Static still exists :(

Octavialicious

This Sounds (no pun intended) like Electrical noise. you could try purchasing some Ferrite Beads and putting them near the jack and seeing if that helps. They should stop the interference and they cost next to nothing. chances are that you may even have one kicking around if you have a modern television, they sometimes come with them

• CPU - Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6GHz

Motherboard  - MSI Z87m

RAM  - 16GB Corsair Vengeance

GPU  - MSI GTX 970

Case  - Thermal Take core v21

Storage - Intel SSD 730 480GB +1tb Western Digital Red

PSU - Corsair AX760

Display(s) - 3 BENQ XL2411T

Cooling - Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

Keyboard - Gamdias Hermes

Mouse - Mad Catz R.A.T.5

Sound - LG NB3530A 300w SOUND BAR

Operating System - Windows 7

This Sounds (no pun intended) like Electrical noise. you could try purchasing some Ferrite Beads and putting them near the jack and seeing if that helps. They should stop the interference and they cost next to nothing. chances are that you may even have one kicking around if you have a modern television, they sometimes come with them

Would I put it on my USB cable to the DAC, or the cable going to my headphones?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Would I put it on my USB cable to the DAC, or the cable going to my headphones?

On the lead to your headphones

• CPU - Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6GHz

Motherboard  - MSI Z87m

RAM  - 16GB Corsair Vengeance

GPU  - MSI GTX 970

Case  - Thermal Take core v21

Storage - Intel SSD 730 480GB +1tb Western Digital Red

PSU - Corsair AX760

Display(s) - 3 BENQ XL2411T

Cooling - Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

Keyboard - Gamdias Hermes

Mouse - Mad Catz R.A.T.5

Sound - LG NB3530A 300w SOUND BAR

Operating System - Windows 7

have you tried a power usb hub, could be bad motherboard usb ground?

One more thing to try is to use WASAPI. Easiest way I know is to use foobar and install the wasapi plugin. Wasapi access the audio hardware directly, bypassing directsound. This is to rule out the possibility of the culprit being directsound and/or any other audio plugins. 

In my case, the power cable going in the PSU is the schuko typed male plug, usually found in Europe, or so I read.

This is the male plug I have on the power cable:

electricity-tiles-type-F-200-px.jpg

While the UPS female I'm plugging it into is the 3 pronged type, like this:

electricity-tiles-type-G-200-px.jpg

With a little variant on the bottom 2 prong holes that enables it to be plugged with round prongs.

So all this time, the ground prong wasn't used at all. A testpen would lit when I touched it to the back casing. Recabled it so the ground prong of the UPS is used (gotta be VERY careful not to mistake the polarities), and the testpen stopped lighting after that.

As for the RFI filter: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/331579-diy-noise-filter-mod/

It could be any one a hundred things then, I'd start by checking all the USB devices, try and borrow someone elses DAC to test. If you get static with those two then it is either corrupted drivers, a dodgy mobo or dodgy PSU/earth.

Ok, first, are you sure the PC is properly grounded, and the motherboard's installment doesn't leak electricity to the casing? My PC wasn't properly grounded, and I just found out after 2-3 years of using. Touched the casing with a testpen, and it lit up. Did a power recabling, and now it's properly grounded.

Next, I bought and installed an RFI filter (choke) to the external dac's power cable, mainly out of curiosity, but turned out to be a very good thing. It really helps a lot. All this time I thought the amp part of my dac is just not very good, low SNR. Turned out after installing RFI filter, the noise floor got suppressed by quite a lot, making it more 'silent' when the volume is cranked up with nothing playing.

The RFI filter was $2-3 for a 6 amp rating, and I'd gladly choose to try it first, instead of all the hassle of reinstalling windows.

Btw which PSU should I choose? My local store has Evga Supernova or a Coolermaster V1000. CM is a company I really trust, but everyone seems to like EVGA's stuff. Pretty sure they are both good so I will get the CM, but I'd like your opinions :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Btw which PSU should I choose? My local store has Evga Supernova or a Coolermaster V1000. CM is a company I really trust, but everyone seems to like EVGA's stuff. Pretty sure they are both good so I will get the CM, but I'd like your opinions :)

Dunno, never used a good/branded PSU. I just went with whatever comes with the casing, and when that one died, I just get whatever available with the same power rating.

Right now I'm using a 480W $6 PSU, believe it or not. 

I've never had any issues with CM PSU's.  To be honest, in my opinion if your paying more than $60 (Aus. you'll have to convert to your currency) for a respected brand name you can't go too far wrong.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Dunno, never used a good/branded PSU. I just went with whatever comes with the casing, and when that one died, I just get whatever available with the same power rating.

Right now I'm using a 480W $6 PSU, believe it or not. 

I've never had any issues with CM PSU's.  To be honest, in my opinion if your paying more than $60 (Aus. you'll have to convert to your currency) for a respected brand name you can't go too far wrong.

My cold boot issue has not been fixed by my new PSU nor the static :(

I will say it's a bit better, but I'm not sure how that could be

There is a persistent myth that external dacs magically eliminate static and emi.

Unfortunately dacs powered by the usb conenction to a computer that also provides a means for "dirty" power to reach a dac and result in static you can hear through your cans.

There is a persistent myth that external dacs magically eliminate static and emi.

Unfortunately dacs powered by the usb conenction to a computer that also provides a means for "dirty" power to reach a dac and result in static you can hear through your cans.

What's the relevancy? In the OP, he clearly stated he's using magni-modi stack, both powered by their own proprietary PSUs. Why bring bus powered dac into the discussion in the first place? I'm originally confused.

What's the relevancy? In the OP, he clearly stated he's using magni-modi stack, both powered by their own proprietary PSUs. Why bring bus powered dac into the discussion in the first place? I'm originally confused.

Did I ever tell you about my cold boot issue? I'm starting to think they are related

I can link the other thread if you want

The Schiit Modi is powered from USB port of the computer it is attached to.

So it does. The one I read that got its own PSU is modi 2 uber. That's error in my part then. 

I think I made a connection, after my PC randomly restarts on the first boot up of the day the static goes away

so I have static until the random crash, then for the rest of the day my pc is stable and I'm static free... this is so weird :(