1440P or 4K?

Roughryder69

Hey!

At the moment i have a Titan X.. but i was wondering what would be better from an 1440P vs 4K.

obviously 4k is alot harder to push and i would need a SLI Titan X, but would it be worth buying another Titan X, or should i just stick with the single GPU and have 1440P?

To be honest, I don't see the point in 1440p. Most of the monitors are 27" and up and don't offer much more PPI than 24" 1080p.

I would go for 4K. A Single Titan X doesn't fair too badly, and you can turn up the settings quite a bit with two. 

To be honest, I don't see the point in 1440p. Most of the monitors are 27" and up and don't offer much more PPI than 24" 1080p.

You can get 24/25 inch models now. Those offer great PPI's.

I would go for 4K. A Single Titan X doesn't fair too badly, and you can turn up the settings quite a bit with two.

Now if they would start making super wide monitors with actual true 4k with nice response rates and 99% adobe RGB accuracy.... Without having a 2k price tag of course.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You can get 24/25 inch models now. Those offer great PPI's.

True, but it's still not too much of a jump from 1080p. 1440P 144Hz makes sense. Still, 28" 4K would be my choice. 

Now if they would start making super wide monitors with actual true 4k with nice response rates and 99% adobe RGB accuracy.... Without having a 2k price tag of course.

We can't have everything we want ):

I have no room or need for wide monitors really though. I prefer my multiple monitors

Nowhere does it say you need two titan Xs for 4k. I play at 4k with an r9 290. The higher resolution is WELL worth lowering a few (pointless imo) filters like ambient occlusion and especially anti-aliasing. 1440p a dead standard unfortunately, and 1440p monitors don't even cost particularly less than 4k ones.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hey!

At the moment i have a Titan X.. but i was wondering what would be better from an 1440P vs 4K.

obviously 4k is alot harder to push and i would need a SLI Titan X, but would it be worth buying another Titan X, or should i just stick with the single GPU and have 1440P?

The Acer XB270HU is the best monitor around; 1440P 144Hz 4ms IPS G-Sync.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

Nowhere does it say you need two titan Xs for 4k. I play at 4k with an r9 290. The higher resolution is WELL worth lowering a few (pointless imo) filters like ambient occlusion and especially anti-aliasing. 1440p a dead standard unfortunately, and 1440p monitors don't even cost particularly less than 4k ones.

I want to be playing on max settings... bf4 i get DSR.. about steady 60fps, but when it comes to games play dying light, far cry, shadow of mordor, tomb raider etc, my FPS drops to about 30..

True, but it's still not too much of a jump from 1080p. 1440P 144Hz makes sense. Still, 28" 4K would be my choice.

We can't have everything we want ):

I have no room or need for wide monitors really though. I prefer my multiple monitors

I prefer multiple monitors and a super wide. I'm insane.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

neither...  one of these (out in a month or two);

Acer xr341ck - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 75hz, freesync
Acer xr341cka - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 75hz, gsync

I want to be playing on max settings... bf4 i get DSR.. about steady 60fps, but when it comes to games play dying light, far cry, shadow of mordor, tomb raider etc, my FPS drops to about 30..

Trust me, most of the more demanding filters (ambient occlusion, depth of field, etc) make so little difference you wouldn't know in which image they were turned on if I showed you two side by side. The higher resolution on the other hand is extremely noticeable and beneficial.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can actually run 4k damn well on a Titan X if you don't go crazy with the settings..

"Damn well" is an understatement, and you can go quite crazy with settings. It's faster than 780 SLI / stock 970 SLI. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You arent comparing apples to apples. That is like, "I don't see the point in 1080p. Most 15 inch 1080p have the same pixel density as 30" 4k".

OP, 1440p is glorious. You have really ncie pixel density *even* at 27", as well, you don't need crazy setups to achieve even 144hz. I run the rog swift, and 970SLI (2x). It is great, I play AAA games at ~90fps, and max the monitor on anything last gen. Your titan x would be great for it. And then of course, if you are into the whole surround thing, you have that option. As with 4k, unless you have the large pixel collider you wont be able to consider such things.

It depends on your goals, but you definately shouldnt discount 1440p.

good luck.

"No Gavin, it is Apple Maps bad..."

You arent comparing apples to apples. That is like, "I don't see the point in 1080p. Most 15 inch 1080p have the same pixel density as 30" 4k".

OP, 1440p is glorious. You have really ncie pixel density *even* at 27", as well, you don't need crazy setups to achieve even 144hz. I run the rog swift, and 970SLI (2x). It is great, I play AAA games at ~90fps, and max the monitor on anything last gen. Your titan x would be great for it. And then of course, if you are into the whole surround thing, you have that option. As with 4k, unless you have the large pixel collider you wont be able to consider such things.

It depends on your goals, but you definately shouldnt discount 1440p.

good luck.

It was more that 1440P monitors mainly come in 27" sizes, with 24" being the most common for 1080p. I should probably rephrase that I can see the point in 1440P, but I would stick with 1080p until you could make the jump to 4K. Unless 144Hz is also important, then 1440p is definitely the way to go, as the 1440p 144Hz monitors are pretty much all better than the 1080p high refresh rate ones. 

It was more that 1440P monitors mainly come in 27" sizes, with 24" being the most common for 1080p. I should probably rephrase that I can see the point in 1440P, but I would stick with 1080p until you could make the jump to 4K. Unless 144Hz is also important, then 1440p is definitely the way to go, as the 1440p 144Hz monitors are pretty much all better than the 1080p high refresh rate ones. 

There it is. That makes much more sense.

And I agree. /highfive

Oh, one more thing OP, you can also avoid all that scaling bullshit with 1440p. I'm hoping windows 10 fixes it, but it remains to be seen atm.

Oh, one more thing OP, you can also avoid all that scaling bullshit with 1440p. I'm hoping windows 10 fixes it, but it remains to be seen atm.

Where do you stand with 1440p with all the bells and whistles (like the Acer predator with 144hz, IPS, Gsync) vs a 3440x1440p ultrawide with IPS and 60-75hz? It doesn't have the scaling issues that 4k has which is one benefit of it

Where do you stand with 1440p with all the bells and whistles (like the Acer predator with 144hz, IPS, Gsync) vs a 3440x1440p ultrawide with IPS and 60-75hz? It doesn't have the scaling issues that 4k has which is one benefit of it

Well, I love 144hz. It makes everything better, even dragging windows across the screen. For me, it was somethign that once i tried it, I couldnt live without it.

as far as ultra wide screens go, you are basically doing surround, just without the bezels, and not as much surround. However, the pricing is waaaay too high imho. And I mean, i bought a RoG swift which is crazy expensive, so that should tell you something.

Monitors, like any part, needs to suit *your* needs. However, if you are looking for a straight up recommendation, go 1440p, 144hz, and add more monitors later if you want to do that sort of thing. But first, I'd consider what you want to achieve, and what will make you happy. :D

Oh, gsync is amazing btw. Unless you run an amd card of course. Makes games as smooth as butter. However, that is more a fine tuning thing, so unless you already have some sweet hardware in your rig, there are probably other places to spend your money.

Well, I love 144hz. It makes everything better, even dragging windows across the screen. For me, it was somethign that once i tried it, I couldnt live without it.

as far as ultra wide screens go, you are basically doing surround, just without the bezels, and not as much surround. However, the pricing is waaaay too high imho. And I mean, i bought a RoG swift which is crazy expensive, so that should tell you something.

Monitors, like any part, needs to suit *your* needs. However, if you are looking for a straight up recommendation, go 1440p, 144hz, and add more monitors later if you want to do that sort of thing. But first, I'd consider what you want to achieve, and what will make you happy. :D

the hardest part is considering what will make me happy. december last year i upgraded to a Swift much like yourself and i really did like it a lot except it had flickering issues and then it died on me and i got refunded. so i'm sitting on enough money to buy MOST monitors out there and i'm stuck on a really tiny one until i order one. 

when i compare the acer predator (144hz, gysnc, ips etc) with the dell 34" ultrawide its really hard to make a clear cut decision because they both are really good in completely different areas, along with me doing such a wide mix of things on the computer (gaming, watching shows, photoshop work so on so forth) that the 34" is an instant win in some departments (movies and photoshop) but loses in others (such as games). That and i really play a bit of everything, its not like i play only CS:GO, i change what i play all the time and i doubt some of them even have proper 21:9 support while i bet others (Paradox games like EU IV, cities skylines) are probably beautiful on a 21:9 34" IPS curved monitor. 

I've been going over it in my head for days and can't seem to make a clear cut decision that i'm happy with haha! I do know my rig can handle either monitor though, two 970s makes it the most powerful computer i've ever owned

Ah, I'm an 970 SLI owner too! great arent they?

Sounds to me, like you want the 34" curved. You arent doing competitive gaming, where you need that super fast response times. The dell is huge and beautiful, and it looks very impressive sitting on your desk. 

If I was you, judging from your last comment, pull the trigger and get the big, bad, curved, IPS. :D