I am not sure if my PSU is strong enough for Nvidia GTX 950

dusanm

I'm thinking about buying Nvidia GTX 950 and I don't know if my PSU is strong enough to run everything ok. Here are my specs:

PSU: MS Industrial Platinum MS-400ATX P4 - 400W

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

Here is the picture of my PSU with probably more informations:

post-296620-0-28425600-1450990609_thumb.

You should change it. It is of very low quality and migt kill your pc very soon.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

400W should be fine but that PSU is sketchy as hell and probably can't deliver what it claims.  Replace it first :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That only have 14A on the 12v rail. That effectively makes it a 200w unit at best by today's standard. Also, the negative 5v rail had been removed over a decade ago. The fact that your PSU has it shows that it is based on an archaic design.

You should replaced it with a proper, modern unit.

Ok, wow those are quick responses, thank all of you. So can anyone recommend me a good PSU for that card?

Ok, wow those are quick responses, thank all of you. So can anyone recommend me a good PSU for that card?

This is your friend: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/404921-strmfrmxmns-psu-whitelist/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

A Corsair CX430M or EVGA 500B would be a good choice for ya.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Ok thanks for the advices, but can anyone explain me, why does the gtx950 need so much power,for example 600w corsair psu (cs600m), on the Nvidas site it says that minimum PSU power is 350 W. Julian2000nl, I looked upc 600w corsair psu (cs600m) and there are two or three versions possibly: one is CX600M like you said(if that's the same thing, then there's CX600, and there's CX600W v2. Is that all the same? If it's not, which one should I buy?

Ok thanks for the advices, but can anyone explain me, why does the gtx950 need so much power,for example 600w corsair psu (cs600m), on the Nvidas site it says that minimum PSU power is 350 W. Julian2000nl, I looked upc 600w corsair psu (cs600m) and there are two or three versions possibly: one is CX600M like you said(if that's the same thing, then there's CX600, and there's CX600W v2. Is that all the same? If it's not, which one should I buy?

The GTX 950 doesn't need a lot of power. Your would shock me if it breached 150W.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

STRMfrmXMN, Ok thanks for the advice, how is CX430M or EVGA 500B compared to 600w corsair psu (cs600m) which Julian2000nl suggested? How strong PSU do I need? And if the gtx 950 doesn't need lots of power, what in my pc does, processor maybe?

STRMfrmXMN, Ok thanks for the advice, how is CX430M or EVGA 500B compared to 600w corsair psu (cs600m) which Julian2000nl suggested? How strong PSU do I need? And if the gtx 950 doesn't need lots of power, what in my pc does, processor maybe?

You don't need a strong PSU. Also, don't forget to quote people to get their attention!

The CS600 is better than both options I mentioned but is unnecessary for a GTX 950 which produces no heat and needs very little power. I'd suggest a CX430M because it's semi-modular and has enough power by a long shot.

You don't need a strong PSU. Also, don't forget to quote people to get their attention!

The CS600 is better than both options I mentioned but is unnecessary for a GTX 950 which produces no heat and needs very little power. I'd suggest a CX430M because it's semi-modular and has enough power by a long shot.

CS600 isn't a power supply though? Huh?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

There's three revision to the CX series. To put it simply, look for the Bronze rated ones to have the latest revision. The first two revision had issues with primary cap failure.

As for the CS series, it is very much superior to the CX, and if you can get the CS450M in the same price point as the CX430M, I would get it.

Btw, can you provide an link to the store you are able to buy from and well as your budget? This way we can provide other potential options that may be better.

terrible quality. literally fire hazard

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Ok, thanks for the advice, checked the CX430M up, it's ok, just a question, this is 430 W right, then my would my 400 W PSU burn everything down, when it's just 30 W difference, is it because of the differnt or better manufacturer? Oh and one more thing, are there any more of good PSU manufacturers? The Corsair doesn't seem to be imported into my country so much(or at all), I found only a few people selling them, not like in a shop, and they are not in the same city as I am

Ok, thanks for the advice, checked the CX430M up, it's ok, just a question, this is 430 W right, then my would my 400 W PSU burn everything down, when it's just 30 W difference, is it because of the differnt or better manufacturer? Oh and one more thing, are there any more of good PSU manufacturers? The Corsair doesn't seem to be imported into my country so much(or at all), I found only a few people selling them, not like in a shop, and they are not in the same city as I am

Apart from the PSU whitelist in my sig I can't suggest a brand as a be-all end-all solution. What stores can you buy from and what is your budget?

terrible quality. literally fire hazard

Oh, wow, I thought my PSU is a good one (it says platinum). Ok thanks for the information

Oh, wow, I thought my PSU is a good one (it says platinum). Ok thanks for the information

no problem.

and just because it says a cool word doesnt mean it is good.

platinum would only be useful if it was talking about efficiency

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Apart from the PSU whitelist in my sig I can't suggest a brand as a be-all end-all solution. What stores can you buy from and what is your budget?

Ok I'm now sure if this will help, it could be these shops exist only in my country, but these are the shops I found: WinWin, Gigatron, Emmi (if that's a shop, they have a website)That's it I think, there is a site http://www.itsvet.com/kategorija/napajanja/comp_comp_powersupply it has smoe of the Corsair PSUs but it is not on english so I'm not sure how much it helps. About the budget, I'm not sure, I'm looking for something that will allow me to use compuet, play games... with gtx 950 while not cathing my pc on fire. Nothing like psu that I will have to change in I don't know, every half a year because of its poor quality, but nothing too exspensive, and I'm not sure about the prices, never bought any part of the computer, so I don't know what is a good price and what not

Ok I'm now sure if this will help, it could be these shops exist only in my country, but these are the shops I found: WinWin, Gigatron, Emmi (if that's a shop, they have a website)That's it I think, there is a site http://www.itsvet.com/kategorija/napajanja/comp_comp_powersupply it has smoe of the Corsair PSUs but it is not on english so I'm not sure how much it helps. About the budget, I'm not sure, I'm looking for something that will allow me to use compuet, play games... with gtx 950 while not cathing my pc on fire. Nothing like psu that I will have to change in I don't know, every half a year because of its poor quality, but nothing too exspensive, and I'm not sure about the prices, never bought any part of the computer, so I don't know what is a good price and what not

Well if you have no set amount of money I'm probably going to recommend something that's out of your budget but hey, I'll try my best.

Can you afford this guy here? http://www.itsvet.com/proizvod/seasonic-ss-650g-650w/comp_comp_powersupply/725/830

Well if you have no set amount of money I'm probably going to recommend something that's out of your budget but hey, I'll try my best.

Can you afford this guy here? http://www.itsvet.com/proizvod/seasonic-ss-650g-650w/comp_comp_powersupply/725/830

Well, I can afford it ( I have enough money, my money), the question is, will my parents allow me to buy something as expensive as that, knowing them, they will probably try to find something cheaper. I'll ask them, but I just found CORSAIR CX Series Modular CX430M for 57 euros and Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M for 73 euros both about 190 Km away from my city, but that can be solved by delivering. Is that a better solution since Corsair is what people recommend in here? Oh and one more thing, I have no idea how you menaged to do anything on that website, since it is not on english( I doubt anyone from anywhere around the world would want to study Serbian), so thank you, really