Force SLI on non-SLI motherboard

gergy008

Hi there!

So a friend of mine bought dual 980's and has been using them without SLI for ages without even knowing. The problem is that the motherboard (Asus P8Z77-M) doesn't list SLI support. I know it's a stupid certificate issue and that SLI is proven to work in the past without the price of the SLI sticker manufacturers have to pay.

Is there any way to force SLI support? I heard of HyperSLI and some other programs but everything I seem to find is highly outdated or discontinued.

I don't want him to have to upgrade from his 3770k for the sake of this, it's a very capable platform that he currently has and it would be a massive waste. I'm going to try and find a used Z77 board that has SLI support - If you're in the UK and you have a spare let me know!

Thanks,

Gergy

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

you would probably need some unofficial BIOS for a hope in hell for it to work

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

There are drivers you might be able to find that enable HyperSLI which is a driver hack, enabling SLI to be used on a non-SLI board. Other than that, no there is no other way besides purchasing a new board.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hypersli-enabling-sli-on-non-sli-motherboards.153046/

You could try following that thread and getting HyperSLi to work. I have not tried it since my board has up to 4 - way SLi support. Should have tried it on my old board. 

Might give it a shot on my 775 board someday. Just for the heck of it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hypersli-enabling-sli-on-non-sli-motherboards.153046/

You could try following that thread and getting HyperSLi to work. I have not tried it since my board has up to 4 - way SLi support. Should have tried it on my old board. 

Might give it a shot on my 775 board someday. Just for the heck of it. 

Yep I found that page, all the links are broken. Seriously outdated guides too, I'm gonna keep going through the latest replies looking for something- but it's a real shame that this is something that people don't pursue anymore. Strange.

Anyways I have to stress if you have a Z77 mobo for sale that works with SLI in the UK let me know

Thanks for the help guys! It's really hard to find a compatible motherboard- virtually impossible but I'll keep looking.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Yep I found that page, all the links are broken. Seriously outdated guides too, I'm gonna keep going through the latest replies looking for something- but it's a real shame that this is something that people don't pursue anymore. Strange.

Anyways I have to stress if you have a Z77 mobo for sale that works with SLI in the UK let me know

Thanks for the help guys! It's really hard to find a compatible motherboard- virtually impossible but I'll keep looking.

Pages 110 and later are more up to date.

You could search eBay or the Overclock.net marketplace for a Z77 mobo. The ones on eBay do appear to be mostly the budget crap that lack SLi and some other features. All the Maximus boards (that's all there really is) are £150+. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III