The Audio Board's Recommended Gear

SSL

Pinned.

Nice, feel it could do with some sub 50 since that comes up quite a lot. my recommendation for that would be something like Sennheiser 201 just because how dirt cheap they are yet actually better then a lot of other headphones twice its price.

The Dick of the audio page!

Considering the under $200 recommendation is any headphone you want it might be worth adding a $200 price bracket in as well. This will also help put something like the K553 into a more appropriate price bracket (Although I'm not sure how many other headphones fit this bracket).

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10

I thought stuff like this wasn't allowed, and that's why no such list has existed so far? Oh well, it's a good trend.

Well, given an admin pinned it things are changing for the more useful it seems.

Nice, feel it could do with some sub 50 since that comes up quite a lot. my recommendation for that would be something like Sennheiser 201 just because how dirt cheap they are yet actually better then a lot of other headphones twice its price.

Good idea. We'll get it in there; the monoprice 8323 would fit as well.

Considering the under $200 recommendation is any headphone you want it might be worth adding a $200 price bracket in as well. This will also help put something like the K553 into a more appropriate price bracket (Although I'm not sure how many other headphones fit this bracket).

I thought about it; problem is that there is a lot of price fluctuation that goes on in the sub $300 price bracket, so it might not always be true from week to week. Easier to throw them all in a big bin an let people figure out the best price where they're shopping.

Spotted a typo.

HiFiMan HE-400i
No, not a "HE-400, improved". These are more like a slightly cut-down version of the HE-560 with less soudnstage and a more forward mid-range. Removable two-sided 3.5mm cable.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I'm thrilled to finally see one of these lists get pinned, and hope that people reference it. Even though the majority of us recommend a headphone/mic, a category regarding headsets might be helpful.

Also, I'm happy that the PM-3's made the cut. They are my cans of choice, for the daily commute. :)

I didn't notice this until you posted it in another thread. Great suggestions. 

Couple things I will try to contribute... 668Bs may want to fall more towards the open end than closed. Takstar HI2050s are soon going to be over $100 since they have recently gone over a revision, and the ones now are just selling the old stock (I personally think the Pioneer SE-A1000 is a superior sounding headphone for the money). Probably going to be the same for the SHP9500 unfortunately. You could add the PSBs beside the NAD VISO HP50s since they are very similar. Lastly the M6 Pros should probably belong in the budget IEMs.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

I didn't notice this until you posted it in another thread. Great suggestions. 

Couple things I will try to contribute... 668Bs may want to fall more towards the open end than closed. Takstar HI2050s are soon going to be over $100 since they have recently gone over a revision, and the ones now are just selling the old stock (I personally think the Pioneer SE-A1000 is a superior sounding headphone for the money). Probably going to be the same for the SHP9500 unfortunately. You could add the PSBs beside the NAD VISO HP50s since they are very similar. Lastly the M6 Pros should probably belong in the budget IEMs.

Good suggestions. I'll keep an eye on prices; on of the reasons that I wanted to avoid tight bins is how quickly they can change.

I'm happy the M50X never touched the list. The M40X is slightly debatable, but the M40X is absolutely more of a compelling value compared to the M50X. And yeah, Nad Visio? I thought it was Nad Viso (unless someone can tell me that the company had a name change or something).

I'm happy the M50X never touched the list. The M40X is slightly debatable, but the M40X is absolutely more of a compelling value compared to the M50X. And yeah, Nad Visio? I thought it was Nad Viso (unless someone can tell me that the company had a name change or something).

Good catch, I'm not much of a proofreader. The M40X does fill certain needs; it doesn't sound terrible and it folds nicely.

You could add the PSBs beside the NAD VISO HP50s since they are very similar. Lastly the M6 Pros should probably belong in the budget IEMs.

Actually, if you want to write a short blurb on the PSB M4U2 and M6 Pros, I'll edit the guides with them.

Good catch, I'm not much of a proofreader. The M40X does fill certain needs; it doesn't sound terrible and it folds nicely.

Actually, if you want to write a short blurb on the PSB M4U2 and M6 Pros, I'll edit the guides with them.

I can do that. The PSBs are made by the same person who made the HP50s (Paul Barton) I thought they were the same driver until I watched a shootout between them. They have more soundstage than any closed headphone I have ever tried, which I guess is the whole "Roomfeel" technology. Unpowered they are slightly V shaped, but not too prominent. The M4U 2 offers an internal amp that does give the headphones a slight bass boost, but if you are using them for home use, the M4U 1 are the same headphone without the amp or ANC for $50 less. Pretty easy to drive, pads are a little small but not uncomfortable. Is fold-able for traveling. Not the best lookers (mine in white more so). Has a 3.5mm input on both sides which you only need to use one side, which is great for the BoomPro. Other side would be used to share music, kinda gimmicky IMO. 

The MEE Audio M6 Pros I can't go into too much detail for sound since I have not had my pair in almost 3 months (loaned to a certain someone for review). They offer a lot for their $50 price, which includes several eartips and a pair of comply tips. Has a detachable cable, as well as it comes with an extra cable. Has over the ear fit with memory wire. I think they may be a little bright, but not too bad. 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

What about the superlux hd668b for under 50 ?
I'm not an audio guy , but they sound the best from all the headphones i've ever used..

What about the superlux hd668b for under 50 ?

I'm not an audio guy , but they sound the best from all the headphones i've ever used..

It was in there, but in the under $100 category. Moved to $50.

The Samson SR850 belong in the under $50 category.  I just don't know how to describe the sound other than they seem comparable to how people describe the 668b.

Also I think there should be a short blurb on the Superlux (and earlier versions of the SR850) that if they come with the bumper car like leatherette pads it should be recommended to replace them with HiFiMan velour pads, either direct from the store or eBay.  The really do transform them from a medieval torture device into something tolerable.

On 1/29/2016 at 4:26 AM, Donk Quixote said:

The Samson SR850 belong in the under $50 category.  I just don't know how to describe the sound other than they seem comparable to how people describe the 668b.

Also I think there should be a short blurb on the Superlux (and earlier versions of the SR850) that if they come with the bumper car like leatherette pads it should be recommended to replace them with HiFiMan velour pads, either direct from the store or eBay.  The really do transform them from a medieval torture device into something tolerable.

Do the HIfiman pads attach without any modification or adhesive?

9 hours ago, SSL said:

You need to stretch and warp the vinyl on the HiFiMan pads to make them fit the Superlux headphones (the 668bs anyway. I haven't tried others). When that is done, the pads will fit just fine. 

Edit: And you need to remove the plastic fitting ring, bui that is pretty much a given.

Pads made for the AKG K701 or K240 will also fit without any major hassle.

I suspect that Beyerdynamic pads should also fit but I haven't tired it out just yet. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

8 hours ago, SSL said:

7 hours ago, Volbet said:

You need to stretch and warp the vinyl on the HiFiMan pads to make them fit the Superlux headphones (the 668bs anyway. I haven't tried others). When that is done, the pads will fit just fine. 

Edit: And you need to remove the plastic fitting ring, bui that is pretty much a given.

Pads made for the AKG K701 or K240 will also fit with any major hassle.

I suspect that Beyerdynamic pads should also fit but I haven't tired it out just yet. 

Here's a video explaining the process a bit.  

Say what you want about Zeos and his reviews, but one thing he does that I don't see anywhere else is replacement pad recommendations.  If the 668b pads are anything like the SR850 pads (the older ones I got, looks like they use velour pads now) then he's dead on the money when he says they are the worst pads possible.

1 hour ago, Donk Quixote said:

Say what you want about Zeos and his reviews, but one thing he does that I don't see anywhere else is replacement pad recommendations.  If the 668b pads are anything like the SR850 pads (the older ones I got, looks like they use velour pads now) then he's dead on the money when he says they are the worst pads possible.

If my memory serves right then the pads on the Superlux 668bs and the old pads on the SR850 were the exact same pads.

It was a thin PU leather (used in the lightest terms) ring with minimal padding. It is pretty much a must to change the out. 

On me padding was so thin that the plastic on the earcup would touch the back of my skull. I know not all people suffere from this, but I do think it's important to mention.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 hour ago, Donk Quixote said:

Thanks for the video.

Apparently DIY Audio Heaven is a good source of information on bad replacements and their effects via measurements. Zeos hardly has a corner on this subject.

Here's are some of my personal favorite closed backs

Sennheiser HD 8 DJ, if you're into the "Blue Sound Stage"

Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, and Mad Dog Pro's if you're into the "Fostex Sound Signature"

For the budget people out there the HD 280's are cheap and probably almost impossible to break

Brainwavz HM5's

Sony MDR7506

Beyer Dyanmic DT 770's

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

2 hours ago, Marziman said:

Here's are some of my personal favorite closed backs

Sennheiser HD 8 DJ, if you're into the "Blue Sound Stage"

Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, and Mad Dog Pro's if you're into the "Fostex Sound Signature"

For the budget people out there the HD 280's are cheap and probably almost impossible to break

Brainwavz HM5's

Sony MDR7506

Beyer Dyanmic DT 770's

Yup, most of thoes are already on the list.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."