970 or 960?

bugs399

The 970 seems ideal but is expensive (maybe I don't need the windforce one) but the 970 seems like it's on the pricey side. The 960 seems good though but i'm not sure.

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

The 970 seems ideal but is expensive (maybe I don't need the windforce one) but the 970 seems like it's on the pricy side.

no not really it is very good for 1440P but a R9 390 would be better, 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

no not really it is very good for 1440P but a R9 390 would be better, 

What about PhysX and all of that stuff.

Just now, bugs399 said:

Few games use PhysX. Between the 390 and the 970 get whichever is cheaper.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Just now, bugs399 said:

What resolution do you play at? Also, those features are not worth it.

Just now, awesomeness10120 said:

I play at 1080p for now but might get a 144hz or 4k monitor

3 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

PhysX is a bad example. Take it from someone who has a dedicated PhysX card: It makes no difference.
There are like, ten, maybe twenty games period that make notable use of hardware PhysX.

Most of the special features on Nvidia's side come with Shadowplay and Gamestream. If you won't use those, they don't matter. If you would, then they only matter however much you happen to care about them.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, bugs399 said:

I play at 1080p for now but might get a 144hz or 4k monitor

Ok, for 4K, get a 390. For 144Hz 1080p both a 390 or a 970 are excellent options.

1 minute ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Ok, for 4K, get a 390. For 144Hz 1080p both a 390 or a 970 are excellent options.

3 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Also I apparently need a CPU cooler for Skylake processors?

Just now, bugs399 said:

Also I apparently need a CPU cooler for Skylake processors?

Only the 6600k or the 6700k. Everything else comes with a cooler.(just not the best one)

1 minute ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Only the 6600k or the 6700k. Everything else comes with a cooler.(just not the best one)

Ok then, should I get a budget $20 cooler or go with stock

Here I come to tell you to wait for Pascal/Polaris!

I would get the 960 if you must have something now, so you can buy at least a 970 tier P/P card. 

Plan to upgrade because the thirst for power is unquenchable. 

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

Ok then, should I get a budget $20 cooler or go with stock

$20 cooler? I don't think it would be any different.

Just now, DaltonM said:

I would get the 960 if you must have something now, so you can buy at least a 970 tier P/P card. 

This can not wait, my current pc has an i5-760 and a Radeon HD 5450

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

We don't even have an official hint on the release of either architecture at the moment. If we always wait for the next big thing, we'll always be waiting.

4 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

We don't even have an official hint on the release of either architecture at the moment. If we always wait for the next big thing, we'll always be waiting.

Normally that argument would be correct, but in this case it's special because it's change the nm process and most likely VRAM. If this had happend for the past 3 years  there would be no reason to wait. But this change has been kind of a long time coming so it's worth the wait if you're buying a GPU in the  same year. 

Just now, DaltonM said:

Normally that argument would be correct, but in this case it's special because it's change the nm process and most likely VRAM. If this had happend for the past 3 years  there would be no reason to wait. But this change has been kind of a long time coming so it's worth the wait if you're buying a GPU in the  same year. 

I don't care if they're switching from silicon to ground up unicorn horns, it's insane to just wait for a GPU that we've heard almost nothing about so far. Yes, it will come this year, but we have no idea when. Could be a month from now, could be in December. We know nothing.

And it's not like buying a GPU now means giving up a later Pascal chip anyway, there's a reason flipping cards is a thing.

I play at not-quite 1080p at the moment and thanks to a Christmas deal was able to get a 970 for relatively cheap. I don't have a 960 to compare it to other than on paper, but it's been great to me so far.

Before this I had an AMD 7970 (two actually, in crossfire). I don't see myself switching back any time soon, but that's a separate topic; I'm sure a 390 or 390x would be another step up for me if I wanted it.

But yeah, I definitely recommend the 970. Whether it's been Fallout 4 or Witcher 3 or Dying Light the last couple days, playing at max settings (ish) with smooth 60fps has been great.

If you want 970 performance for just above 960 money, I will say my recommendation of used r9 290 once again, used r9 290s are the king of bang for the buck mid-high end graphics cards at the moment, just find one that wasn't used for mining. You can find decent ones for under 200 bucks, they are especially good since the gpus in AMD cards haven't really changed in the past two generations.

Get a 390 + a decent monitor with Freesync like the XL2730z or the Asus MG279Q if you want IPS. (Might also consider the Acer XF270HU)

Freesync/G-Sync is too good to cheap out on, especially paired with a 390/970. It basically makes games rendered at 60FPS feel like 100FPS+.

Spoiler

i7 5820k @4.6Ghz (1.3V) // Asus X99 Sabertooth // Sapphire R9 390 Nitro (1120Mhz/1700Mhz) // 16GB DDR4 // BenQ Xl2730z for dat Freesync mhmhmhmh

I have a 390 and wish I got the 970.

However, I do see vram usage up to 4.5 gigs.. 

6 hours ago, Alexokan said:

I have a 390 and wish I got the 970.

However, I do see vram usage up to 4.5 gigs.. 

Why so?

1 minute ago, Totalimus said:

Why so?

970 has less driver overhead and performs better in the games I specifically play.

I still love the 390, but think I'd be happier with the 970. Grass is always greener?