Android M coming at Google I/O this month

Which is shit from a customer stand point, you have no idea if your phone will be supported or get upgrades, they can still have android open but manage it better, perhaps allow customers the ability to install stock android latest version onto any handset with the power to run it (without rooting and fucking around)

They could have done that from the beginning, would have meant a less fragmented system and given customers better support

The problem is that you can't just take stock Android and put it on a phone without any modifications. What you are suggesting is impossible, unless Google manually modified Android to work on each and every device that got released, and then maintained their own AOSP fork for each individual phone.

A huge chunk of the time between a new Android OS being announced and it actually getting released on let's say the Galaxy S is Samsung tweaking the code so that it can even run on their specific set of hardware.

The problem is that you can't just take stock Android and put it on a phone without any modifications. What you are suggesting is impossible, unless Google manually modified Android to work on each and every device that got released, and then maintained their own AOSP fork for each individual phone.

A huge chunk of the time between a new Android OS being announced and it actually getting released on let's say the Galaxy S is Samsung tweaking the code so that it can even run on their specific set of hardware.

Hmm I guess so, I thought any android phone could be rooted to run with any version of android? or am I completely wrong

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Which is shit from a customer stand point, you have no idea if your phone will be supported or get upgrades, they can still have android open but manage it better, perhaps allow customers the ability to install stock android latest version onto any handset with the power to run it (without rooting and fucking around)

They could have done that from the beginning, would have meant a less fragmented system and given customers better support

Then it would be on Google to offer their OS for thousands of hardware configurations, their only options would be to either do ALL of the work themselves and charge handset manufacturers for their OS, which would have prevented Android from taking over, or do what they are currently doing. Customers DO have the option to install stock Android, most devices support CyanogenMod, but apparently 'rooting and fucking around' is too much work. They wouldn't have taken over if they had done what you are saying, which would have resulted in much more fragmentation in the smartphone market than we have now, their current plan is better than yours; at least phone makers are using the same OS.

SNIP

its just one of the main things I don't like about Android, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hmm I guess so, I thought any android phone could be rooted to run with any version of android? or am I completely wrong

Even if you root you still have to find a ROM that was coded for your specific phone. If you look at for example Cyanogenmod's download page you will see that they have over 300 different builds in order to support all the devices they do.

I don't know why but for some reason ARM is just a bitch (even Apple and Microsoft struggles with support).

Even if you root you still have to find a ROM that was coded for your specific phone. If you look at for example Cyanogenmod's download page you will see that they have over 300 different builds in order to support all the devices they do.

I don't know why but for some reason ARM is just a bitch (even Apple and Microsoft struggles with support).

Oh OK I see, hmm kind of annoying, I don't really have a solution, I just wish it was better managed, and more consistent 

then get cyanogenmod

Oh OK I see, hmm kind of annoying, I don't really have a solution, I just wish it was better managed, and more consistent 

It is a problem but sadly I don't think there is a solution. Google has tried to make it better by for example giving earlier access to code and moved lots of parts out from the OS but it doesn't seem like that helped. Something very good they did was make Play Services its own component that can be updated without having to update the OS. It doesn't solve the big problem of OEMs not updating their devices though.

then get cyanogenmod

Dont have an android phone (also cba)

It is a problem but sadly I don't think there is a solution. Google has tried to make it better by for example giving earlier access to code and moved lots of parts out from the OS but it doesn't seem like that helped. Something very good they did was make Play Services its own component that can be updated without having to update the OS. It doesn't solve the big problem of OEMs not updating their devices though.

Yeah Its crazy to see big manufacturers not updating devices

They chose not to be Apple, this is what separates Android from iOS, the point is that phone manufacturers can make Android whatever they want it to be, even if  what they mak eit into sucks.

its funny that androids biggest selling point is also its fundamental flaw. it means that companies use the latest release in a way to get people to upgrade there phone by not supporting devices that are a year old. and in reply to not googles fault...this \/ \/ \/

Its their OS they could have taken it upon themselves to not let manufactures release their own bastardised versions - or release an update for any phone to get updated etc - but they just choose not to

gooogle could have worke closer to push out updates faster

look at the xda and see how many ASOP roms there are for nearly all of the root-able major phones. most flagship phone share components like snapdragon processors so there isnt that much variation. the real issue is companies like Samsung wanting to add there stamp to the mix.  lollipop was released in October of last year and yet Sony on April, some 6 months after the release, lollipop is only just making it to there flagship z3.....ridicules

Customers DO have the option to install stock Android, most devices support CyanogenMod, but apparently 'rooting and fucking around' is too much work. They wouldn't have taken over if they had done what you are saying, which would have resulted in much more fragmentation in the smartphone market than we have now, their current plan is better than yours; at least phone makers are using the same OS.

im sorry but if i need to root or jailbreak my phone to make it usable then there is a fundamental issue there and its a piss poor state of affairs to be in.  also its not just about the messing around, which is a ball ache, its that root breaks several apps and befroe you come out with rootcloak or any equivalent, they dont work on all the apps, Barclays and sky go being 2 that pose an instant problem for me. it makes rooting a none starter.

as for googles supremacy, its price, simple as. it allows manufactures to offer phones at cheap prices. 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

inb4 Android Mountain Dew

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

its just one of the main things I don't like about Android, 

Then get iOS or WP?

Dont have an android phone (also cba)

>bitches about all the problems with Android

>doesn't even use it

im sorry but if i need to root or jailbreak my phone to make it usable then there is a fundamental issue there and its a piss poor state of affairs to be in.  also its not just about the messing around, which is a ball ache, its that root breaks several apps and befroe you come out with rootcloak or any equivalent, they dont work on all the apps, Barclays and sky go being 2 that pose an instant problem for me. it makes rooting a none starter.

Root can't break apps, you only need to give root to apps that ask for it, the other ones won't know the difference. You don't have to install CyanogenMod, you can stick with the manufacturer as their decision to modify Android causes their phones to be updated slowly, it's not Google's fault. You don't even need to root if you install a custom ROM, CyanogenMod doesn't require root and neither do most other AOSP ROMs.

Macaroon 100% 

Quote me on this

CPU: i5 4670k GPU: GTX 770 Mobo: Z87-UD3H RAM: 8Gb Ripjaws Case: Corsair 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

Then get iOS or WP?

I have an iPhone 6

>bitches about all the problems with Android

>doesn't even use it

Didnt say I didnt use it? I have android devices, just not a current Android phone (use my nvidia shield every day)

I can still complain (not bitch) about Android, because I see the potential, its just not a platform I am 100% fond of, things I like can still have issues

Root can't break apps, you only need to give root to apps that ask for it, the other ones won't know the difference. You don't have to install CyanogenMod, you can stick with the manufacturer as their decision to modify Android causes their phones to be updated slowly, it's not Google's fault. You don't even need to root if you install a custom ROM, CyanogenMod doesn't require root and neither do most other AOSP ROMs.

>talks out of arse

>dosent understand basic rooting issues

and i quote from the first site in a google search 

There is a good number of useful apps that refuse to work on your device once they detect root access on the device. Sometimes such apps so vital to a user that he/she might feel forced to unroot the device. Some people go the other way, they keep enabling and disabling SuperUser at times when they have to use an app that disdains root.

http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-hide-root-access-from-apps-that-detect-root-on-android/

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Rooting to get updates isn't the solution, most people don't even know how to install Windows updates how do you expect them to root a phone and flash the firmware? What if it goes wrong? 

Rooting and custom ROMs are an enthusiast thing not a mainstream thing, most people on the street are not installing CyanogenMod or one of the 1000s of AOSP based ROMs that are available for their flagship phone.

The fault lies with manufacturers being slow to roll out updates, and the carriers for being slow to approve of updates.

I'm an Android user and I will probably continue to use Android for the foreseeable future but rooting and custom ROMs isn't the solution to keeping last years flagship up to date for more than 6 months.