Is it worth it to get a laptop over a pc? Can any good arguments be made for laptops?

Go to solution Solved by RogueCow,

How long did it take you to pack up to go to a Lan?

How long did it take you to set up?

Did your mom have to drive you and your desktop here? I walked...

That's pretty much all I have for that lol. I dread going to lans because my setup is a beast to tear down and move. My little brother on the other hand puts 

his laptop, mouse, and keyboard into his backpack and he is gone...

BUT

The bottomline is that a $1000 (Custom) desktop is gonna blitz a $1000 "Gaming Laptop" 99% of the time

Hello everyone, I am relatively new to posting on this forum. I honestly don't really know how to navigate forums very well. Quite embarrassing. 

I'd like to see what people could possibly say about laptops that could make them seem better than desktops.

I'm a desktop person myself. But sometimes, I hate to hear people put other people down for having a laptop. 

Can anyone think of good arguments to throw back at them? Besides the usual, it's portable, it's small, etc. 

Thank you you all if I even get replies :D looking forward to see some good arguments. 

-M

P.S. I also have this laptop that Linus reviewed quite awhile ago while he was still working for NCIX I think. 

Shortly put: Laptops for portability, desktops for power

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

They can be portable. Thats about it.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

the only plus that they get from me is that they are portable thats about it tbh

The only advantage is that they're portable; they have a battery, trackpad and most of the time are slim and lightweight.

A jackhammer/sledgehammer isn't necessarily better than a regular hammer. They're both for different uses. So you're not going to use a hammer to break up concrete, you're gonna use a jackhammer (sometimes a sledgehammer along with that), and you're not going to use a sledgehammer to put a nail into a piece of wood.

Portability is nice, they can still be as powerful as desktops (example, the GTX 980M is essentially a GTX 970.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Alright, so we can break this down some. It honestly depends on what you're doing on your computer, and where at. Seeing that you linked "gaming" laptops in your post, it seems that you would want to game. And ultimately, desktop gaming is going to be better, hands down. You can get better graphics for half the cost, all the room for peripherals and monitors, and there is always room to upgrade. However, laptops are much more versatile in that you can take them almost everywhere. If you like going to LAN partys, working at school, or even gaming on the couch, a laptop is definitely a good way to do so, although don't expect much gameplay time on the integrated battery. You're always gonna have to have a power supply and a mouse as well, unless you're one of those hardcore trackpad gamers. You can also treat a high end laptop like a desktop, but still have that option to move it else ware. But in terms of price to performance, a desktop is the best way to go unless you want portability.

mine usually makes a pretty good mouse mat, or lap warmer. 

if you're on the go often i'd choose a notebook, otherwise a (small) desktop is nicer

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Laptops look much more profession on the train.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

to say laptops are portable,light,thin they are very powerful if your like me and are always going one place to the other id buy a laptop but if your stuck in house get a desktop pc

When you are willing to sacrifice the power and convenience of a desktop workbench for the freedom of carrying your entire system around wherever and whenever your like, conveniently.

If work on the go is a necessity, then laptops have it all.

Also the portability adds up to more uses like docking it wherever you like (to a point) when you need it, eg. a TV for watching movies from your laptop.

Also for taking advantage of free Wi-Fi on coffee shops ;)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Well, laptops tend to be... you know... portable. I prefer using a full desktop whenever possible, but my case alone is 15kg when it's empty... good luck carrying that around with a pc in it, two medium sized monitors and a power generator.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For me I have an MSI gaming laptop which I love. It is fast and can play all the games that I want it to play like Far Cry 4 and Assassins Creed. However my biggest frustration is that temperature wise it doesn't maintain a low enough temp for my liking. I have a cooling pad with my setup but with the limited space in my laptops design I cant keep it as cool as i would like. So I would say that laptops can be as powerful as you need them to be like a pc (obviously not as high end powerful) but when you try to game or perform at a high level with them they can risk overheating worse than a standard desktop.

Desktop for upgrade-ability. Laptops are equally powerful nowadays (but depends on the budget and what you want to do with them and it comes at a premium price). 

Next is portability (though even desktops are now portable to some extent).

If there is a powerful then you won't lose all of your work on a laptop.

Just don't.

Hello everyone, I am relatively new to posting on this forum. I honestly don't really know how to navigate forums very well. Quite embarrassing. 

I'd like to see what people could possibly say about laptops that could make them seem better than desktops.

I'm a desktop person myself. But sometimes, I hate to hear people put other people down for having a laptop. 

Can anyone think of good arguments to throw back at them? Besides the usual, it's portable, it's small, etc. 

Thank you you all if I even get replies :D looking forward to see some good arguments. 

-M

P.S. I also have this laptop that Linus reviewed quite awhile ago while he was still working for NCIX I think. 

lk5sAcm.png

1. They are louder.
  2. If one thing breaks and warranty is over, f*** you buy a new one.
  3. GPU not strong enough anymore? F*** you than.
  4. Want to overclock? Enjoy that experience.
  5. They are weaker than desktops (see screenshots)
  6. Want a decent GPU? You'll be given an i7 with it for the most optimal gaming experience.
  7. No mechanical keyboards, and even if they do, they aren't replaceable.
  8. Bad voltage allocation to USB ports, thus disfunctioning electronics.
  9. Always overpriced.
  10. Always bloatwared.
  11. A beautiful, built in 14"-17" TN w/ 60Hz and the color coordination of a colorblind person. 

EDIT: added 11

EDIT 2: added arguments PRO laptops

1. They're not as heavy as desktops. (But desktops have carrying handles sometimes).

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Agreed lol, the carrying handle though. I gotta use that xD thanks 

Portability is nice, they can still be as powerful as desktops (example, the GTX 980M is essentially a GTX 970.)

No, it's actually as strong as a 770

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

How long did it take you to pack up to go to a Lan?

How long did it take you to set up?

Did your mom have to drive you and your desktop here? I walked...

That's pretty much all I have for that lol. I dread going to lans because my setup is a beast to tear down and move. My little brother on the other hand puts 

his laptop, mouse, and keyboard into his backpack and he is gone...

BUT

The bottomline is that a $1000 (Custom) desktop is gonna blitz a $1000 "Gaming Laptop" 99% of the time

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White