EK custom loop filling question

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I appreciate you looking into it.  You don't happen to know off hand if the pump can be solely powered by PWM from the motherboard?  If that's the case then after my leak test I should be gold.

Is there a wattage listed on the label on the pump (that is probably inconveniently located in your case)?  I can't find it on EK or ppcs.

12w @ 12v =1 amp so if it is higher than 12w it may cause problems for your mobo header (ie: burning it up) if it is 12w or less it should be OK.

I know some are 18w but my MX 3.1 was only 6w.  

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

oh and I just saw this on ppcs 

" The core of the unit is the market-proven EK-DDC 3.2 PWM water pump (4-pin PWM FAN header). This unit offers increased hydraulic performance (up to 15 %) compared to original factory top. "

it's not very clearly stated but perhaps it is only supposed to come with the 4pin cable and no molex, I still would really like to see proper pictures on the store sites and the information provided in a clearer fashion though. 

Before, I was kinda thinking that maybe you got a counterfeit or something but I doubt that is the case

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

3 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

oh and I just saw this on ppcs 

" The core of the unit is the market-proven EK-DDC 3.2 PWM water pump (4-pin PWM FAN header). This unit offers increased hydraulic performance (up to 15 %) compared to original factory top. "

it's not very clearly stated but perhaps it is only supposed to come with the 4pin cable and no molex, I still would really like to see proper pictures on the store sites and the information provided in a clearer fashion though. 

Before, I was kinda thinking that maybe you got a counterfeit or something but I doubt that is the case

Yeah, it would be a nice touch to include an extra picture on the website and in the instructions that shows the side with the pwm/molex.

I had thought about the counterfeit possibility also(maybe someone bought it from ppc's.com and took the real one and returned some other junk) but I've examined it and if it is, it's a damn good fake. Also the packaging and stickers were intact.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

The good news is the adapter came today and both the adapter and pump are working great. The loop is full and has been leak free since 5pm est.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yeah, it would be a nice touch to include an extra picture on the website and in the instructions that shows the side with the pwm/molex.

I had thought about the counterfeit possibility also(maybe someone bought it from ppc's.com and took the real one and returned some other junk) but I've examined it and if it is, it's a damn good fake. Also the packaging and stickers were intact.

The good news is the adapter came today and both the adapter and pump are working great. The loop is full and has been leak free since 5pm est.

yeah I would hope there would be some evidence, it'd have to be pretty elaborate for such a small profit

glad to hear its working though!  now hopefully EK and its retailers can figure out exactly what is up so others won't have the same issue

17 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I appreciate you looking into it.  You don't happen to know off hand if the pump can be solely powered by PWM from the motherboard?  If that's the case then after my leak test I should be gold.

Ok I did talk with Peter at the HQ and also did some more search.

Question for you, did you bought this pump/res unit individually or you bought a kit like this http://www.performance-pcs.com/featured-products/ek-kit-l360-r2-0-watercooling-kit.html?

I'm asking this because if you bought it individually, you shouldn't have got this pump.

30 minutes ago, EK Luc said:

Ok I did talk with Peter at the HQ and also did some more search.

Question for you, did you bought this pump/res unit individually or you bought a kit like this http://www.performance-pcs.com/featured-products/ek-kit-l360-r2-0-watercooling-kit.html?

I'm asking this because if you bought it individually, you shouldn't have got this pump.

Individually from the link I had posted earlier.  So this pump is a different version or something?  If so, is there a performance difference?

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Individually from the link I had posted earlier.  So this pump is a different version or something?  If so, is there a performance difference?

It's a lower wattage one (6w) this is why it can be powered from the CPU_FAN header of the motherboard.  It's still powerful enough for a normal loop.

But you shouldn't have got this pump in the first place.  What you bought is a DDC 3.2 and you received a DDC 3.1

I'm waiting on a reply from Peter but i'm pretty sure you will be able to RMA it with Performance-PCs.

3 minutes ago, EK Luc said:

It's a lower wattage one (6w) this is why it can be powered from the CPU_FAN header of the motherboard.  It's still powerful enough for a normal loop.

But you shouldn't have got this pump in the first place.  What you bought is a DDC 3.2 and you received a DDC 3.1

I'm waiting on a reply from Peter but i'm pretty sure you will be able to RMA it with Performance-PCs.

I've done an RMA with performance-pc's before and they were really good about it, but in all honesty if the pumps aren't significantly different I might just stick with the one I have.

To RMA the pump I would essentially have to drain and disassemble the entire loop.  It's leak test will be over at 5pm today and if it's still running fine I feel like the process would be unnecessary unless the pump that I received has significantly worse performance(which doesn't seem like the case).

I've done an RMA with performance-pc's before and they were really good about it, but in all honesty if the pumps aren't significantly different I might just stick with the one I have.

To RMA the pump I would essentially have to drain and disassemble the entire loop.  It's leak test will be over at 5pm today and if it's still running fine I feel like the process would be unnecessary unless the pump that I received has significantly worse performance(which doesn't seem like the case).

See if you can delay it until the next time you rebuild your loop. If you are like me it won't be too long until that itch comes back.  I would much rather have a full ddc than a 6w but it probably wouldn't make a big temp difference on a rather simple loop. My 6w 3.1 wasn't too bad and I didn't notice a big temp difference when I switched to d5

3 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

See if you can delay it until the next time you rebuild your loop. If you are like me it won't be too long until that itch comes back.  I would much rather have a full ddc than a 6w but it probably wouldn't make a big temp difference on a rather simple loop. My 6w 3.1 wasn't too bad and I didn't notice a big temp difference when I switched to d5

Yeah, that could be a possibility but I don't plan on disassembling the loop until it's ready for it's routine maintenance(~year?).  RMAing would just take unnecessary time and I'd have to order in another bottle of concentrate, grab another jug of Distilled water and go through the process again.

I do have the itch though, I haven't even got the system running yet and I already want more radiator space which will necessitate a bigger case(That EVGA from CES!!!).  I also want to try PETG, I want to try loops isolated to components (1 gpu loop, 1 cpu loop in same system), and everything else ever.

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yeah, that could be a possibility but I don't plan on disassembling the loop until it's ready for it's routine maintenance(~year?).  RMAing would just take unnecessary time and I'd have to order in another bottle of concentrate, grab another jug of Distilled water and go through the process again.

I do have the itch though, I haven't even got the system running yet and I already want more radiator space which will necessitate a bigger case(That EVGA from CES!!!).  I also want to try PETG, I want to try loops isolated to components (1 gpu loop, 1 cpu loop in same system), and everything else ever.

I've rebuilt my loop probably 6 times in 6 months lol. Excessive and I need to stop, but I'm currently drawing up plans for my next one!

If you did decide to RMA you could just catch your coolant in a very clean container and re use it. I've reused my aurora 4 times now. 

Hard tubing is great! I'm using petg as of a couple weeks ago and I'll never go soft again! 

21 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It's confirmed that this is our 6w MX DDC 3.1 pump.

I still can't understand why you got this in a standalone pump/res. :(

But like I said it's still a very decent and powerful pump for the majority of the loops.  So you can still use it or RMA it it's all up to you ;)

18 minutes ago, EK Luc said:

It's confirmed that this is our 6w MX DDC 3.1 pump.

I still can't understand why you got this in a standalone pump/res. :(

But like I said it's still a very decent and powerful pump for the majority of the loops.  So you can still use it or RMA it it's all up to you ;)

It's working great, the only thing that really raised any concern was getting it powered while the system was off, but getting an adapter was easy enough.  As it is working fine and I don't see any inherent issues, I plan on keeping the part.

I do truly appreciate your help and it's awesome to know that EK is a company that cares enough to go out of their way to try and help people who have purchased their products.

Any chance of an EK branch opening in the US sometime in the future?

15 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I've rebuilt my loop probably 6 times in 6 months lol. Excessive and I need to stop, but I'm currently drawing up plans for my next one!

If you did decide to RMA you could just catch your coolant in a very clean container and re use it. I've reused my aurora 4 times now. 

Hard tubing is great! I'm using petg as of a couple weeks ago and I'll never go soft again! 

I reused coolant before by putting it in a cleaned out plastic tub, which I'm sure is fine, but for this build I really want to eliminate any loose ends.  In this way if something goes does go wrong, I don't have 50 different things that could have caused it(or that I can blame it on). 

How long did your tube bending process take?  Was it harder than expected? Easier? Every time I think about making a hardline loop, I picture myself throwing a fit because I can't get the tube to the exact angles and lengths that I need. 

8 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I reused coolant before by putting it in a cleaned out plastic tub, which I'm sure is fine, but for this build I really want to eliminate any loose ends.  In this way if something goes does go wrong, I don't have 50 different things that could have caused it(or that I can blame it on). 

How long did your tube bending process take?  Was it harder than expected? Easier? Every time I think about making a hardline loop, I picture myself throwing a fit because I can't get the tube to the exact angles and lengths that I need. 

I had mine done in probably 4 hours for the actual pipe fitting. It was easier than I expected, but I do a lot of pipe fitting with copper at work and I'm not a complete perfectionist. I wasted about .5m of tubing but I would definitely recommend getting plenty of extra tubing just in case. I bought 12m and used about 2.5m so I've got plenty to rebuild.

It's working great, the only thing that really raised any concern was getting it powered while the system was off, but getting an adapter was easy enough.  As it is working fine and I don't see any inherent issues, I plan on keeping the part.

I do truly appreciate your help and it's awesome to know that EK is a company that cares enough to go out of their way to try and help people who have purchased their products.

Any chance of an EK branch opening in the US sometime in the future?

This year we have a few enterprise goals and one of them is to enhance our presence in North America. :)