Does 24GB RAM Make any sense?

Go to solution Solved by Virtual01,

Just go with another 8 to make 16. 24 is ridiculous overkill, and 16 likely is as well but if you're almost reaching the 8GB limit then go ahead and upgrade.

Honestly I wouldn't upgrade until after you know that you need it. Get your streaming setup up and running, then see if you encounter RAM issues. No reason to waste your money.

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of some incremental upgrades I could get for my PC when I purchase my CPU cooler (since I've been using the stock one that came with my 4690k for a little bit and I wanted to change that to something that both matches by build and does a better job, most likely getting the Cryorig H5) and RAM was something that came to mind. 

Would it make any sense to get a 16GB kit (2x8GB) to put in my PC in addition to the 8GB (2x4GB) that's already in my system?  Or will that be a stupid think to do and I should opt for just another 8GB kit.

I know RAM compatibility issues are rare if you get ones with the same speed, voltage, latency, etc. but to be safe I would get the same kit from the same manufacture, just in the different capacity (if I were to get the 16GB kit).

Something to note as to why I want more RAM is just because I know 8GB is OK for current games and regular tasks, but I want to get into doing some light live-streaming and since newer games will use more RAM it will be a good thing to have.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Many thanks, GH4

i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz - Gigabyte R9390 - MSI Z97S SLI Krait - 2x4GB S.Skill RAM @ 2400 NZXT S340 - EVGA 850W B2 -  Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD (boot + main programs) - Segate 1TB (Mass storage)

Is that how you signature?

If you're just gaming, then it's stupid. I don't use more than 9GB while doing games + videos. 

I used to be quite active here.

24 gigs is overkill, if you want to get more ram i would just get another 2x4 kit... try to get the same brand and model that you already have if possible... if not then atleast make sure they are the same speed and timings 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Go for Cryorig H7 instead. Also, even at 16gb ram sounds excessive.

As what others posted, make sure all ram sticks have same timing and speed.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Just go with another 8 to make 16. 24 is ridiculous overkill, and 16 likely is as well but if you're almost reaching the 8GB limit then go ahead and upgrade.

Honestly I wouldn't upgrade until after you know that you need it. Get your streaming setup up and running, then see if you encounter RAM issues. No reason to waste your money.

Thank you everyone for the lightning fast responses!

I will make sure to get the same kit that is already in my system and not go overkill o the 24GB!

Cheers!

i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz - Gigabyte R9390 - MSI Z97S SLI Krait - 2x4GB S.Skill RAM @ 2400 NZXT S340 - EVGA 850W B2 -  Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD (boot + main programs) - Segate 1TB (Mass storage)

Unless you're doing serious workstation work anything over 16GB is absolutely useless.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Go for Cryorig H7 instead. Also, even at 16gb ram sounds excessive.

As what others posted, make sure all ram sticks have same timing and speeds

I was originally going to go with the H7, but I really want the H5 because:

1. Slightly better temps will allow for slightly better OC

2. It has a white plate on top which will go with my build better than the plain black on the H7

3. It's mainly #2 lol, but I don't mind paying the extra ~$10 for the white.  In my eyes, the extra cooling is just a bonus ha ha

I was originally going to go with the H7, but I really want the H5 because:

1. Slightly better temps will allow for slightly better OC

2. It has a white plate on top which will go with my build better than the plain black on the H7

3. It's mainly #2 lol, but I don't mind paying the extra ~$10 for the white.  In my eyes, the extra cooling is just a bonus ha ha

I feel ya. lol

11875112_1197726246920261_74114279887427

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of some incremental upgrades I could get for my PC when I purchase my CPU cooler (since I've been using the stock one that came with my 4690k for a little bit and I wanted to change that to something that both matches by build and does a better job, most likely getting the Cryorig H5) and RAM was something that came to mind. 

Would it make any sense to get a 16GB kit (2x8GB) to put in my PC in addition to the 8GB (2x4GB) that's already in my system?  Or will that be a stupid think to do and I should opt for just another 8GB kit.

I know RAM compatibility issues are rare if you get ones with the same speed, voltage, latency, etc. but to be safe I would get the same kit from the same manufacture, just in the different capacity (if I were to get the 16GB kit).

Something to note as to why I want more RAM is just because I know 8GB is OK for current games and regular tasks, but I want to get into doing some light live-streaming and since newer games will use more RAM it will be a good thing to have.

Hi.

A cheaper cooler and an i7-4790K even at stock would go 500 times further in streaming.

It would make sense to REPLACE your 2 x 4GB kit with the 2 x 8GB kit. That's the best way to go about things for dual channel boards.

There's so many other timings you can't see other than the four basic timings (like 15-15-15-35) that most people go off of, so it's always best to buy the same kits specifically (not different sizes).

OBS barely uses any RAM and keeping a browser open with just your stream to read the chat (and having your stream paused) is more than doable on 8GB. MORE RAM is not what you should care about for streaming. What you should care about is good SPEEDS of RAM. 2133MHz or higher is recommended for streaming as it helps with the x264 encoder slightly. For your new kit, try for some 2133MHz 10-11-10-28 or something RAM. A 16GB set of that is easily under $100. But again, an i7 would do more than the RAM ever could. Let the RAM upgrade be the last thing you consider.

I am the livestreaming master, take my words as law. (I have to feel good about myself sometime)

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Hi.

A cheaper cooler and an i7-4790K even at stock would go 500 times further in streaming.

It would make sense to REPLACE your 2 x 4GB kit with the 2 x 8GB kit. That's the best way to go about things for dual channel boards.

There's so many other timings you can't see other than the four basic timings (like 15-15-15-35) that most people go off of, so it's always best to buy the same kits specifically (not different sizes).

OBS barely uses any RAM and keeping a browser open with just your stream to read the chat (and having your stream paused) is more than doable on 8GB. MORE RAM is not what you should care about for streaming. What you should care about is good SPEEDS of RAM. 2133MHz or higher is recommended for streaming as it helps with the x264 encoder slightly. For your new kit, try for some 2133MHz 10-11-10-28 or something RAM. A 16GB set of that is easily under $100. But again, an i7 would do more than the RAM ever could. Let the RAM upgrade be the last thing you consider.

I am the livestreaming master, take my words as law. (I have to feel good about myself sometime)

Mate, I appreciate the advice, but I already have a PC and I'm going to upgrade it, I'm not going to get a new CPU on a 2 week old system. And if you saw my Sig my ram is running at 2400

Mate, I appreciate the advice, but I already have a PC and I'm going to upgrade it, I'm not going to get a new CPU on a 2 week old system. And if you saw my Sig my ram is running at 2400

Also I did say LIGHT streaming, maybe once a week if that, just something to do for fun

I didn't look at your sig. Still all my advice stands.

Up to you whether or not you want to stick with an i5 for streaming or not, but selling the i5 at cost and buying an i7 and keeping your RAM situation will do far more for your system than any new set of RAM.

If you had thought you wanted to stream and still purchased the i5, that's on you.

Do what you will.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Is 24GB overkill? Is 128GB overkill? It is all up to your workload. My scenario was running 12-16 virtual machines at the same time and the peak RAM usage was 119GB so 128GB is definitely required. If you just game, I think 16GB is enough already. And since the retirement of the virtual machine host the excess of memory in that machine actually became more of a problem than a benefit.

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

There are two general rules of thumb for the amount of ram. If gaming then double your GPU VRAM, if it is a workstation that will actually be doing a lot of rendering or audio work, etc... then you want about 2GB of ram per thread...

I use 24gb and no because you can do everything you want to do without any page file its great for multitasking and some games can take up to 10gb ram alone

I did it for the extra speed benefit but i realized i did sometimes use 15gb ram i think never over 20 unless i run virtual machines but yea defiantly worth it for real gaming or multitasking.

• 4 years later...

24gb sdram was possibly overkill 5 years ago but not today.  Just having 30 browser tabs open along with a few applications can take up most of the 16gb I have in my desktop.

I am installing 24gb temporarily until my second 16gb ram stick comes back in stock where I shop.  My new Predator Triton 300 with RTX 2600 and i7 deserves better than just 16gb.