4k@30Hz? How bad is it really?

PS2

hey guys, im just need your help on one thing

im building a cheep build for my parents, but as its gonna be used for lots of film watching, I decided to go 4k. Here are the specs

Intel Core i3 4330

Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 M.ATX

4-8GB RAM

Samsung 850EVO SSD (120GB)

625w PSU

Cheap Case

Samsung U28D590 4k 28 inch monitor

while i have selected a 60hz 4k monitor, I am planning to use the display port 1.2 output from the motherboard, which is rated at 4096x2160@24 or 3840x210@30hz, from the HD4600 onboard graphics.

My question is, how smooth will 30Hz look??.

The computer will only be used for light browsing and film watching. Also can the HD4600 graphics in the i3 4330 play back high bitrate 4k videos smoothly??. 

One last question: i know that there have been some issues with people only getting a 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 signal. Is this the case with this build or is a nice clean 4:4:4 image guaranteed???

It should be enough for media, Most media doesnt have higher than 30fps anyways.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

It will be very good for film, Web browsing could be bad though. they probably wont mind i would assume.

im building a cheep build for my parents, but as its gonna be used for lots of film watching, I decided to go 4k. Here are the specs

desktop 30hz is unbearable to me. If you want a nicer experience than your typical 1080p monitor maybe you should take a look at some ultra wides if you can't afford a 60hz montior. I would try and see if you can find some software to look your frame rate to 30 and see how it feels. If you had a gpu you could do it with ease. Not sure how to do that on integrated.

But it would work if you really just only want to watch high quality videos and not much else.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

desktop 30hz is unbearable to me. If you want a nicer experience than your typical 1080p monitor maybe you should take a look at some ultra wides if you can't afford a 60hz montior. I would try and see if you can find some software to look your frame rate to 30 and see how it feels. If you had a gpu you could do it with ease. Not sure how to do that on integrated.

But it would work if you really just only want to watch high quality videos and not much else.

IMO this. Movies, great, anything else, sluggish,.

MSI has a frame limiter,.. you can set 30fps in there even with onboard GPU's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It would play any media just as smooth as a 60Hz monitor cuz most (if not all) media comes in 30fps

but I would suggest getting a 32 inch TV instead of a monitor in this case. Watching videos and surfing web will be much much better..

I'd have not suggested a TV if your monitor had been more than 30Hz

There's always a way...

It's terrible. I tried it on my pb287q with HDMI but I immediately changed it to DP for full 60hz. I would rather split the monitor into 2 halves and use 2 HDMI inputs for 60hz each or run it at 1080p 60hz.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

It's bad. I had some problems with the cable, so my panel switched to 30Hz instead of 60Hz, it's awful. Unbearable, really, not joking. You feel like there's something wrong with your PC or Hard Drive, because of the stuttering.

Bad for gaming, especially if you get one of those crappy cheap 4K tvs.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Just go into the intel hd graphics settings, and set the refresh rate of your current monitor to 30hz, and see if you are ok with it.

It would likely make me go into a coma, but I used to use a 144hz monitor, so using even 60hz for me still feels a bit sluggish...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Easiest way to know is to create a custom resolution of 30Hz from your AMD or Nvidia Control Panel, and apply it, and see how it is.

In my opinion, it is very bad. I tried it.

Your mouse doesn't move smoothly across the screen, and moving windows is jumpy

Intel Core i3 4330

Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 M.ATX

4-8GB RAM

Samsung 850EVO SSD (120GB)

625w PSU

Cheap Case

Samsung U28D590 4k 28 inch monitor

while i have selected a 60hz 4k monitor, I am planning to use the display port 1.2 output from the motherboard, which is rated at 4096x2160@24 or 3840x210@30hz, from the HD4600 onboard graphics.

My question is, how smooth will 30Hz look??.

The computer will only be used for light browsing and film watching. Also can the HD4600 graphics in the i3 4330 play back high bitrate 4k videos smoothly??. 

One last question: i know that there have been some issues with people only getting a 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 signal. Is this the case with this build or is a nice clean 4:4:4 image guaranteed???

Unless you're gaming, 30Hz will be fine, My parents have a 30Hz 4K screen and I never see anything wrong with it

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

"but as its gonna be used for lots of film watching, I decided to go 4k"

Well don't you see a flaw here? What film comes in 4k? They are all in 1080p. I would choose 1080p/1440p@60hz with FAR better colour, I see no advantage in going 4k.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

*insert .gif of Linus running to the toilet*

I can't imagine it would be an enjoyable experience.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Anything other than video games you will be fine.

Games will be sluggish.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

The answer is no, an i3 can probably not run 4k, my i5 can't run a small bitrate 4k video without it stuttering all over the place

Python/C# Programming

Code to learn, don't learn to code. -Napalm

set your current screen to 30hz and find out

when i set the referesh rate on my screen to 30hz, my monitor says "out of range". i have a gtx 760