New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

I have run into an issue with vessel, one which i dont expect u guys to be able to fix, but just a heads up, your youtube videos loads just fine (even 1080p), but due to me living in malaysia, yes where u are now linus, vessel's video buffers really slowly, even without turning on HD   

I have the exact same issue in Scotland on a 23 Mbps Fibre connection i am unable to stream videos on Vessel. Also I am unable to turn HD off as it is "locked" on Auto. 

I can stream YouTube in 4K with no issues however... 

I am using Safari on OS X 10.10.3 but I don't think that's the source of the issue. 

Ok, this is terrible. There is no android app for me to use, and the website is so slow on mobile it is useless. On the desktop side, the video quality is low and the site is slow. I would rather just have a Patreon page or a donation button.

If putting the content on a different site is the goal, I feel a video section on the website would be better. Do what Roosterteeth does with the subsciber plan.

Nick has been answering questions all night.  He said to PM him your situation and vessel information and he'll take care of it.  good guy nick. 

thanks, just didn't want to overflow him with PM's if my problem wasn't a problem ^^

I have just watched 3 new videos of your on vessel. It seems like the quality I've come to know and love on Linus tech tips via YouTube has faltered. no more 1080p and I see a bunch of video stutter. I would love for this to be addressed   

The video quality is rather poor. The "HD" looks choppy in comparison to YouTube.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

"Backstab"?

You think its backstabbing to give people additional options for how to watch content, that don't interfere with the normal YouTube content. Seriously, if they never told you that their videos were being put up on vessel, you would probably never notice anything different in the YouTube broadcasts.

But as it is they told us so we could get a free years worth of add-free content and the biggest giveaway ever at the start by way of promotion, and you call that backstabbing? I don't understand you at all.

Also you know saying LMG is nothing without you watching is like saying that a world class football player is worth nothing without people deciding to watch them play on a whim, not because what they do is special.

They are good at what they do, therefore they create a viewership, which attracts sponsors and advertising revenue.

You have 4 options as I see it:

1) Forget all about Vessel and just keep watching Linus on YouTube as before.

2) Take up the offer of a free year of Vessel, watch the same content a week early and without ads and decide if its worth your money or not Or just try it and go back to YouTube and forget vessel as previously stated.

3) As you threatened, stop watching Linus, go to one of these other tech YouTubers and stop complaining at LMG for trying to secure income to make us videos for the years to come.

4) (In the spirit of WAN show polls, the troll option:) Bananas in Pyjamas!

You choose.

"that don't interfere with the normal YouTube content"

I don't know, having videos a week later on Youtube a week earlier on Vessel seems to me like this new deal interfere with the content on Youtube.

Use Patreon, OK. Use single/monthly/yearly donation, OK. Paid Twitch subscription, Fine. Propose cleaner videos and overall experience on Vessel, no problem. Delaying the content on the main platform, I'm not fine.

I'm sure it's not going to be that bad to have original content a week later on YT, but I think there was quite a few other alternatives to grab money.

No one is forcing you to watch any one certain Vessel channel, stop whining about nothing.

Just because someone you dislike is on Vessel, means you're so ready to stop supporting LMG on there? Where's the logic in that decision?  :mellow:

Apparently you don't read things in context nor do you understand sarcasm. I suggest you understand what a person is saying before you inject your subjective opinion.

Also, I think it's a little hypocritical for you to mention or question "my support" for LMG. And you have donated or supported LMG how again?

I'll be honest, i joined vessel only because i really like LTT and because there's the 1-year free trial, I absolutely support the idea and the philosophy behind launching into this new platform but after that free period i won't pay because i have this rule that if possible (and legal) i never pay for content on the internet.

That being said i wanted to say that the platform is meh, the site is way more modern than Youtube but not always more modern equals to better... there are things that i still find better on YT; also the site is awfully heavy, not only their "HD" looks worse than YouTube but my mobile i7 sandy bridge (aka not exactly low end) heats like crazy when watching a video on vessel... and that's when using html5 too!

I understand that these problems are out of your reach and more of the platform holder but hey, if vessel asks you guys for feedback you can totally tell them this stuff :P

Ooooh, controversy!

Linus Media probably already recognises that they'll lose a sizeable chunk of subscribers with this move... but there are some interesting points to be made:

• By joining Vessel at such an early stage, LMG has a hefty influence on the direction that Vessel takes - if we need a simple HTML view for the site, LMG is a good medium for suggesting this.
  • Income becomes much more consistent, AFAICS income is generated via subscription rather than ad revenue... although revenue is probably one of the smaller income streams.
  • By negotiating a free year for new signups with Vessel, LMG establish a strong connection with the userbase of the site - meaning Vessel must keep an incentive for LMG to stick with them. If LMG decided it was no longer beneficial to use Vessel, a ginourmous chunk of their userbase would likely disappear along with Linus. This means videos for a long time to come.
  • LMG is a large source of income for Vessel, paving the way for more efficient distribution which should solve most of the latency issues at the moment.

It's a very, very bold business move, one that I wouldn't necessarily make myself, but I'm not completely against it. Unless I see Vessel significantly improve in the coming year, I probably won't buy the next yer's membership - as I suspect many others also feel. This is a particularly motivational incentive for both Vessel and LMG. This means that you have to take the opposite route to Google/YT, and take on-board community suggestions without implementing too many of your own ideas. The massive problem with content providers today is that they firmly believe they have excellent ideas for their medium. A very good example of this is Dash - a move that singlehandedly cut off a huge proportion of the southern hemisphere, as well as many rural areas. Users can no longer sit back and wait for a video to buffer completely, and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit and stare at a 240p lego painting of a blob talking about another blob. That's another feature that hurts users - auto quality by default. That should be optional.

So, LMG, you have a long and hard road ahead. If you do it right, you might just be able to pull off one of the best marketing moves of the modern day content oligarchy... and in all honesty, I'd probably welcome it.

Let this be a warning to you, however: As one who has seen hundreds, if not thousands of businesses attempt to pull this off and dismally fail, I implore you: Be very careful with your capital, from here on out. Do not slack up for even a minute. Work your fingers to the bone this coming year, and you might just make it.

Good luck, I will continue to be an avid fan.

is channelfun and techquickie going on vessel too ? 

comments:

-website format doesnt seem bad, more simplistic but i found video quality seem to be less high def i guess ( could just be me)

-good luck with vessel, would most likely pay the 3 dollars a month, i enjoy watching those videos every morning (except Saturday) 

Edit: i can say that video quality is better on the youtube side, but i changed the quality on vessel from auto to on (HD) and it improved alot over auto. 

i7 4930k / Asus GTX titan / 16 gig dominator platinum / asus rampage extreme IV black edition AC4 / RM850 PSU / 512 samsung 840 pro 

I really like the idea of having more ways of distribution, but I have a few complaints about mostly Vessel in particular. 

Firstly the way to see what new videos are is just plain worse than the YouTube feed, the tiles make it clumsy and I can't easily find something like a subscription feed. Secondly, although it is different from YouTube, you still relay on somebody (Vessel in this case) to tell your fans when a new video is up. I would appreciate it if you guys launched an E-mail service that linked to Vessel and YouTube, seeing as E-mail is RSS based and thus owned by nobody.

It's great you guys are making some more revenue, but I would much rather see a Patreon like option with it's own rewards, or a more user friendly site than Vessel.

Best of luck with it though! 

-snip-

Why would they lose subscribers? They haven't changed anything. Every video will still be posted to youtube, you'll just see it after. One video per day will be posted regardless.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Thanks for everyone's comments. I also appreciate that everyone has been posting such constructive criticism rather than just silly rants.

The truth of the matter is that 99% of our viewers would have never noticed we were uploading earlier somewhere else if we didn't broadcast it.

Vessel is an extra thing, not a replacement to our existing youtube business.

Awesome, but Linus they need to make an Android app quick like bunnies. Show up and drop their stuff from varying heights until they publish it.

FWIW I think the community here might offer to help beta test for it.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

Here is a great video explaining why content creators need other options than just youtube (and its another vessel promo lol) 

anyway i hope this all works out for you guys

We are extremely excited to announce our launch on Vessel, a brand new online video platform aimed at providing high quality, curated content to online viewers 

Vessel FAQ

What is Vessel? Vessel is a low-priced ($2.99 USD per month) subscription service that provides early access to the web’s best short-format videos from many of its most creative storytellers and best video-based talent.

Does this mean that you won’t be putting your videos on YouTube or the free web? Our videos will continue to be on YouTube and the free web like they always have been. Vessel allows fans to support creators by subscribing to get early access to videos.

Who is Vessel for? Vessel is for fans who want to get early access to videos from their favorite creators and support those creators by subscribing to Vessel and allowing creators to earn a lot more per view compared to the free web.

Is putting videos behind a paywall anti-fan? We don't think so - ultimately, this enables creators to invest in making better and more ambitious content, which benefits every fan--even the ones who choose not to pay.

What if I don’t have a credit card or find paying challenging? Vessel is committed to keeping the subscription price as low as possible, supplemented with light load of advertising. In addition, in celebration of their launch, they are giving away a full free year to fans who sign up during the first 72 hours of our launch. Use our referral link when you sign up, http://vessel.com/linustechtips, to help support the cause!

Won’t this divide your fans since some will watch your videos before others? Even today, some fans watch videos the day they come out, some a week later. This will not change.

Is Vessel a YouTube competitor? No. They’re each part of a much larger video ecosystem, and each of them offers a different way to help creators build their business. At the end of the day, they’re all interested in seeing that ecosystem thrive.

Do you view Netflix or Hulu as competition? They are focused on a very different market, for professionally-produced, long-form content. Vessel is complementary in that they are a subscription video service for a different, but equally as important type of video.

What is your contract with Vessel? What is the terms of your deal? We won’t be commenting on our contract or deal terms.

If you have any other questions, please post them below, and we will answer them to the best of our ability!

Just wanted to let you guys know that we all appreciate what you guys are trying to do. We all know you guys are in the business to make money and have fun but the fact that everyone at Lmg does not or will not forget us the supporters is what i love about watching/following your channels. You guys have a LEGION of fans behind you and you don't take it for granted. That @nicklmg is why i will continue to log in multiple times a day to tune in.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Why not Vimeo? As far a i know, it is for free to watch

EDIT

Found the answer. 

AMD Athlon 2 X2 255 3.1Ghz | 2Gb DDR3 | MSI 770-C45 | GigaByte GT220 512Mb | Noname ATX case and PSU | Noname Optical drive | Acer X203H (broken) | Asus VW193D-B (for now)

Nexus 4 16Gb Black

The video quality is rather poor. The "HD" looks choppy in comparison to YouTube.

Looks good over here and the player is better behaved for me.

Actually some of the slow pans have some artifacting, but that's with me staring it down like it's a shootout.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

Would you guys think about moving back to only video releases on Youtube if for some reason Youtube in the future provided more of a cut for the content creators?

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Why would they lose subscribers?

A lot of people are simply going to unsubscribe out of spite. Yet further people will dislike the idea of catching content a week late. All it takes is for someone to miss, say, a week of LMG videos and they'll likely become disenfrachised with the name. They'll forget about LMG and the videos, and move on.

You might argue that "They're the sort of people we don't want", and there is a legitimate argument for that. However, this is all potential revenue regardless of the maturity of viewer. It all adds up.

I have a little question:

Does Vessel send email notifications when LinusTechTips has uploaded new videos like Youtube does?

A lot of people are simply going to unsubscribe out of spite. Yet further people will dislike the idea of catching content a week late. All it takes is for someone to miss, say, a week of LMG videos and they'll likely become disenfrachised with the name. They'll forget about LMG and the videos, and move on.

You might argue that "They're the sort of people we don't want", and there is a legitimate argument for that. However, this is all potential revenue regardless of the maturity of viewer. It all adds up.

If they are subbed on YouTube, they won't miss a thing.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Why are there ads on older videos? I was looking at the videos that LTT has uploaded and watched a few older ones (more then a few weeks) and they all flash a 5 second ad, WTF? I thought the point behind this video platform was to give people ad free early access to the content at a price? 

I'm assuming this change is mostly because of the changes to Youtube's ad policies (they were already stupid, now they're even worse :/ )  If so, why not post your videos natively on the LinusTechTips forums/website?  Since you own the LTT website, you could include as many ads as you wanted, without paying youtube or having to follow their rules.  At the same time no paywall would be required although you could still institute a paywall for early access/no ads if needed.  As for video awareness, you could try positing ads on youtube for videos and then providing links to your website in the description. (not sure if that's against youtube CoC)  I know you're already working with Vessel, but the idea is worth considering IMO  :)

@LinusTech @Slick

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)