DAC and amp vs 2.1 computer speakers

danielhowk

is DAC and amp setup better sounding than 2.1 speakers on equal price ? 

if so any recommendations ? for about $200-300 ?

thanks

Not sure what you're asking here. Do you mean is it better to spend money of an amp and DAC than speakers for that price point? If so, one can't live without the other. Well, you can live without a DAC but when you get one you'll wonder how you managed to. :P

Uh wut?

Depends on what is plugged into the DAC and amp...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Pretty hard to listen to a DAC/amp on its own...

Uh wut?

Depends on what is plugged into the DAC and amp...

Not sure what you're asking here. Do you mean is it better to spend money of an amp and DAC than speakers for that price point? If so, one can't live without the other. Well, you can live without a DAC but when you get one you'll wonder how you managed to. :P

i heard for 200-300 i can get a good speaker setup. instead of the normal 200-300 for a 2.1 setup. so im wondering do i need get amp and dac for that kind of price if so how. im new to this. sorry for my ignorance :(

i heard for 200-300 i can get a good speaker setup. instead of the normal 200-300 for a 2.1 setup. so im wondering do i need get amp and dac for that kind of price if so how. im new to this. sorry for my ignorance :(

Sorry, still don't understand your question.

Sorry, still don't understand your question.

someone told me "That would be an amplifier from the "silver era" (1975-1982), a set of bookshelf speakers and a sub. For $200-#300 you could have a very nice system, perhaps you could even throw in a DAC. You could skip the amp and use powered speakers.

Whatever you do, stay away from "computer" speakers." 

trying to understand what it really means. and from my understanding. a typical 2.1 computer setup isnt as Value as compared to suggested by him.

currently im using http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443 . not sure if is decent or bad. but im trying to replace it. for a setup with 200-300price.

hoping someone can gimme a recommendation of good speakers setup.

someone told me "That would be an amplifier from the "silver era" (1975-1982), a set of bookshelf speakers and a sub. For $200-#300 you could have a very nice system, perhaps you could even throw in a DAC. You could skip the amp and use powered speakers.

Whatever you do, stay away from "computer" speakers." 

trying to understand what it really means. and from my understanding. a typical 2.1 computer setup isnt as Value as compared to suggested by him.

currently im using http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443 . not sure if is decent or bad. but im trying to replace it. for a setup with 200-300price.

hoping someone can gimme a recommendation of good speakers setup.

Oh...kay. For $300, you're better off with a pair of good speakers. JBL LSR305 are under $300 and go down to 40Hz. That's nearly as good as most budget subs, especially near-field. You can always add a sub later if you really need more bass.

Oh...kay. For $300, you're better off with a pair of good speakers. JBL LSR305 are under $300 and go down to 40Hz. That's nearly as good as most budget subs, especially near-field. You can always add a sub later if you really need more bass.

should i buy a dac or amp . with a 2.0 speaker then later on add a subwoofer. or straight up find the speaker u recommend . that is a pre-amp build in speaker right ? would a seperate amp or dac with a 2.0 speaker be better ? ( sounds wise etc , looking for nice quality sound produce in that range of price point)

I sort of get what you're saying... I have a 15 year old 2.0 speaker system (Pioneer XR-P470C) Which has 4.5" Woofers and 1" Tweeters and it sounds better than typical PC speaker systems which I've seen at JBHIFI (Australian Major Media/Electronics Store) Which you can get from $100-$400. I do however find that the bass on it isnt as punchy (like pop music) in the bass as even a $100 5.1 PC speaker system but if you want thunderous bass (like explosions) it blows the water out of sub $200 2.1/5.1/7.1 PC speaker systems.

TL;DR If you can find a nice hifi style speaker system wherever you live (With like 5" woofers and tweeters) it will be better than your standard 2.1/5.1/7.1 PC speaker system with just tweeters and a subwoofer. You can start off with the bass from the woofers and get an external sub woofer for when you want the extra boomy feel.

Mind you I've been using these speakers for ~10 years and still haven't bought a subwoofer...

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

I sort of get what you're saying... I have a 15 year old 2.0 speaker system (Pioneer XR-P470C) Which has 4.5" Woofers and 1" Tweeters and it sounds better than typical PC speaker systems which I've seen at JBHIFI (Australian Major Media/Electronics Store) Which you can get from $100-$400. I do however find that the bass on it isnt as punchy (like pop music) in the bass as even a $100 5.1 PC speaker system but if you want thunderous bass (like explosions) it blows the water out of sub $200 2.1/5.1/7.1 PC speaker systems.

TL;DR If you can find a nice hifi style speaker system wherever you live (With like 5" woofers and tweeters) it will be better than your standard 2.1/5.1/7.1 PC speaker system with just tweeters and a subwoofer. You can start off with the bass from the woofers and get an external sub woofer for when you want the extra boomy feel.

Mind you I've been using these speakers for ~10 years and still haven't bought a subwoofer...

i need to buy like an amp or a dac right ? 

i need to buy like an amp or a dac right ? 

no.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

what u mean hifi style speaker system. can show me an example. is it one of those speakers / woofers / tweeters have a build in amp on them ? 

what u mean hifi style speaker system. can show me an example. is it one of those speakers / woofers / tweeters have a build in amp on them ? 

Like speakers with a seperate receiver/amp.

that use standard speaker wire to make conections.

But i would just go with what @SSL said, unless you want to delve into your local craigslist to make your own system like i did.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

will the jbl lsr 305 be better than my current speaker ? http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443

At this price range I would be looking at powered speakers, an AMP for audio get's expensive, you should maybe look at the highest sensitivity speakers you can as they are able to get louder with less power.

However, $120 on a sub http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS5-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00CFOX420/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1439738060&sr=1-1&refinements=p_36%3A1253548011

Maybe something like this.

At this price range I would be looking at powered speakers, an AMP for audio get's expensive, you should maybe look at the highest sensitivity speakers you can as they are able to get louder with less power.

However, $120 on a sub http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS5-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00CFOX420/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1439738060&sr=1-1&refinements=p_36%3A1253548011

Maybe something like this.

you should be spending far more than $120 on a sub if you're going to get one

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yeah I didn't.

I'm going to need to get a new one some time, when I get a job

He also has a said budget. To each their own.

He also has a said budget. To each their own.

you're right. That's why he shouldn't even be considering a dedicated sub at this point.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

you're right. That's why he shouldn't even be considering a dedicated sub at this point.

That's your opinion.

That's your opinion.

you're right, it is. How about instead of being a child about it, you give me reasons to reconsider my opinion? Subs under $500 are not going to be any better than a good set of studio monitors for accurate extension, that's why there isn't a good reason to get one at the $120 price point. If you can't provide supporting evidence, why even bother with having an opinion? I'm trying to give OP good advise on what will sound best for the money, and the fact is, you won't get the best sound for the money by taking up almost half the budget with a cheap sub.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

answer should obviously be 1440p Ultrawide.

you're right, it is. How about instead of being a child about it, you give me reasons to reconsider my opinion? Subs under $500 are not going to be any better than a good set of studio monitors for accurate extension, that's why there isn't a good reason to get one at the $120 price point. If you can't provide supporting evidence, why even bother with having an opinion? I'm trying to give OP good advise on what will sound best for the money, and the fact is, you won't get the best sound for the money by taking up almost half the budget with a cheap sub.

He stated a 2.1 did he not? Stating that he must at least like some of the low end spectrum. And so was I giving OP advice for the complete spectrum not just mids to highs. Not to mention I doubt a bookshelf/satilite speaker in this price range will be very accurate sounding.

Again, even if he had a higher budget I'd suggest going DIY with a flat pack as it wouldn't compete with any ID subs on the market.

Just my opinion though. "Child"

He stated a 2.1 did he not? Stating that he must at least like some of the low end spectrum. And so was I giving OP advice for the complete spectrum not just mids to highs. Not to mention I doubt a bookshelf/satilite speaker in this price range will be very accurate sounding.

Again, even if he had a higher budget I'd suggest going DIY with a flat pack as it wouldn't compete with any ID subs on the market.

Just my opinion though. "Child"

He did state 2.1, however, that doesn't make 2.1 a good option. Also, the Audioengine A5+ sound very good, and can be bought used for $300 or less used, and those are a good pair of speakers. Also, JBL has a speaker that comes in around $300 for a pair, and they are better even than the AudioEngine. The JBLs are certainly very accurate, especially for the price. Also, the JBL and AudioEngine are full range speakers. So they do lows, mids and highs just fine. 

2.0, in a lot of situations is better than 2.1. Just because OP asked for 2.1 doesn't mean that he knows he wants 2.1, that's part of the reason that people come to the audio forum.

Hey! New SIgnature!