Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Announcing new combined topic for F@H. Official LTT F@H FAQ & Guide.

GPU Folding Facts and Fiction - Configuration and Settings

GTX 1080ti vs. NVIDA Tesla K80 for Folding.

This question comes after reading through SansVarnic's post about his folding server; (Personal Folding Server Rig - Project Steamroller)

Looking at the K80 on eBay right now it looks like I get them used for $250 USD ... & the 1080ti would be at least double that.  So then the question would be, would the 1080ti Fold so much more, or use so much less electricity than the K80 that it would be better to get the the 1080ti???

In this article by SQream Technologies they talk about comparing a 1080 vs a K40 while doing "heavy database operations".  They mention that the 1080 used less energy(???)

I was thinking of putting two 1080ti's in my person machine to Fold with ... but now I'm wondering about two K80's!?!?

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

7 hours ago, Bigtruck747 said:

GTX 1080ti vs. NVIDA Tesla K80 for Folding.

<snip> So then the question would be, would the 1080ti Fold so much more, or use so much less electricity than the K80 that it would be better to get the the 1080ti???

In this article by SQream Technologies they talk about comparing a 1080 vs a K40 while doing "heavy database operations".  They mention that the 1080 used less energy(???)

I was thinking of putting two 1080ti's in my person machine to Fold with ... but now I'm wondering about two K80's!?!?

The difference is the architecture between the two, K40's and K80's are of the older Kepler architecture and the 1080TI are the newer Pascal architecture. Pascal is better all around and much more energy efficient.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS     |     TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES     |     FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |     F@H & BOINC Badge Request     |    F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 1 month later...

In your experience, what is the optimal slot configuration for Ryzen 5 3600 when folding both CPU and GPU. My GPU is RTX 2070 Super. Atm I'm using 10 threads and my FahCore_a7 CPU usage is 81.3 to 83% while GPU FahCore_22 is 9 to 9.2%. Overall CPU usage is 95 to 96%.

okey, now overall CPU usage hit 100%, CPU FahCore_a7 rise to 87. Lowering to 9 threads...

• 5 weeks later...

I had a TIL moment the other day while playing around to maximize PPD and wanted to share

CPU Impact

This is primarily a NVidia issue, mostly attributed to NVidia drivers. So, the rule of thumb when folding with a NVidia GPU and CPU folding, is to leave one core free per GPU to maximize your GPU Folding performance. In the case of AMD, it is simply recommended to leave a single core free for one or more cards as the impact isn't as great.

This was always the advice I had heard and followed. I have a 4790k and was folding on 6 threads, leaving two free. After playing around with my OCs and power settings, I wound up removing my CPU task entirely just to see what would happen. Not only has my PPD gone UP by an appreciable amount, but my thermals (and therefore noise) are better now as well since the CPU isn't dumping heat into my loop anymore.

Obviously YMMV, but it may be worth trying 👍

I think this thread answers one of my questions, but I will appreciate any advice given.  If a person is planning on building a computer, and optimize it for Folding at Home, would it be better to use an Ryzen CPU since GPU folding w/ AMD isn't as core intensive (per GPU)?

Thank you!

On 10/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, Bigtruck747 said:

I think this thread answers one of my questions, but I will appreciate any advice given.  If a person is planning on building a computer, and optimize it for Folding at Home, would it be better to use an Ryzen CPU since GPU folding w/ AMD isn't as core intensive (per GPU)?

Thank you!

yup Ryzen hands down, more efficient and f@h doesnt need good single thread performance

On 10/9/2020 at 3:50 AM, DirectingGnu2 said:

yup Ryzen hands down, more efficient and f@h doesnt need good single thread performance

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2020 at 1:50 AM, DirectingGnu2 said:

Are you certain? I was trying to figure out why folding on even a few CPU (2700x) cores was harming my GPU (RTX 3080) folding PPD notably. I realized the issue seemed to be that having multiple cores running at 100% was causing some CPU thermal throttling, lowering clock speeds, and so single-thread performance. There were still many open cores/threads with 1-5% utilization to feed F@H data.

To confirm, I used Ryzen Master to do nothing but change all-core clock speed from AutoOC to either 4ghz fixed or 3.5ghz fixed. There was notable GPU PPD degradation when switching from 4 to 3.5 on the same work unit mid-run, and this was without any CPU folding taking place and no other notable processes running.

• 5 months later...

-= Topic locked =-

Please Read Below

This topic will be combined and updated with several other F@H topics.

This effort is being done in order to centralize and tidy the Subforum a bit.

Disclaimer: This will be a work overtime for me ( @SansVarnic) to fully update this topic with current information, but I am combining the following topics so don't be surprised if some information is still old.

• "Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518" by @Whaler_99
  • "GPU Folding Facts and Fiction - Configuration and Settings" by @Whaler_99
  • "For Folding Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ - Updated July 2016" by @Whaler_99
  • "F@H Web Client Dark Skin with PPD comparison by GPU / WU" by @LAR_Systems

Topics Originally posted by @Whaler_99in 2013. Thank you 🙂  we miss seeing you around.

Reorganized and updated by @SansVarnic April 17th, 2021

To recognize the larger contributors (that I am aware of over the years) to this information are as follows:

If I missed someone, I apologize.

@Whaler_99

@leadeater

@Whiskers

@Spotty

@Xsilent(X)

@Ithanul

@Ryan_Vickers 

@iamdarkyoshi

COMMUNITY STANDARDS     |     TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES     |     FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |     F@H & BOINC Badge Request     |    F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER