the speed via DC, it'll also lower the torque of the fan. And PWM is better at maintaining a specific speed. You can think of the PWM as a cruise control and DC as simply holding the gas pedal at a specific spot.

Why not put the wireless card in the topmost slot above the first PCI-Ex16? That's what the solo PCI-Ex1 is there for. So that the antennas won't be in the way of the display connectors. But your way probably works just fine. The fact that the second PCI-Ex16 is actually wired to PCI-Ex8 won't matter. Just so you know, you can also put the PCI-Ex1 card in the PCI-Ex16 slots.

Why did you go for a PCI WiFi card instead of a PCIe one?

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

if your fans are 3 pin, DC. if your fans are 4 pin, PWM

you can configure each header individually depending on what fan is plugged in

if you want an efficient computer, use fan xpert and turn off the fans when not needed (low load and what not)

no and most probably no

Thanks, it's a 4 pin

1 hour ago, don_svetlio said:

You won't have GPU issues because of that.

On a side note, I would strongly suggest you do NOT overclock ANYTHING on that PSU

Got it, I won't over clock it. If I want to though in the future what PSU should I pick up?

1 hour ago, Naeaes said:

PWM is better. If you lower the speed via DC, it'll also lower the torque of the fan. And PWM is better at maintaining a specific speed. You can think of the PWM as a cruise control and DC as simply holding the gas pedal at a specific spot.

Why not put the wireless card in the topmost slot above the first PCI-Ex16? That's what the solo PCI-Ex1 is there for. So that the antennas won't be in the way of the display connectors. But your way probably works just fine. The fact that the second PCI-Ex16 is actually wired to PCI-Ex8 won't matter. Just so you know, you can also put the PCI-Ex1 card in the PCI-Ex16 slots.

I only have 1 pci-ex1 slot and thas between the top 2 pci-ex16. And I didn't know that (this was my first build). ThanKS I'll probably move the network card to a pcie-ex16. 

1 hour ago, Snooli said:

Why did you go for a PCI WiFi card instead of a PCIe one?

I didn't know there were two difderent kinds. Is that better? I just got what they told would work best for my system.

On a different note, the 3 fans of the case and the cpu fan all seem to work just fine. But I can only see the cpu fan's stats in the settings. Is there a way to show the other three that came with the case?

Got it, I won't over clock it. If I want to though in the future what PSU should I pick up?

EVGAs are usually very cheap for what quality they bring.

I only have 1 pci-ex1 slot and thas between the top 2 pci-ex16. And I didn't know that (this was my first build). ThanKS I'll probably move the network card to a pcie-ex16.

PCI and PCIe aren't compatible. If you're lucky, they won't even fit into each other.

I didn't know there were two difderent kinds. Is that better? I just got what they told would work best for my system.

PCI is old and not used anymore. It is still included on boards for legacy support, but should be avoided these days. There is no need to buy a new card if that's what you're worried about.

8 minutes ago, Snooli said:

EVGAs are usually very cheap for what quality they bring.

PCI and PCIe aren't compatible. If you're lucky, they won't even fit into each other.

PCI is old and not used anymore. It is still included on boards for legacy support, but should be avoided these days. There is no need to buy a new card if that's what you're worried about.

Around what wattage should the psu to be able to sustain the overclock procedure? And is there a way I can just set it to automatically overclock when required? 

I see cause I did try to fit it in the pciex16 slot yesterday and it didn't go in, I thought I wasn't pushing hard enough haha. 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, mdeze said:

Around what wattage should the psu to be able to sustain the overclock procedure? And is there a way I can just set it to automatically overclock when required?

550W for single GPU (unless it's a 980ti/390) but 600w to be safe. It is more important for it to have most of it's power on 12V and to actually be decent.

There are some programs that try to auto OC, but I would never recomend them. (they tend to result in too high voltages for clock)

Linus made a video on how to OC Skylake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjIweExETlI

58 minutes ago, Snooli said:

550W for single GPU (unless it's a 980ti/390) but 600w to be safe. It is more important for it to have most of it's power on 12V and to actually be decent.

There are some programs that try to auto OC, but I would never recomend them. (they tend to result in too high voltages for clock)

Linus made a video on how to OC Skylake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjIweExETlI

Oh okay. So since my current power supply is 650W, so that's enough but I have to get one from a better brand. I see. Could you recommend some makes that are able to support that then?

Also if auto overclock is a bad choice then I won't do it atleast for a while until I figure out all the details and do all the research. Thanks 

11 minutes ago, mdeze said:

Oh okay. So since my current power supply is 650W, so that's enough but I have to get one from a better brand. I see. Could you recommend some makes that are able to support that then?

Also if auto overclock is a bad choice then I won't do it atleast for a while until I figure out all the details and do all the research. Thanks 

Actually that PSU is sorta decent. I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Anyway, have you looked at Linus' video?

On 26/04/2016 at 1:56 PM, Snooli said:

Actually that PSU is sorta decent. I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Anyway, have you looked at Linus' video?

Hey yeah I saw that video. And yeah I have the same bios as the one he showed with the ez tuning option.  And if i do enable it, it overclocks my cpu to 4.1 ghz which is pretty good but I wont do that until I absolutely need it.