New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

Umh I'm kinda torn on the vessel thing. 

First of all I think it's a good idea to spread the video's to both youtube and vessel. 
Youtube has been giving me trouble lately. (Slow loading, being stuck at s.ytimg.com loading... (Common youtube this problem started in 2012...) and the layout being messed up).

My first thoughts on Vessel.
Way to much eye-candy... a lot of (useless) animations and fading in. 
Lost of wasted space. On the home-screen (vessel) I can see 3 video's (On full screen 1080P in chrome). This same home-screen gives me 24 (!) video's on youtube.
Same when watching the video. almost all the screen is video. (If i want to watch full-screen Ill just do it) its not showing me anything without scrolling. 
Also I dislike the quality settings on vessel. 'HD auto or off" is not specific. Just give me options like youtube (480p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p or 2160p). And i'm missing the "pause video using space-bar" and the speed-options to watch the videos at 2x speed (Especially useful when I don't have a lot of time to watch).

I guess we will have to see what vessel is going to transform into over the next year. (Personally i think its just a temporary hype that is going to fade away in a few weeks)
Good move trying it out (But please don't stop using youtube).

I wish you guys luck, I'm sure you've put a lot of thought into what's best for you.

That said, I really don't see myself paying $3 a month for Vessel once the free year elapses.

Hell, the way I've gotten my daily dose of Linus for a while now has been logging into this forum and following the notification about a new video related thread, so I'm not that sure I'll be using Vessel while it's free either.

I have not been able to find channel super fun or techquickie on vessel. I think Linus said they would be on there. Are they up now or not yet?

im loving vessel its pretty cool . love you linus !! <3 ima big fan boy btw . you realy have inspired me to do the research on technology an I love being involved with this magnificent tech .

Why don't you use Patreon if you are so desperate of your fan support?

Asking $3 a month for early access to videos is a poor bonus for the one paying and it feels like we are losing something for the one who are not willing to pay (even though we were here with you when you started).

And we have to go on an other website to watch your videos. I love you guys but you are not that special.

I don't understand this line of thinking. A lot of us have been watching their content from the beginning. So what? Just because we have been enjoying their content for years doesn't mean that they OWE us anything. They put in all of the work to make this channel a success and we (collectively, not accusing you of this in particular) adblocked their videos so that we could get their work for free and not even have to look at ads while doing so. So this way everyone still be able to get their free content on youtube but they will get revenue from people willing to get that content earlier

I hate to break it to you, but LMG has 1.4 million subscribers and has contacts high up across the entire industry. They're pretty special. You're not special for watching youtube videos for years. 

Tried to browse vessel ... Terrible

I sign on for first time and it won't leet me continiue until I checked some people faces to follow, when I have no idea who anyone is, because you know I'm signing in for the first time. It recommends me some stupid videos. "Thumbnails" are over half of the page with the other half being populated by 2 videos, so I see 3 videos listed at once, 24inch screen and 3 videos links displeyed, great use of space!

Opening videos in a new tap doasn't work with middle mouse button. First page has register form and I need click a link to log in. No video description while browsing, exept a guys face and some stupid title. I'm going to stick to youtube. 

Just terrible, why would this benefit you beside the higher income? Aren't there some better sites? You guys are great, but vessel  :wacko:

I've written a blog post about my experiences with Vessel and how I feel about the recent changes:

http://www.thedevilonholiday.co.uk/vessel-an-alternative-to-youtube/

TL;DR: Vessel is snazzy, mixed feelings about the execution of moving an audience to a paid platform, giveaway looks very amaze.

Das Build:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.825 GHz

MB: ASRock X370 Gaming K4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Red LED 3000 MHz @ 2666 MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 (PowerColor)

SSDs: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe, 2x SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB RAID0

PSU: Corsair RMx 650W

Case: NZXT H440 Black & Red

Cooler: Deepcool Captain 360 EX

KB: Corsair K90 Red

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Screen: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide

Speakers: Logitech Z4 2.1

Headset: HyperX Cloud II

A guys, I think it is cool that you are upgrading and all that. But I do wish you had waited or gone to a platform that was finished. Tried watching your videos on my android phone and Vessel as no support for mobile web or android...so those of us who watch your videos on our phones at work and screwed for the first few months before they add this feature? It's just a bit annoying....I still love you guys and hope this gets fixed sooner then later.

I will try Vessel for LTT, but so far the quality is not as good (resolution is lower and everything is fuzzy compared to youtube) and with no android support its not of much use to me. Hopefully the situation will improve and the android app will come soon. For now I guess I have no choice but to use youtube (lack of android support).

Links in description are not clickable.  Strike 2.

I was pretty excited to use vessel especially considering you managed to get your viewer base a free year of service, I think we can be rather grateful for that.

But once I started to use it, what a terrible letdown: subpar quality, stutters, videos taking several seconds to start or buffer if they somehow manage not to crash midway.

I can get over the clunky user interface, I don't like it but I'm sure I will eventually get used to it. But charging a premium for such a poor overall service? This is mind blowing. I'm using quite a potatoe laptop (2008 macbook), but I can watch high res youtube or source twitch content without any problems (no stutters, no buffering, 60fps yadee yadaa).

I hope they will solve these problems, because quite frankly if it stays that way, I'm afraid this website will provide close to no benefit to the growth of your awesome company (it could even be harmful considering how hard you worked to get to the standards of quality you're at now). The only reason I went through 30 minutes of waiting/bugs/crashes of a total arse broken sh*t of a video player to watch a 10 minute video is because I love your content guys, but I for sure don't expect most people to pay for such a bad service.

I hope you will reconsider your decision of releasing everything early on Vessel as long as they do not improve their viewing experience. I will watch your vessel videos anyway because I can't wait an entire week, but it will definitely feel much worse than the standard youtube quality. Also I hope you are making quite a noticeable margin in terms of money compared to youtube, because a lot of your vessel viewers probably won't be interested in watching the same content twice and your youtube content will more than likely be partially canibalized by the Vessel videos.

Anyway, keep the great content coming !

Thanks for the free year LMG,

Good luck on making everybody happy.

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

Vessel video quality is pretty good but for a fans like me who have very slow internet connection from northeast India,its very hard to watch, i prefer youtube as from our location.

my download speed is 8mbps and it runs fine 

It's not about throughput or speed, where you are accessing from is also a factor, i have a 20mbps(seriously) and it still doesn't buffer smoothly due to my location  

I don't understand this line of thinking. A lot of us have been watching their content from the beginning. So what? Just because we have been enjoying their content for years doesn't mean that they OWE us anything. They put in all of the work to make this channel a success and we (collectively, not accusing you of this in particular) adblocked their videos so that we could get their work for free and not even have to look at ads while doing so. So this way everyone still be able to get their free content on youtube but they will get revenue from people willing to get that content earlier

I hate to break it to you, but LMG has 1.4 million subscribers and has contacts high up across the entire industry. They're pretty special. You're not special for watching youtube videos for years. 

I hope they have enough blind and loyal sheep like you so they can survive this backstab. 

And btw, LMG is nothing without its 1.4M subscribers, it's not the other way around. I can go watch the dozens of other PC hardware channels on youtube and they know that because the new products launches are not a week later on youtube.

Loving Vessel, and free year. I'll continue paying after the free year because Youtube interface and sub box is crap, they dont care at all about their creators. 

It's not about throughput or speed, where you are accessing from is also a factor, i have a 20mbps(seriously) and it still doesn't buffer smoothly due to my location  

not USA, central europe. 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

Also, people need to understand if you're watching on youtube. you're content will stay the exact same. you wont notice difference in videos. 

I like the sharpness and clarity of YT videos.. :unsure:

Vessel video play back was pretty smooth and I didn't have any issues, but the "HD" option didn't really seem that great, almost like it was 720p. It kinda sucks when YouTube has better video quality. But I didn't have any massive issues that prevented me from using the website, I'm on the latest version of Chrome.

I like the modern Web UI. I like the use of the width of the screen. That makes it so much better than YT for multi window stuff.

I also don't really mind the small fee if the whole experience was quality and you guys got a bigger cut, you deserve it.

It shows promise but I live and die by Watch Later. They need to implement playlists, especially a quick list like watch later, also a tag to know what I've watched already. It would be hard to keep up with all the channels I normally follow if I don't get a stream of releases and an easy way to queue them up.

Also it's been said, but I'm sad about the quality, audio and video are pretty muddy on my end.

At least there's something to challenge YouTube, someone will have to get better.

Play: Liten v3 (4970k @ 4.6GHz, 32GB Ram, Asus GTX 1070 Strix)