Best OS to run on this PC

djdelarosa25
Go to solution Solved by Delicieuxz,

Windows 10 doesn't perform better (snappier) than Windows 7 or 8:

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 application performance:

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 gaming performance:

If you experienced any increase in response, it's probably the normal gain in response that comes with going from an OS that's cluttered with installed apps (that drag down initial startup time), to having a freshly installed OS that isn't bogged down by personally installed apps and processes.

And it makes sense that a 64 bit OS would use more RAM as 64 bit processes use around 50% more RAM than 32 bit processes. Looking it up, 64 bit Windows uses 200 - 500 MB more RAM at idle than 32 bit Windows.

Dad's shitty PC. He doesn't want to upgrade it, since it'll be a waste of money for him. I'm gonna do a clean install on it tomorrow. What OS would give me the best performance?

P.S. Only Windows OS'es. From 7-10.

post-287910-0-32209400-1451305404.png

that's some windows xp grade hardware, but i'd say win7 32bit could run fine-ish

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

holy f I am suprised he even got win10 on this PC, win 7 32bit should run kinda good

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

My windows vista laptop only had a gig of ram. My gosh, those specs are 200% better than that piece of shit laptop i had back then. 

Any version of windows will work. I'm sure that processor supports 64 bit. always use 64 bit when you can. 

Windows 7 if you like 700+ updates. 

Or windows 10. Please dont touch windows 8. I beg you. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

My windows vista laptop only had a gig of ram. My gosh, those specs are 200% better than that piece of shit laptop i had back then. 

Any version of windows will work. I'm sure that processor supports 64 bit. always use 64 bit when you can. 

Or windows 10. Please dont touch windows 8. I beg you. 

They say it isn't advisable to run 64-bit on systems with lower than 4GB of RAM. 64-bit uses more resources, about 300-500MB more RAM.

They say it isn't advisable to run 64-bit on systems with lower than 4GB of RAM. 64-bit uses more resources, about 300-500MB more RAM.

Hasn't been my experience. A fresh install of windows 7 used less than a gig of ram. Windows 10 uses a gig with a bunch of background processes I have running. (anti virus, driver programs, etc) 

Do you even fanboy bro?

I would say go for 10 as it is meant to run faster. However I had a similar pc running windows 7 ultimate before I upgraded to my gaming pc now. 7 could be alright but may be slow in places.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I think there are around 270 updates if a person does a new installation of Windows 7 from a non-updated Windows 7 image. But people can download updated ISO images of Windows 7 that include SP1 and all the security updates. Regardless, updating isn't a difficult process, just let it run.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I think there are around 270 updates if a person does a new installation of Windows 7 from a non-updated Windows 7 image. But people can download updated ISO images of Windows 7 that include SP1 and all the security updates. Regardless, updating isn't a difficult process, just let it run.

32-bit or 64-bit on 2 GB of RAM, personally?

When I did my fresh install last year from my retail copy of windows 7, there was over 500+ updates. Sure most of us can find an image with updates already, but for those who have a retail copy of windows 7 there are A LOT of updates.

Do you even fanboy bro?

If I take out a stick of RAM on my older phenom 2 computer, itll have 2 gigs. I do this to mess with 1.7+ volts on memory and memory overclocking. Windows 10 64 bit runs jut fine on 2 gigs of RAM. I have personally tested with with BOTH windows 7 64 bit and windows 10 64 bit.

EDIT: I meant to keep this as one post, not make two. whoops.

Do you even fanboy bro?

Dad's shitty PC. He doesn't want to upgrade it, since it'll be a waste of money for him. I'm gonna do a clean install on it tomorrow. What OS would give me the best performance?

P.S. Only Windows OS'es. From 7-10.

I would say windows 10 32-bit. The pc is quite old but according to linus review, it's the fastest when compared to windows 7,8.1,10

http://youtu.be/DXd2GQgupE8

I don't have an informed answer to that question, but I'd generally go 64-bit with everything, because if you go 32 bit, you may not be able to run some applications that support 64 bit only.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Thanks guys! Gonna reinstall Windows 7 32-bit since I love the classic UI. I did try 64-bit and it used 30% more memory in idle than 32-bit. so, 32-bit it is.

Finally convinced my dad to upgrade his RAM. Unfortunately, the mobo's limit is 4GB, so we're stuck with that. So I'm going for 64-bit now. Thanks!

I think you've already made up your mind but I'd really recommend you go for Windows 10. In my experience, and this is NOT empirically measured I'm just basing it on the overall feel and snappiness of my old Dell minidesktop (with the same specs as yours for the most part) vs. my sister's (which is the exame same one), Windows 10 feels snappier than Windows 7 and it boots faster too.

And 64-bit OS'es hogging more RAM? First time I've heard of that. 

Windows 10 doesn't perform better (snappier) than Windows 7 or 8:

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 application performance:

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 gaming performance:

If you experienced any increase in response, it's probably the normal gain in response that comes with going from an OS that's cluttered with installed apps (that drag down initial startup time), to having a freshly installed OS that isn't bogged down by personally installed apps and processes.

And it makes sense that a 64 bit OS would use more RAM as 64 bit processes use around 50% more RAM than 32 bit processes. Looking it up, 64 bit Windows uses 200 - 500 MB more RAM at idle than 32 bit Windows.