To sli or not to sli that is the question!

Assassin

Hey guys I'm doing a new build and so far I've everything except for the GPU and the motherboard. I'm waiting for the Maximus vi formula. My GPU budget is around 460$. I live in the US. Should I go for sli at this budget or go for something like a GTX 770? I'll be gaming at 1920 x 1200 on a single monitor. I really wanted sli because I have no problem running it especially because I have enough headroom for my psu which is 860 watts. Increased heat is not a problem for me. Which cards should i get for sli? And I'm sticking with nvidia.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Most persons would agree that a single card is the better way to go.

It supposedly eliminates micro stuttering (whatever that is) and leaves room for upgrading in the future.

I would just stick with a single card because all the problems that comes with a dual card configuration.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Micro-stuttering is when you get really small frame drops(like one pixel in thickness). This causes the game to become slightly choppy is some places. It's best to go with a single GPU in case you encounter a game that doesn't work well with SLI. You'll also get reduced power consumption and reduced heat output.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

single card

SLI:

-More heat

-less chance of upgrading

-more power used

-not every game is optimized with SLI

- Micro stuttering (with nvidia it isn't too bad)

-Less space

Plus better cards tend to have better tech in them. (I mean it doesn't really matter with the last few gens of cards but still)

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Hmm, maybe in should go for a gtx 770 for now. And get another one in the future when the price drops.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

gtx 770 for now. And get another one in the future

yep.

Error: 410

Hey guys I'm doing a new build and so far I've everything except for the GPU and the motherboard. I'm waiting for the Maximus vi formula. My GPU budget is around 460$. I live in the US. Should I go for sli at this budget or go for something like a GTX 770? I'll be gaming at 1920 x 1200 on a single monitor. I really wanted sli because I have no problem running it especially because I have enough headroom for my psu which is 860 watts. Increased heat is not a problem for me. Which cards should i get for sli? And I'm sticking with nvidia.

770 for sure, a lot of people are going to argue micro stuttering and whatnot but on nvidia its almost no existasnt, ive been using multi gpu setups almost exclusively for a year up until a few weeks ago cause i cant afford the second card yet xP i have no issues with sli despite everyones arguments against it

if you dont mind me asking, why so hard set against AMD? :p

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

if you dont mind me asking, why so hard set against AMD? :P

they have an issue, and people need to know

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

770 for sure, a lot of people are going to argue micro stuttering and whatnot but on nvidia its almost no existasnt, ive been using multi gpu setups almost exclusively for a year up until a few weeks ago cause i cant afford the second card yet xP i have no issues with sli despite everyones arguments against it

DItto, It's not as bad as everyone makes it out be. 

The Arctic Demon:  i7 4770k | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F12s | (2) Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 Crossfire | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Corsair AX 850 | Samsung 840 500 GB | Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White | NZXT Hue 

Peripherals: Logitech G600 gaming mouse | Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire with Cherry MX Green Switches | QNIX QX2710 LED 2560x1440p PLS monitor | Logitech Rumblepad 2

What issue? The one that's pretty much been fixed with the new drivers? 

In crossfire. yes, but a powerful single card is still good, and I don't think he'll be adding a third card in.

GTX 770 hands down in this situation

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Single cards are cooler and prevent issues with compatibility.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

if you dont mind me asking, why so hard set against AMD? :p

Things like shadow play and GeForce experience are pretty cool, and I've use AMD cards for a while. So I wanted something new and go with nvidia.

If you want performance go for SLI

IF you want less heat and power drawn go for single card...

I'd personally would get more performance from SLI despite the heat and power drawn and not be able to upgrade rather than a single card../

I'd go with the 760 SLI. better than a 780 in performance for less! This whole "cant upgrade later" argument is non sense. SLI compatibility is only getting better and for 500 bucks you got a serious ass kicker of a set up. 

Things like shadow play and GeForce experience are pretty cool, and I've use AMD cards for a while. So I wanted something new and go with nvidia.

Consider that the 7970 is nearly neck to neck with the 770, has more vram, and is getting very cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131468

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Personally, I'd always prefer to get a single powerful GPU rather than two less powerful ones. "Two Heads Are Better Than One" isn't always an accurate saying.

From what I know, single GPU setups tend to be more consistent in their performance. With SLI or CrossFire you could potentially get much more performance, but then if the game isn't particularly optimised for it you could get worse performance. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Definitely a single GPU card. I upgraded to a 2nd 680 awhile ago and regret it. In my favourite games I get shit usage from both GPUs and that's with a 4770K at 4.4ghz. If I didn't get a 2nd 680, I would have gotten either a Titan or 780.

I'd go with the 760 SLI. better than a 780 in performance for less! This whole "cant upgrade later" argument is non sense. SLI compatibility is only getting better and for 500 bucks you got a serious ass kicker of a set up. 

Let's not forget that many games and software doesn't support SLI configuration. So there is going to be situations where you are practically running with single GPU. Metro Last Light is one example (if it's not repaired already). Because of this, it's nearly always better to choose single powerful GPU rather than two mediocre GPU's.

I can understand people upgrading later to second GPU, but if you have the money from the start, don't waste it for two 760's when you can get single 780.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Other than for running benchmarks there is no need for SLI on a single 1920x1200 monitor.