Why not get a bigger psu?

Air tree

Well i'm going to get a ax760i for my upcoming build and i was wondering why people where telling me "oh you should get a 760i not a 860i" when the 860i is only 15-20 bucks extra right now and i was thinking a 860i would be nice for some extra headroom if i decide to go with a sli/crossfire setup, so for the price difference what would you do :P?

Depends on which cards you'll be running in SLi/Crossfire really, but if it's that cheap then why not? :)

Hmm I don't know why they would recommend a 760W instead of an 860W. I personally always go for the most watt's just so I can have the most upgrade and over clocking headroom in the future.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

why not the 1200i?

loljk

get the 860i its prettier and more American

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Somewhat off topic, but wow corsair braided cables for the 860i is 100$ for a whole kit of them.

If your pc for example consumes 400W and you get a 800W you will get lower effieciency because under 40-50% the efficiency can drop well below 80% and thus more heat/W. But if you have for example a 500W you will be around 80%+ with every PSU.

Hope it helped!

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

I would get the bigger PSU but it depends on my final wattage needed. 

Efficiency is important too.

If your pc for example consumes 400W and you get a 800W you will get lower effieciency because under 40-50% the efficiency can drop well below 80% and thus more heat/W. But if you have for example a 500W you will be around 80%+ with every PSU.

Hope it helped!

All the graphs I've seen (mostly NZXT and Corsair ones) involving efficiency based on total wattage being used shows that the "most efficient" percentage is about 60-75% with 50% being close to that and 0-30% being the worst. 

I guess it's different based on PSU, but that's usually what they look like.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i'm going to run a 9970 when it comes out, a somewhat good chance i will pick up a second down the road since i will be gaming on a 1440p monitor.

The only reason is the money. If that's not an issue, go ahead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The only reason is the money. If that's not an issue, go ahead.

This with 9970's in mind. 

I'm hoping for an early September release myself.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm always hoping for a early release but i'm expecting early to mid october.

If you are concerned about power consumtion then get a 760 if not might as well get the 860.

If you are concerned about power consumtion then get a 760 if not might as well get the 860.

860... o.O

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I read 'release myself'. 

I had a moment there.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I read 'release myself'. 

I had a moment there.

God, i laughed at that more than i should have i feel.

Wut?

860 is another year away.. why are you already recommending it...?

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

All the graphs I've seen (mostly NZXT and Corsair ones) involving efficiency based on total wattage being used shows that the "most efficient" percentage is about 60-75% with 50% being close to that and 0-30% being the worst. 

I guess it's different based on PSU, but that's usually what they look like.

The highest end PSUs are effective regardless of load. When I idle with my 1200i and the PC draws around 100 watts the reported watt in corsair link (where the psu claims to be 99% effective) and my measurement at the wall is only off by 2%

860 is another year away.. why are you already recommending it...?

Wut? We're talking PSUs not GPUs.

Wut? We're talking PSUs not GPUs.

Ahhhh sorry! I misread your comment and thought you where talking about GPU's since half the thread was going on about 9970's and such :P

Hope it helped!

I think for them to claim 80 gold or whatever they claim  they have to be 80+ % efficient at 20/40/60/80/100% load or something like that, so it should be ok.

@Air_tree Honestly if you have the extra 15$, extra headroom is always great.  When I built my PC I didn't need anywhere near 1050watts, ( I had a titan before the 780 SLI)  I was planning on another titan or dual 780's when they were released.  It's always great to have wiggle room

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089