What's with the bad Seagate rep?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Higher failure rates I think? I'm not completely sure.

There was a segate 3TB drive(which i happen to have 4 of in my fileserver yay) that had 50% failure rate. All the other drives are under 10%.

Seagate as far as I know is in the same league as WD. WD is maybe just a tad better, but that is my vision of it.

Now I see all kinds of idiots in Youtube comments (yeah yeah I know) that go 'hurr a Seagate drive failed me once' . (like dafuq every drive fails, and you just had back luck that it happened so quickly)

They are pretty damn good as HDD's go as far as I know, or is this wrong?

An HDD is an HDD, and i consider Seagate and WD to be pretty much the same.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

Seagate as far as I know is in the same league as WD. WD is maybe just a tad better, but that is my vision of it.

Now I see all kinds of idiots in Youtube comments (yeah yeah I know) that go 'hurr a Seagate drive failed me once' . (like dafuq every drive fails, and you just had back luck that it happened so quickly)

They are pretty damn good as HDD's go as far as I know, or is this wrong?

Higher failure rates I think? I'm not completely sure.

Because as we have argued countless times, Seagate drives have a terrible premature failure rate.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

An HDD is an HDD, and i consider Seagate and WD to be pretty much the same.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... yet this scrub went all 'we are living in the real world' and went on to rant about Seagate. (told him that 'we' must mean he and his imaginary friend)

I had bad luck with WD HDD's you might have bad luck with Seagate, luck.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Well there was one EXTREMELY bad article about them failing a ton. I think they updated it a year later, but it still ha tons of problems. Examples of the problems were very low sample size, uneven use, and using consumer drives for enterprise tasks.

terrible premature failure rate.

You know you can interpret this in 2 ways right? :P Terrible failure rate (meaning good) But yeah okay I get it.

Backblaze (I think), made a very inaccurate and flawed report that supposedly showed that Seagate drives had very high failure rates. That may have something to do with it. People just looked at the stats and thought Seagate was bad, and it spread from there. 

I have a 3 year old Barracuda, still going strong. 

I think it's due to the infamous 3 TB drives that seem to have stupidly high failure rates.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

To me theyre basically the same, but I pick WD every time :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I think it's due to the infamous 3 TB drives that seem to have stupidly high failure rates.

WD had those too I just read on an article. Also the 3 TB ones.

Personally I prefer Seagate but that's because I've never had issues with them personally and at work we've had far more WD drives fail.

There's also the price -  capacity - performance of the 2tb and 3tb barracudas which is unmatched in the WD lineup.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

i've had seagate drives fail on me lots of times. I don't really have a problem with them being around, but statistically you see a lot more seagate drives fail than any others (and that's not just because of Backblaze's BS report). Hitachi drives, on the other hand, are famous for not failing very much.

You know you can interpret this in 2 ways right? :P Terrible failure rate (meaning good) But yeah okay I get it.

Yeah, stricto sensu terrible.

And anways, this forum is the only place in the internet (that I know) that still thinks Seagate drives are "okay."

Everywhere else, generally in places with more people working in IT, and the industry in general, people say the same thing: avoid Seagate at all costs.

You might be lucky with your drive, but statistically Seagate drives fail a lot more than WD drives.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

I have a 3TB Seagate, and one thing I noticed is how quick the load/unload cycles increases, and that's not a good thing.

Other than that, yeah, Seagate and WD are both good. 

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

i've had seagate drives fail on me lots of times. I don't really have a problem with them being around, but statistically you see a lot more seagate drives fail than any others. Hitachi drives, on the other hand, are famous for not failing very much.

And what about Samsung Spinpoints?

WD had those too I just read on an article. Also the 3 TB ones.

3 TB drives are inherently just weird then.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I have a Seagate Barracuda from 2003 that's still working today.

Seagate masterrace.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I don't see anything wrong with them. Hell, the only Seagate drive I have that has problems is my 7200.7 that got so hot I had to put heatsinks on it. Although I personally feel that HGST drives are some of (if not the) best.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't see anything wrong with them. Hell, the only Seagate drive I have that has problems is my 7200.7 that got so hot I had to put heatsinks on it. Although I personally feel that HGST drives are some of (if not the) best.

Hitachi makes the best hard drives.

Hitachi, right?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.