x16/x16 VS x8/x8 SLI Results...awkward

So I ordered an SLI bridge that is advertised to fit 1st and 4th slot. For SLI to work on my motherboard at x16/x16 it is advertised for 1st and 4th slot...well as you can see at the bottom of the first picture that I took the specs too literally and assumed they were compatible.(My motherboard has an extra gap between slots 1 and 2 that caused this issue.) I was going to return the bridge, then I said screw it, let me see if moving up the card up 1 slot and running it at x8/x8 speeds reduces my performance, the following I did not expect.

j82jw5.jpg

67rsqf.jpg2us9a88.png

11jyqki.png

PC Settings for both tests

4lrn8x.png

So if you are worried about buying a processor that doesn't support 40 pci lanes  (Example: 5820k) or a motherboard with just 1x16 slot, don't worry because it doesn't matter.

5930k @ 4.5

DDR4 @ 3200

980 ti's @1480

that is really weird

but 3Dmark only tell one part of the story

can you test with games and see the fps difference?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

This is mostly common knowledge (on LTT)  that one is no worse off using x8 x8 over x16 x16.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

that is really weird

this is actually not weird and normal

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Running 8x instead of 16x will give you 1-2% less performance at absolute worst. Most of the time there is no difference.

this is actually not weird and normal

well i do know x8 x8 configs will still be ok

but never seen the scores to be higher than running full x16 mode

also 3DMark only shows part of the story

games may perform differently with x8 vs x16 configs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It isn´t surprising for me to see that. I told and will tell everybody PCIe3.0 x16 x16 is not necessary nowadays because there´s literally no GPU on the market that is fast enough to make use of it. PCIe 3.0 x8 x8 is completely sufficient.

The reason for a 40 native lane CPU is either a lot of cards to connect with higher lane demand or more than 2 GPUs, because this is where the 5930K and the 5960X start to shine. 3 or 4way SLI/CF systems. And of course if you are an OCer to achieve higher results in 3D Mark´s Physics score.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

that is really weird

How is that weird?

EVERYONE knows that you dont need 3.0 x16 or even 3.0 x8 with less than 3/4 GPUs

it makes zero difference, a graphics card does NOT use even PCIe 2.0 x8 speeds

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How is that weird?

EVERYONE knows that you dont need 3.0 x16 or even 3.0 x8 with less than 3/4 GPUs

it makes zero difference, a graphics card does NOT use even PCIe 2.0 x8 speeds

i expect a drop in performance with x8 maybe by a few hundred point

but an increase?

maybe i have yet to see more results

well i do know x8 x8 configs will still be ok

but never seen the scores to be higher than running full x16 mode

also 3DMark only shows part of the story

games may perform differently with x8 vs x16 configs

Its a margin of error

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Its a margin of error

yea which is why i need OP to test in games as well

but an increase?

∆2.5% is a margin of error because your PC is always doing small tasks in the background, this had been tested before by people who make a living wiring PC articles and running Benchmarks and it always shows that 3.0 8x vs 16x makes no difference with consumer applications.

yea which is why i need OP to test in games as well

That wouldnt help.

Im saying the extra few FPS are coming from say an update that was downloading when he was doing x16 x16 or maybe a background malware checked

∆2.5% is a margin of error because your PC is always doing small tasks in the background, this had been tested before by people who make a living wiring PC articles and running Benchmarks and it always shows that 3.0 8x vs 16x makes no difference with consumer applications.

i do aware the margin of error

which is why in the first post i made

i would like OP to test with actual games

i would like OP to test with actual games

It's already been tested to death.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

but an increase?

increase = inconsistency

hes obviously not in safe mode with minimal background processes

a few hundred points is within margin of error

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The only reason they had to go from a 15.75GB/s to 31.5GB/s interface with PCI express 3.0 was servers wanted network/raid cards with more connectivity.

technologies for server will then trickle down to consumers or mainstream products

although its still overkill for the normal person to use PCI-E SSD with average 1GB/s Read/write speeds

I have experience that says PCIE 2.0 x16/x16 provides a bottleneck when running SLI 980ti - compared to PCIE 3.0 16x/8x. PCIE 2.0 could not go over 96fps (hard FPS wall) when displaying 4k (even subsampling render at 1080 provided the same result) tried different SLI bridges with no change.  approx 10% loss of firestrike graphics score between the two when displayin at 1080p.

there IS a bottleneck below PCIE 3.0 8x and it seems to be only at very high resolutions.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

technologies for server will then trickle down to consumers or mainstream products

although its still overkill for the normal person to use PCI-E SSD with average 1GB/s Read/write speeds

Really it's mainly because the network cards that run the fiber optic cable that connect cities, countries and contents need more bandwidth, the dual 100Gb/s networking cards of today are impossible to run on a 16x PCIe 2.0 connection.

Really it's mainly because the network cards that run the fiber optic cable that connect cities, countries and contents need more bandwidth, the dual 100Gb/s networking cards of today are impossible to run on a 16x PCIe 2.0 connection.

haha well i still complaining my 1GB fiber is not enough for my "ahem" stuffs i get

This is pretty common knowledge in the GPU technology, surprised not many people actually know about it. Same thing will happen with PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0, barely any performance difference on which slot the GPU goes to. Probably at higher surround display systems it might have an impact.