New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

If I see https://www.youtube.com/user/JellyYTon Vessel, then I'm out! It seems that people think having a video camera, a microphone, and something to say makes them a superstar (just like Glozell).

No one is forcing you to watch any one certain Vessel channel, stop whining about nothing.

Just because someone you dislike is on Vessel, means you're so ready to stop supporting LMG on there? Where's the logic in that decision?  :mellow:

Oh Lord I pity LMG for needing to say this OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!

THEY ARE NOT SWITCHING/MOVING PLATFORMS.

LMG IS SIMPLY ADDING A NEW PLATFORM. YOUTUBE VIDEOS WILL STILL BE THERE EXCEPT VIDEOS WILL BE POSTED 7 DAYS EARLIER ON VESSEL.

IF YOU SIMPLY IGNORE THE EXISTENCE OF VESSEL, YOU WILL SEE NO DIFFERENCE ON THEIR YOUTUBE CHANNEL SINCE THERE WILL BE NO VESSEL EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS.

IN OTHER WORDS, USE VESSEL FOR AD-FREE VIDEOS(besides their sponsors) FOR A SMALL MONTHLY FEE OR JUST USE YOUTUBE LIKE HOW IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN.

WATCH LINUS' VIDEO BEFORE COMMENTING HERE ABOUT DISLIKING THE TRANSITION TO VESSEL BECAUSE THERE IS NO TRANSITION. THEY ONLY ARE ADDING A NEW PLATFORM.

Thank you very much, have a good day.

Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue

So, If I already made a vessel account in anticipation of this move, What should i do?  Seems liek this one year promotion is only for new accounts, and it doesn't seem like I can delete an account... 

I signed up with your referral link with the same email that I created that account.  Should I not have?

Same problem here, signed up for the beta version to get a look around so I cant use the LTT link (I do get a free year since I'm an early access), can I still enter the give away?

So ..... I just registered an account to Vessel minutes before Linus posted that video where he said "Don't sign up to Vessel yet, 'cause we don't have a referral link ... yet." or something like that, but now, I checked on my mail inbox and saw a one-year free access to all beta users. So, now what? Can I still subscribe to LinusTechTips on Vessel after the one-year free access for beta users? I'm getting a little bit confused here.

oh, and btw
Username: Adleviade

At the moment I think it is 1080p, but they have been really open to our suggestions for higher resolution and higher bitrate options. Not sure when they can implement those, but we will be some of the first to know when they do.

I really hope they add higher bitrate, it seems worst than YouTubes 1080p, but that is likely subjective.

Congrats on the new distribution platform LTT.

Now that I have been nice..

vASSel just seems lazy at this point. You are a content creator focusing on technology. You honestly expect me to use a site that:

1.) Has no mobile app 

2.) "HD" looks like it was ripped from Youtube then converted frame by frame in paint then stitched back together

3.) Expects me to pay for content that is already ad-supported videos - on an inferior platform - on a device I do not want to watch videos on.

You can say it is just "growing pains" and they will be improving as time goes on but I did not expect LTT to jump onto something in such an infancy then blow their load on a giveaway over it.

I hope this venture works out well for you - I for one will continue to support you on YouTube.

Bwoop Bwoop its the sound of the police'

Stupid Question: How would you comment to a video on vessel?

its saying to get early accsess I have to pay

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

is vessel in beta?

Because I think it is a little buggy (such as play/pause, not being able to use the arrow key to forward the video)

Stupid Question: How would you comment on videos on vessel?

Does Vessel have any plans to include a way to watch videos played at a faster speed? I watch all my youtube videos at 2x speed to save time.

Nothing really new to say but I want to say my opinion =)

I am very positive about the Vessel idea but I'm not a big fan of Vessel right now =(

Few reasons:

-Video quality is horrible in 720p because I have a problem with youtube video in 60 fps with my AMD card and I have to disable hardware acceleration, the problem is that every non 1080p video is a blurry mess... 

-The interface is very confusing but maybe is only because is new for me, the biggest problem I have is that I cannot find a way to see only a list of the subscription feed like on youtube and the layout of the homepage with the little video previews is very distracting!

- I usually click with the middle mouse button for opening the video in another page...I am very disappointed that it doesn't work =(

Solved some problem i still think that vessel is a great idea!

EDIT1

Sometimes the video just freeze and refuse to continue even if the video is fully buffered ,refreshing the page solves the problem but obviously it doesn't save the video progress =(

EDIT2

About the video quality...This is a screenshot

Same problem here, signed up for the beta version to get a look around so I cant use the LTT link (I do get a free year since I'm an early access), can I still enter the give away?

Nick has been answering questions all night.  He said to PM him your situation and vessel information and he'll take care of it.  good guy nick. 

Stupid Question: How would you comment on videos on vessel?

bottom right, beside Following

Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue

In our Country Youtube is well optimized and well used . i didnt like the vessel. So Try to Stick  with Youtube.

I am not enamored with  Vessel's format thus far.  They have many serious usability features that are missing, such as watching in x2 and pressing space bar to pause the movie.  They also have poor features for sorting and finding content, but as they are meant for a bleeding edge (as it comes out) format that is acceptable.

I would still go through them to support your video's though, knowing that the return is much higher for you there.  However, if their service does not improve I will likely not be continuing on with them at the end of the year.

I signup but I already have one gripe and it is big one. My buffering times are back to the old times when I had a 3 Mbit connection. Now it is 32Mbits but it is laggy as hell. I think might be related to bad server connections here in Germany. I really do hope this improves soon. 

And now for the first world problem: Due to you guys I bought a LG 34UM95 and now there is no 1440p on vessel. Or atleast it doesn't  seem like it.

Overall it all seems to me that vessel is still in development (no profile pics for users, space to pause a video doesn't work etc.) but that is not your guys fault.

I am trying to stick with it for the 1st year, but if it does not improve soon I will be going back to youtube.

Good luck going forward and many greetings from germany. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.2GHz cooled by Corsair H100 | Mainboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: XFX HD7970 DD 3GB | RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX | Case: ANTEC P280 windowed | PSU: beQuiet! 650W DarkPower Pro

Now @ University in Munich: Games Engineering!!!!

Actually, I'm not sure about this change, to be honest I've never heard of Vessel before, but it looks pretty cool. I will have to get used to it, i guess.

Additionally, I am surprised by the amount of misinformation people seem to have about this move (starting with the fact that it isn't a "move"). You repeatedly reassure everyone that you are not making any changes to the YouTube format, and that the videos will still be released on YouTube. However, (as I have seen you state already) if you had not announced that you would be adding your content to Vessel, then 98% of your user base would not have even noticed a difference. The YouTube community seems to be very split by you even making the announcement that you will be adding your content to some other platform, without even recognizing that there is a zero qualitative difference in the YouTube experience.

My 2 cents:

1) Video quality. If i am paying money i expect the bandwidth, and video quality to be better than youtube. It is not. It's barely 720p, linus might as well record on a flip camera. Also trying to buffer in anywhere expect from the usa is impossible. I have a 100mb+ connection here in the uk and it is buffering. Ridiculous

2) App and website. First of all, the website is slow and unresponsive. And the android app? Well it's rubbish because you can't open it because IT DOESN'T EXIST. And don't even try and watch videos on linux!

Linus, why can't you code and host your own alternative to youtube.  

The layout looks too fancy/metro. I like the condensed style of youtube instead.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

I hope they have enough blind and loyal sheep like you so they can survive this backstab. 

And btw, LMG is nothing without its 1.4M subscribers, it's not the other way around. I can go watch the dozens of other PC hardware channels on youtube and they know that because the new products launches are not a week later on youtube.

"Backstab"?

You think its backstabbing to give people additional options for how to watch content, that don't interfere with the normal YouTube content. Seriously, if they never told you that their videos were being put up on vessel, you would probably never notice anything different in the YouTube broadcasts.

But as it is they told us so we could get a free years worth of add-free content and the biggest giveaway ever at the start by way of promotion, and you call that backstabbing? I don't understand you at all.

Also you know saying LMG is nothing without you watching is like saying that a world class football player is worth nothing without people deciding to watch them play on a whim, not because what they do is special.

They are good at what they do, therefore they create a viewership, which attracts sponsors and advertising revenue.

You have 4 options as I see it:

1) Forget all about Vessel and just keep watching Linus on YouTube as before.

2) Take up the offer of a free year of Vessel, watch the same content a week early and without ads and decide if its worth your money or not Or just try it and go back to YouTube and forget vessel as previously stated.

3) As you threatened, stop watching Linus, go to one of these other tech YouTubers and stop complaining at LMG for trying to secure income to make us videos for the years to come.

4) (In the spirit of WAN show polls, the troll option:) Bananas in Pyjamas!

You choose.