Computer Business

NakedSponge

Hello,

First of all, i have absolutely no idea what section this thread should be in, so please excuse me if my judgment was incorrect. Me and a few friends (mainly me) are interested in computers and all that and want to start some sort of computer building business. Before you all start screaming at me that its impossible to make enough money to live off, i know. This is purely an on the side thing and is not in any way going to be a primary business, besides i still go to school anyways. So what I really would like to know is exactly how I should go about this. I have built several computers for friends and such before so it's not like i have no experience. I just want to know how to advertise and stuff so that i can attract attention. I know that a website would be a good idea, but that takes time so I would like some sort of other way in the mean time. Any advice would be appreciated. So i know that was pretty much just a huge ramble but I am just looking for advice, or if anybody has experience in this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance  :)

Start asking around if people needs builds. Most don't even consider it until you bring it up to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I pretty much made a topic identical to this a while back.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40333-do-you-guys-think-i-could-make-this-work/

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Unfortunately I can not help but I want to know, Followed! :D

Good luck.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

If there is any major LAN events in your area or there is some kind of community market or fair you could make a booth. This will raise awareness of your business in your local area. This will however need an investment. In the beginning you probably need to spread the word from mouth to mouth. Ask around if anybody know anybody that needs a new computer or a change of some components

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Start asking around if people needs builds. Most don't even consider it until you bring it up to them.

^This is true, usually people who are looking around for custom built PCs would already know how to do it themselves. Average 'non tech savvy' people will just buy whatever they can afford from their favorite brand. Maybe you should try selling on ebay or something like that.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

this is true. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I've done about 21 builds this year it's not easy to get yourself out there.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Well from personal experience i would make some posters and stick them around the city you could ask friends from school if they need a pc also if you live in UK you could make adds in sites like gumtree. Good Luck  ;)

Edit: Non tech people will probably buy your pc just because its "GAMING" and looks good .

You can also specialize in building mini computers, like those:

0983.jpg

I am sure you can find people that want a unique computer, but doesn't need GPU power, or even very powerful CPU (Core i5?).

Have such computer with high quality low speed fan for an ultra quiet experience, and a touch screen like the Dell S2340T monitor (IPS - 1080p) (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-9517&dgc=BA&cid=266740&lid=4859195&acd=12309183969360129)

or better yet, one that can over your keyboard in some fashion, if you can find one.

Add a nice backlight keyboard like the Logitech illuminated keyboard

dsc-0098custom.jpg

logitechkb-backlit.jpg

and matching color mouse (preferably wireless), and speakers. And you have a pretty slick computer to sale.

~SNAPPY HAPPY~

What PC case is that? Can you please give me a link?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

What PC case is that? Can you please give me a link?

I just did a Google search. I actually have no idea.

It's definitely not from the brands we know.

I think it's from Streacom (http://www.streacom.com/products/chassis/)

Although the feet might have been added but who ever built it.. or an older model, as I don't see it on the web site.

Oh an be sure you do affairs with warehouses,. not retail stores, to get the best prices on some/all parts.

(sometimes going retail for some parts will be cheaper as they strike deals due to large orders and such).

Ohhh look at that... Streacom and a cool guide to build these mini cases, so that you don't have overheating issues

http://www.streacom.com/system-build-guide/

After doing further research.. in trying to see how the PSU goes in... it doesn't...

It uses this: http://www.quietpc.com/st-nano150

Ok now I want to build one :)

Happy NakedSponge!

Before you start trying to advertise your start up on-the-side business, i suggest you set out a plan on who to deal with post-sale support. With all due respect, anyone can build and then sell computers for a profit; however, what do you do when, in 6 months time, the customer comes back to you with a problem? Perhaps a CPU has died, a RAM stick is faulty or the motherboard has been fried. You need to have a set protocol to deal with these issues and set them out clearly at time of purchase otherwise you could be held accountable, even perhaps legal action. I wish you the best luck, and this is by no means an attempt to deter you, just ensuring you have thought about everything before committing to people whom you may not necessarily be able to support.

Very good point... and what if the part is dicountinue, then what?

It's all situations you need to plan, and assume in your pricing.

Also, How do you ship back and forward your computers, if the person is far (for ordering or warranty return)? So you want to offer this service?

Also, you need to see all the legal part of your business, and how to treat returns, exchanges, and so on.

A return computer can't be sold as new or can it? check the laws for this, and do you want to sale someone a non-new computer as new, even if you wipe the drive? That would be miss information and could lead to legal trouble.

Also, you need to see how to get a Microsoft partnership for selling Windows. Because, as per license agreement, you can't sale more than 5 licenses of OEM (System Builder) Windows for commercial purposes.

How about pre-installed software? Even if you try to be nice and include Live Essential, you need Microsoft approval for this.

Also, Microsoft state that when a user opens the computer for the first time, it should lead to the setup account screen stage, and not the desktop/Start Screen or login screen. They need to set this up. So how do you set this up. You need to do research on the required tools from Microsoft to do this.

thanks for all of your replies guys, i will consider them all and im sure that they will help me in the future  :)

Add a nice backlight keyboard like the Logitech illuminated keyboard

What keyboard is this? Link please?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Also, you need to see how to get a Microsoft partnership for selling Windows. Because, as per license agreement, you can't sale more than 5 licenses of OEM (System Builder) Windows for commercial purposes.

Do you know how i would go about this, because i cant really seem to find that much information regarding the topic.