GPU Folding Facts and Fiction - Configuration and Settings

On 10/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, Bigtruck747 said:

I think this thread answers one of my questions, but I will appreciate any advice given.  If a person is planning on building a computer, and optimize it for Folding at Home, would it be better to use an Ryzen CPU since GPU folding w/ AMD isn't as core intensive (per GPU)?

Thank you!

yup Ryzen hands down, more efficient and f@h doesnt need good single thread performance

On 10/9/2020 at 3:50 AM, DirectingGnu2 said:

yup Ryzen hands down, more efficient and f@h doesnt need good single thread performance

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2020 at 1:50 AM, DirectingGnu2 said:

Are you certain? I was trying to figure out why folding on even a few CPU (2700x) cores was harming my GPU (RTX 3080) folding PPD notably. I realized the issue seemed to be that having multiple cores running at 100% was causing some CPU thermal throttling, lowering clock speeds, and so single-thread performance. There were still many open cores/threads with 1-5% utilization to feed F@H data.

To confirm, I used Ryzen Master to do nothing but change all-core clock speed from AutoOC to either 4ghz fixed or 3.5ghz fixed. There was notable GPU PPD degradation when switching from 4 to 3.5 on the same work unit mid-run, and this was without any CPU folding taking place and no other notable processes running.

• 5 months later...

-= Topic locked =-

Please Read Below

This topic will be combined and updated with several other F@H topics.

This effort is being done in order to centralize and tidy the Subforum a bit.

Disclaimer: This will be a work overtime for me ( @SansVarnic) to fully update this topic with current information, but I am combining the following topics so don't be surprised if some information is still old.

• "Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518" by @Whaler_99
  • "GPU Folding Facts and Fiction - Configuration and Settings" by @Whaler_99
  • "For Folding Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ - Updated July 2016" by @Whaler_99
  • "F@H Web Client Dark Skin with PPD comparison by GPU / WU" by @LAR_Systems

Topics Originally posted by @Whaler_99in 2013. Thank you 🙂  we miss seeing you around.

Reorganized and updated by @SansVarnic April 17th, 2021

To recognize the larger contributors (that I am aware of over the years) to this information are as follows:

If I missed someone, I apologize.

@Whaler_99

@leadeater

@Whiskers

@Spotty

@Xsilent(X)

@Ithanul

@Ryan_Vickers 

@iamdarkyoshi

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER