Which 980 Ti to get?

Long story short.  

Max Overclock 

980ti EVGA ACX 2.0 = 1491Mhz

980ti Gigabyte G1 = 1512Mhz

Noise at load

980ti EVGA ACX 2.0 = 35dbA  (quieter than a stock 970)

980ti Gigabyte G1 = 40dbA (same as a 290x or Titan X)

My conclusion : Getting the 980ti EVGA ACX 2.0

Thanks for that very elaborate response!

Update: I can now get the G1 Gaming for the same price as the EVGA ACX 2.0 SC+, both at $922.

What about the Zotac AMP! Extreme edition ?

$960, so it's an option. It is however only offered by a couple of shady retailers, so unless it's significantly better, I'd like to avoid it.

So, granted the same price, is the "amazing warranty" of the EVGA ACX 2.0+ SC+ worth the roughly 10% lower factory clock and turbo clock speeds (1,102 / 1,190 versus 1,190 / 1,291) compared to the G1 Gaming?

Purchase day is here.

Any last minute input?

Purchase day is here.

Any last minute input?

I bought the Zotac GTX980Ti amp! extreme.

Its a fucking Beast.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

zotac reference! mine overclocks like a champ !

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Purchase day is here.

Any last minute input?

Double check the warranty in your country - just google "gigabyte / evga warranty norway" to see what each company is like. I know that EVGA is praised for their warranty in the US but here in Australia it's actually significantly worse than other companies like gigabyte. They don't have a local customer service centre so any evga RMAs have to be sent overseas and take a long time, but it could be entirely different in your country.

Personally I went for the Gigabyte G1, seemed very quiet to me in JayZ's review. Noise test at 7:20 in his video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-gCXscH04 

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440

I bought the Zotac GTX980Ti amp! extreme.

Its a fucking Beast.

You're so lucky! I ordered mine more than a week ago. Zotac was supposed to deliver the card to my online retailer this week but they extended the delay to next week so I'm still waiting... Btw I also ordered the ROG swift with this card. Can't wait!

You're so lucky! I ordered mine more than a week ago. Zotac was supposed to deliver the card to my online retailer this week but they extended the delay to next week so I'm still waiting... Btw I also ordered the ROG swift with this card. Can't wait!

I would be more lucky if i could buy the pg279q yet ^^.

You bought the ROG Swift TN Panel?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I would be more lucky if i could buy the pg279q yet ^^.

You bought the ROG Swift TN Panel?

Yes, I ordered the G-Sync 1440p original Swift. I think the 4k one would be too premature for my setup plus there may be better panels in the future. Also windows scaling is really lame so I ruled 4k out at least for the moment.

Yes, I ordered the G-Sync 1440p original Swift. I think the 4k one would be too premature for my setup plus there may be better panels in the future. Also windows scaling is really lame so I ruled 4k out at least for the moment.

actually there's zero windows scaling issues that ive noticed in the 6 months I've had 4k. I just set the dpi to 150% and have large icons and its fine.

its everything else that scales poorly!

steam has no 4k skin, so text is blocky and blury, same with afterburner. origin just refuses to go large so all text is tiny.

websites and other apps scale perfectly.

but non of these are off putting enough to avoid 4k!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Could've swore I already posted here... Evidently not.

Wait to see if MSI releases a lightning card if you plan on overclocking.

I dont go for 4k. 

The pg279q is 1440p too. Its IPS Panel, the rest is the same like yours.

I see no point in 4k for now. Dont have the money for two cards. 800€ is more than enough and 1440p looks badass with very good fps.

actually there's zero windows scaling issues that ive noticed in the 6 months I've had 4k. I just set the dpi to 150% and have large icons and its fine.

its everything else that scales poorly!

steam has no 4k skin, so text is blocky and blury, same with afterburner. origin just refuses to go large so all text is tiny.

websites and other apps scale perfectly.

but non of these are off putting enough to avoid 4k!

I use a mac for work so I'm used to mac os 10's way of handling scaling. You hardly see any difference, it's like every single image is a vector image. Anyways, next time I'll change my monitor will be in 2020 min when we'll get 16k 27" panels for sure :P

I dont go for 4k.

The pg279q is 1440p too. Its IPS Panel, the rest is the same like yours.

I see no point in 4k for now. Dont have the money for two cards. 800€ is more than enough and 1440p looks badass with very good fps.

you really don't need 2 gpus for 4k!

i made do with a single 770 for 6 months.

just got a 980ti and I can max out any game I own at 60fps+ with no AA.

bf4 gets about 75fps and gta v around 65 again with no AA.

everyone bangs on about needing 2 Titans but you don't.. yes if you crank up AA you'll get about 8fps on any single gpu.

and if need be lowering shadows in games and other settings that have no visual impact is the compromise you get.

I use a mac for work so I'm used to mac os 10's way of handling scaling. You hardly see any difference, it's like every single image is a vector image. Anyways, next time I'll change my monitor will be in 2020 min when we'll get 16k 27" panels for sure :P

I've never connected my Mac to my 4k monitor!! might give it a go see how the other half live at 4k lol

I've always been an EVGA guy, but I jumped ship to Gigabyte for the 980 ti. The G1 Windforce just seems flat out better than the ACX SC+.

I've always been an EVGA guy, but I jumped ship to Gigabyte for the 980 ti. The G1 Windforce just seems flat out better than the ACX SC+.

I'm on the same boat . I don't know if I want to lose evga customer support >.<

I have the EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0 and I'm starting to regret not getting the Gigabyte. People seem to be able to push those much higher and they're faster out of the box. I typically have bad luck with overclocking.

That, I am able to push the EVGA another +150 on the core, but anymore than that and I get driver crashes immediately in fire strike. It still boosts up to 1430 - 1480 Mhz which isn't bad I guess.

Also, the EVGA Classified is also an option.

I think you're right.

Techpowerup Review:  EVGA SC+ temperatures

Idle:  54c
Load:  76c
OC:  77c

Techpowerup Review:  Gigabit G1 temperatures
Idle:  48c
Load:  70c
OC:  71c

By Norwegian law, both the EVGA and G1 cards come with a 5-year warranty (all non-perishable consumer goods do). However, the country is so small that googling customer support experience differences in the Norwegian market doesn't really return anything of use.

Also, both cards now cost the same.

The Zotac AMP Extreme costs significantly more, to the point of being cost-prohibitive.

I will overclock the GPU (and CPU) in the future.

The fan noise on the g1 sounds horrendous at high RPMs from videos Ive seen. I think it actually sounds louder and more distracting than the reference blower. Im not a PC silence nut but that's kind of going too far in my book, especially with an open case like my 450d that has next to no sound dampening.

It'd be a toss up between the ACX 2.0 plus and MSI twin frozr for me.

The jury is still out on the Fury X, but it seems promising and could wind up building a following as time goes on and its drivers improve. Its really low temps are a plus and freesync monitors are a hell of a lot cheaper than Gsync. Plus ive seen some crossfire benchmarks of the Fury X at 4k that were extremely impressive.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

The MSI Gaming Twin Frozr V is also an option, albeit it $38 more expensive. However, according to earlier responses the customer support is atrocious.

So, the G1 or the MSI? Ordering today.

Thanks again for all the input!