Is a 5 kg laptop (10 pounds) bad for travling ?

Hey , 

i was looking at a laptop that is seriously amazing and proably a pc rig in it self. and it ways 5 kg !!

and i was asking you guys if it would be hard for me to carry around too much which i will be doing , i travel. A LOT. and if i'm not travling i would take this laptop all over the house and taking this laptop in my backbag to play with friends and such.

will a 5 kg laptop be too much for all of this ? or just scrfice peformence for a portable laptop ? i really don't know !

hope any one help ....

thanks any ways guys :D 

In a rucksack 5KG really isn't that much. Unless you're a child or a stick insect you'll be fine.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, DebatED Nothing said:

In a rucksack 5KG really isn't that much. Unless you're a child or a stick insect you'll be fine.

did you  tried ever carring an 5k of anything /?

Just now, aDham_zO said:

did you  tried ever carring an 5k of anything /?

I regularly carry a saxophone in a heavy duty case with sheet music around on my back. Really not that bad.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

11lbs actually, but it depends on who you are, pulling dexter couldn't carry it but a body builder wouldn't notice it. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

If you don't mind carrying couple of bricks weigh worth of hardware and don't want to give up on half of the things on your carry-on then it will be fine :D But seriously, laptop alone would be almost nothing. And give it a try, take it with you couple of times.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

if you fly a lot with it and don´t take it with you in your hand carry things, it would be pretty bad xD

Thats not really portable. My old was about 3.5 kg and it was annoying to carry in backpack.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well, I wouldn't carry 5 kilos in my bag, my 2.5 kilo laptop plus it's massive (in terms of size) 180W power supply can kill my back like 10 times a day. By the way, what laptop are you looking at?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

• 1 month later...
On 26/03/2016 at 6:21 AM, exercutor5 said:

Well, I wouldn't carry 5 kilos in my bag, my 2.5 kilo laptop plus it's massive (in terms of size) 180W power supply can kill my back like 10 times a day. By the way, what laptop are you looking at?

sorry for the late replay.

It's the sager np-9870-G

If its the only thing in your bag, go for it... but I look at it as an additional 5kg as I always have a bunch of other stuff in my bag.

Back when I did a lot of traveling I originally had a 15" run of the mill computer with the extended battery and when it finally died I bought one of the smallest computers I could find at BestBuy at the time, a HP TX2, and it was a noticeable difference and ever since I've bought small laptops. Now if you NEED the performance of the Sager, then its not like you have a choice and just have to deal with it... but if you are questioning it I'm willing to bet you don't need that high end of a computer.

Long term weight in a backpack can really mess up the back, if its for getting into a hotel quick its fine, but I had to hike with mine so every ounce lost helped.

I've carried 3kg and that's fine so 5kg MIGHT be a bit annoying but nothing impossible to lug around

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

That is too much to be carrying around for a laptop, waaay too much. 

I used to carry my 3kg laptop around last year (to uni and back) and it gets quite annoying. (I am no stick man I weigh 95kg and am 1.85cm, and work out!) 

Its not just the weight its the bulk of the thing as well, the weight will not be managed that well in a typical laptop backpack and can easily get annoying. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

I think a laptop should be 2kg or less when you need it on the go, because most times it's not only the laptop that is going to be in your backpack.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 3/25/2016 at 3:53 PM, aDham_zO said:

Until recently my backpack was roughly 37lb, or 16.8kg. It really all comes down to who you are. We can't really tell you whether or not carrying around 5k will be annoying for you.

To me it is a pain especially when working 5kg is hefty and sometimes can be tiring so at least get something that is 2kg to 3kg (depending on how heavy it is) which is less hefty  
I bought an asus k501UX recently and so far it is portable to carry around weighs around 2kg without the charger 

And some that are less than 2kg

I have an older digital storm laptop that is about the same size and have flown with and deployed with it. It can be a pain at times because of its physical size but the weight never really bothered me.