EK custom loop filling question

I've just completed my first fully custom watercooling loop that includes GPUs with all EK parts.  I'm at the point where I need to run the pump, fill the reservoir and repeat.  I've done this part in the past with a pump that had a female molex cable attached to the pump(so it can be powered without running the processor).  I already have the 24pin bypass connected and can get the PSU running without all the other components plugged in.

Now this time around the pump(EK XRES DDC 3.2 PWM) does not have a female molex connected to it, just a female 4pin ATX fan cable.  How am I supposed to  power the pump while bypassing the motherboard?  I have already ordered a female molex to male 4pin ATX fan cable to get the job done.

I guess my real question is, does EK really not include this cord with the pump/res?  The instructions are kind of unclear, but seem to show that either the cord is permanently connected to the pump or is included.  Maybe there's another way and I'm going about this wrong.  If anyone has any information/experience pertaining to this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

TidaLWaveZ

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

what`s wrong with turning it on and off? CPU won`t heat up that much in a limited amount of time, worry more about running your pump dry

to game or not to game, that`s the question

2 minutes ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

what`s wrong with turning it on and off? CPU won`t heat up that much in a limited amount of time, worry more about running your pump dry

I don't know and that's what makes me fear trying it unfortunately.  The cord I ordered will be here tomorrow, so I can wait.  I just don't understand how every product picture I see(including the one in the instructions included in the pumps box) has the molex cable coming straight off the pump and mine just doesn't have it.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

The cord is also not labeled in the "Things you'll need" section in the instructions either.

berg adapter.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

8 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

berg adapter.

That's what I've already ordered.

I'm just confused because EK show's it being connected to the pump or included with the pump, and mine was definitely missing this part.

7 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

That's what I've already ordered.

I'm just confused because EK show's it being connected to the pump or included with the pump, and mine was definitely missing this part.

It should include one (at least my ek d5 pwm combo did). I would contact EK to make sure your part isn't defective.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

It should include one (at least my ek d5 pwm combo did). I would contact EK to make sure your part isn't defective.

Still waiting on a reply, that's why I thought I would ask here.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Still waiting on a reply, that's why I thought I would ask here.

I mean the ek documentation says it should exist.

@EK Luc

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean the ek documentation says it should exist.

@EK Luc

I know, it actually instructs you to use it.

I've been driving myself insane all weekend trying to figure this out.  I've stared at the side of the pump with the PWM cables coming out and I'm sure there's no spot where more cable could have been coming out, so the only thing I can assume is that it uses the adaptor from PWM to molex.  If that is the case, still the adaptor was not included.

4 hours ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

the loop hasn't been leak tested, if it were to spring a leak on the components with the pc ON then it'd be catastrophic.  With the pc off you can usually just dry things thoroughly and they'll be good to go. 24 hrs of running without leaks is recommended before actually turning the pc on

@TidaLWaveZ

Sorry to hear that you are missing that critical adapter :/  I really hate having to wait to finish things up!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 hour ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

the loop hasn't been leak tested, if it were to spring a leak on the components with the pc ON then it'd be catastrophic.  With the pc off you can usually just dry things thoroughly and they'll be good to go. 24 hrs of running without leaks is recommended before actually turning the pc on

@TidaLWaveZ

Sorry to hear that you are missing that critical adapter :/  I really hate having to wait to finish things up!

Yeah, with the total price tag on the loop and PC together I wasn't about to risk straying from the instructions and my personal experience/knowledge.

Even though I'm so ready to get this going, I can wait another day, that's fine.  What's driving me crazy, is trying to figure out what happened to the adapter. I know it's a possibility it wasn't packaged, but I've never seen that before(except the time best buy sold me an empty box).  The box was closed with EK stickers intact, so I don't think it was tampered with.  It's not a big deal but mysteries like this drive to the brink of insanity.

47 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yeah, with the total price tag on the loop and PC together I wasn't about to risk straying from the instructions and my personal experience/knowledge.

Even though I'm so ready to get this going, I can wait another day, that's fine.  What's driving me crazy, is trying to figure out what happened to the adapter. I know it's a possibility it wasn't packaged, but I've never seen that before(except the time best buy sold me an empty box).  The box was closed with EK stickers intact, so I don't think it was tampered with.  It's not a big deal but mysteries like this drive to the brink of insanity.

yeah I could definitely see that. 

I was looking at the data for the EK XRES DDC 3.2 PWM on EK's website and everything I can find says it is an 18w pump and they all have molex connectors as well as a 4pin PWM.

Also 18w is 1.5A at 12v which is beyond what most motherboard headers are rated for

Can you post pictures of everything coming out of the pump? also where did you buy it out of curiosity?

Something isn't adding up here

edit: oh and are there 4 wires going to the 4pin fan connector or just a blue and green?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

39 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

yeah I could definitely see that. 

I was looking at the data for the EK XRES DDC 3.2 PWM on EK's website and everything I can find says it is an 18w pump and they all have molex connectors as well as a 4pin PWM.

Also 18w is 1.5A at 12v which is beyond what most motherboard headers are rated for

Can you post pictures of everything coming out of the pump? also where did you buy it out of curiosity?

Something isn't adding up here

edit: oh and are there 4 wires going to the 4pin fan connector or just a blue and green?

After browsing around EKs website I noticed they had a normal, elite, and MX version of this pump/res.  I checked the box and my online order to confirm the version I had.  Both the order and the box are for the MX version, so I got the one I ordered (performance-PCs.com).

The way the pump/res is mounted in the case, I can't really take a picture of the side with the 4pin pwm (loop is half full). I can however assure you that only a black pwm 4 pin is coming out of the side and there's absolutely no place where other wires could have been coming from.

Best picture I could get.

IMG_20160208_224915.jpg

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

After browsing around EKs website I noticed they had a normal, elite, and MX version of this pump/res.  I checked the box and my online order to confirm the version I had.  Both the order and the box are for the MX version, so I got the one I ordered (performance-PCs.com).

The way the pump/res is mounted in the case, I can't really take a picture of the side with the 4pin pwm (loop is half full). I can however assure you that only a black pwm 4 pin is coming out of the side and there's absolutely no place where other wires could have been coming from.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-xres-100-ddc-mx-3-2-pwm-incl-pump.html

this one right?

I dont get why your's has a single 4pin, as far as I can tell it should have a molex for power and 4 pin PWM for control.  I had the 3.1 version of the mx and it did, maybe they changed it on the 3.2 and didn't take new photo's for it, or change the instructions.  That is pretty crappy. I don't see anything about including a molex-4pin adapter on EK's site or ppcs. Would've been nice if they'd let you know what kind of electrical connectors you are going to be receiving so you can plan accordingly.

BUT I bet they sent you that hex key!

I've got a dozen or so molex to 3 pin fan but I'm not entirely sure if I ever got a molex to 4 pin.  I'm pretty sure that I did rip the side out of one of the 3 pin ones to run a fan while I was leak testing.  Worked fine for that if you have any of those laying around, it may be worth a shot

Luc will probably get in here soon

16 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I've just completed my first fully custom watercooling loop that includes GPUs with all EK parts.  I'm at the point where I need to run the pump, fill the reservoir and repeat.  I've done this part in the past with a pump that had a female molex cable attached to the pump(so it can be powered without running the processor).  I already have the 24pin bypass connected and can get the PSU running without all the other components plugged in.

Now this time around the pump(EK XRES DDC 3.2 PWM) does not have a female molex connected to it, just a female 4pin ATX fan cable.  How am I supposed to  power the pump while bypassing the motherboard?  I have already ordered a female molex to male 4pin ATX fan cable to get the job done.

I guess my real question is, does EK really not include this cord with the pump/res?  The instructions are kind of unclear, but seem to show that either the cord is permanently connected to the pump or is included.  Maybe there's another way and I'm going about this wrong.  If anyone has any information/experience pertaining to this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

TidaLWaveZ

Hi,

I'm as surprised as you are regarding your pump.

So there's only one wire that goes out of the pump body and it's a 4pin fan connector with 4 wires connected to it?

8 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

this one right?

I dont get why your's has a single 4pin, as far as I can tell it should have a molex for power and 4 pin PWM for control.  I had the 3.1 version of the mx and it did, maybe they changed it on the 3.2 and didn't take new photo's for it, or change the instructions.  That is pretty crappy. I don't see anything about including a molex-4pin adapter on EK's site or ppcs. Would've been nice if they'd let you know what kind of electrical connectors you are going to be receiving so you can plan accordingly.

BUT I bet they sent you that hex key!

I've got a dozen or so molex to 3 pin fan but I'm not entirely sure if I ever got a molex to 4 pin.  I'm pretty sure that I did rip the side out of one of the 3 pin ones to run a fan while I was leak testing.  Worked fine for that if you have any of those laying around, it may be worth a shot

Luc will probably get in here soon

Hopefully this phobya adapter(http://www.amazon.com/Phobya-Adapter-4Pin-Molex-30cm/dp/B004X2XBMA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455021551&sr=8-2&keywords=molex+to+4pin) that's coming today will get everything up and running.

It would still be awesome to figure something out about this.  The situation is strange and with my experience with EK products I would consider this out of the ordinary because I've got a bunch of their stuff and it all has come with more than you need.

1 hour ago, EK Luc said:

Hi,

I'm as surprised as you are regarding your pump.

So there's only one wire that goes out of the pump body and it's a 4pin fan connector with 4 wires connected to it?

Yes, only the four connected black wires.  I know the picture isn't the greatest, it's extremely hard to fit my phone into the case at that spot, but that black pwm wire is the only one.

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yes, only the four connected black wires.  I know the picture isn't the greatest, it's extremely hard to fit my phone into the case at that spot, but that black pwm wire is the only one.

I will try to know more about this with the guys at the HQ.

Can you link me the exact product you bought...a link from performance-PCs or the EK webshop will do.

1 hour ago, EK Luc said:

I will try to know more about this with the guys at the HQ.

Can you link me the exact product you bought...a link from performance-PCs or the EK webshop will do.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-ddc-mx-3-2-pwm-incl-pump-1

Seems like you're missing a cable there.. Mine has the PWM wire + Molex power connector so I think you received a faulty one :)

35 minutes ago, HairyMandem said:

Seems like you're missing a cable there.. Mine has the PWM wire + Molex power connector so I think you received a faulty one :)

I'm inclined to think that also, but what has me confused is that there's just no place on the pump where the molex would come out of.  No holes, no missing gap in the plastic, it's just a completely flat surface.  I feel like I'm in an episode of the twilight zone.

Just now, EK Luc said:

Thanks, I've sent my question and should have an answer tomorrow morning.

I will let you know

I appreciate you looking into it.  You don't happen to know off hand if the pump can be solely powered by PWM from the motherboard?  If that's the case then after my leak test I should be gold.

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm inclined to think that also... ~snip~...I feel like I'm in an episode of the twilight zone.

I just re-read what exact item you have and gotta apologize for mixing up with the one that I have, which is the Elite one instead of the MX.

Hope you'll get your answer soon!